Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Garment of Shadows (Mary Russell, #12)
This topic is about Garment of Shadows
Archived Housekeeping > GARMENT OF SHADOWS ARC - Lending Lineup!!

Comments (showing 99-148)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 148: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Sorry I've been on holiday with no internet signal! Just replied and I'll send the book along!
Amy

message 147: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (Tangential1) | 1096 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "No joy from Phili, do you want me to send it to someone else?
Amy"

Hey Amy. Send along to Linda, s'il vous plait; she's next in line. I've got her address if you PM me (I tried to send you a message, but it looks like you're blocked or something?).

message 146: by Jen LD (last edited Aug 04, 2012 04:27PM) (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments A British friend warned me off that word a while back. Trouble is, it was my grandma's name! Yikes! How embarrassing a language divide is that?? And how in the world did "backside" migrate??? That I don't understand. And Amy, thanks for elucidating the meaning of "do his nut!" The finer points are always welcome! And it's in Azkaban, do you want me to give you the page number? I think we have the Bloomsbury edition (published in India, probs) but it may have the same numbering as the British one. I loved finding it. I remember listening to "go ballistic" and thinking "that's not in character at all!" and wondering what it had been changed to and seems it was an equally somewhat out-of-character phrase! Just when I listen to "Lewis," I realize how at sea I might be if I mixed with the folks across the pond. Idioms and stuff. I adore when they get a real character on and I hear things I have never really heard before. When one character was referring to his boss (Hathaway about Lewis) he called him "Himself!" What a hoot! "She who must be obeyed" or something!
Jen

message 145: by Lenore (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore | 703 comments All of this discussion about differences in the English language brings to mind a funny and quasi-embarrassing thing that happened on my recent trip to Australia. I referred to the small pack around my waist -- a belt bag -- by the common American term for that item -- a "fanny pack" -- and our guide nearly choked. It seems that an innocuous term for one's backside in American English is an entirely less mentionable term in Australian and British English! (Which makes me wonder how Aussies and Brits react to that word as a fairly common American diminutive name for women named Frances.)

message 144: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments To 'do your nut' means to lose patience with someone or something, to have reached the end of your tether (not sure if that's a British phrase!) it's quite a common phrase though and I'm surprised J. K. Rowling used it in reference to Dumbledore?!

message 143: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Jen wrote: "Amy! I am so thrilled to hear you say "No joy..!" I just picked up that turn of phrase from "Lewis..." He's always asking his sergeant "any joy...?" concerning evidence or suspects or something lik..."

Hehe, I aim to please!

Sabrina Flynn | 876 comments Jen wrote: "Roughly it means to get really angry or irate about something, at least contextually. Do you remember when Harry fell off his broom because of the dementors? Dumbledore was said to have "gone balli..."

I suppose given the context, we might have gotten it... sort of, lol.

message 141: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Katie wrote: "I haven't gotten a copy yet, If anyone is done with theirs. :) But I'm in the U.S., if that matters"

Katie, Erin is in charge of the ARC traffic...send her a message and she will get one to you.

message 140: by Jen LD (last edited Aug 04, 2012 10:32AM) (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments Roughly it means to get really angry or irate about something, at least contextually. Do you remember when Harry fell off his broom because of the dementors? Dumbledore was said to have "gone ballistic" in the Americanized version which is pretty clear he was very angry. In the British version he would "do his nut" which I can only guess means about the same thing...It's fun to see where the versions parted ways on slang and such. Later on there was much less of that because I believe, of an American hue and cry not to have a watered down version. We personally wrote to Scholastic to tell them we could take Harry, obscure slang and all. How else would we learn?
Jen

Sabrina Flynn | 876 comments Jen wrote: Americans would not have gotten "do his nut...." Never.

What in the world does that mean?

message 138: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie | 4 comments I haven't gotten a copy yet, If anyone is done with theirs. :) But I'm in the U.S., if that matters

message 137: by Jen LD (last edited Aug 04, 2012 04:26AM) (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments Amy! I am so thrilled to hear you say "No joy..!" I just picked up that turn of phrase from "Lewis..." He's always asking his sergeant "any joy...?" concerning evidence or suspects or something like that. I thought it was very cute (we Americans think everything from babies to new tennis shoes are cute. Sorry!) But that's one thing so interesting about words. The minute you are introduced to a new word or phrase, you begin to notice it all around you!
Jen

message 136: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments No joy from Phili, do you want me to send it to someone else?
Amy

message 135: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments One of my favorite HP things we acquired is a copy of "Azkaban" that we got in India via British publishing. I knew there were some words that Scholastic had to have changed. "Go ballistic" my eye! Went right to that page and understanding dawned on me. Forget trainers. Forget jumpers. Even skips...Americans would not have gotten "do his nut...." Never.
Jen

message 134: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like having multiple formats for the books I really like. I think I have Harry Potter in something like seven formats (including printings from other countries and ebooks...I should just buy the audios too ;-P). I've been meaning to buy all the Mary Russells in ebook, but it kills me to spend $10 on an ebook of something I already have in mass market paperback. I'm pretty sure I have a digital copy of BEEK somewhere on one of my harddrives (from the giveaway a couple of years ago), but darned if I can find it now.

message 133: by Regan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regan | 87 comments Erin wrote: "I have a feeling that we've all probably read/purchased copies of this, but... For anyone interested, there's a giveaway for paperbacks of Pirate King up on Goodreads right now.

Kind of off topic ..."

Thanks for the heads up. I have an audio copy, but not a paper copy. I like re-reading in different formats for books I really like. I rarely buy paper books anymore (between the audio and the e-books), but one of these days I'd like to have a full set of the Mary Russell books in at least trade paper or hardcover. (My introduction to MR came mid-series in a mass market paperback -- I'll probably upgrade it one of these days, too).

message 132: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have a feeling that we've all probably read/purchased copies of this, but... For anyone interested, there's a giveaway for paperbacks of Pirate King up on Goodreads right now.

Kind of off topic for Garment of Shadows, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

message 131: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments That tea was a very nice touch...Hope you have a wonderful time with GARM!
Jen

message 130: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Jen, and all,

The ARC came and I swear, I feel like a kid at Christmas! I'll be getting out my old teapot to steep some of this Twinings tonight (thank you Vicki) and settle in for a comfortable evening with an author who over the years has come to seem like an old friend.

message 129: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments Well, I certainly can't wait to hear what you think! Again, apologies for being so remiss. I have been working on a volunteer project at my job(I usually spend the summers ferrying my kids hither and yon) and it's been more of a project than I expected. I have spent a lot of time on it mostly because I am so rusty!
jEN

message 128: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Jen wrote: "I think something has happened because the postal worker told me that media would take "up to 10 days" while first class would be there on Weds. I was so embarrassed by my failure to send the book ..."

Jen, really, not to worry...it is such a relief to know I hadn't lost it on this end...we have two delivery persons on this route and while one is really great, her counterpart -- seems to have periods of other things on his mind. :o(

I look forward to having a guaranteed good book to read this week as I am about to climb the walls for something dependably wonderful to get my teeth into.

message 127: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments That there is a great deal of variability in the system has been my experience as well. But I did gain confidence in the USPS a couple of weeks ago when I sent my nephew a care package at camp. I mailed it first class on a Saturday and he received it on the following Monday from Madison to NC. I was impressed.
Jen

message 126: by Lenore (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore | 703 comments Well, the post office website says "2 to 8 days," but my experience is that within the continental U.S. (which are the only destinations with which I have experience) it's not usually that long. Still, as they say, your mileage may vary.

message 125: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments I think something has happened because the postal worker told me that media would take "up to 10 days" while first class would be there on Weds. I was so embarrassed by my failure to send the book in a timely fashion, I sent it first class. Heck the actual book will be out soon....
Jen

message 124: by Lenore (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore | 703 comments As a sometime seller on Amazon, I generally send stuff media mail, and although the predicted rate is very slow, I find that it is usually not much slower than first class. Although I admit to occasions when it has taken an age, that's usually not the case.

message 123: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

It drives me a little nuts that "media" rate is like weeks long. All the media things that I am mailing I usually want much sooner than that! I almost always send flat rate priority these days.

message 122: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments PatK wrote: "Oh that is fine...I was so fearful it had been lost or somehow I was responsible...thanks so much! Will continue to look forward to its arrival."
It's off! And since the book rate was only slightly faster than than a mini-ice age, I sent it first class so you may just have it in your hands by Wednesday!
Cheers!
Jen

message 121: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments That's fine. I'll do that, thanks Erin :-)

message 120: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy wrote: "Hi,
I've finished now! Who should it go to next??
Amy"

Try getting in touch with Phili one more time (I think Sonja had trouble getting a reply) and if she doesn't respond in a couple of days, drop me a message and I'll let you know who to send it to. I think she was the last on the list on your side of the pond, so it'll be coming back to the US if she doesn't reply, if that's okay?

message 119: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Oh that is fine...I was so fearful it had been lost or somehow I was responsible...thanks so much! Will continue to look forward to its arrival.

message 118: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments That's my fault Pat. I stupidly forgot about it. It's just been addressed and I will drop it off at about 2pm today and you should get it within 3-4 days. I apologize profusely!
Jen

message 117: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Jeez, you think the US Post Office can't find Tallahassee? Still waiting on pins and needles for the ARC...

message 116: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Hi,
I've finished now! Who should it go to next??
Amy

message 115: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Sonja,
It arrived this morning! Thank you :-)
Amy

message 114: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Whoo hoo! :D

message 113: by Sonja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonja | 3 comments Hi Erin,

I tried to contact Phili but got no reply either, so I contacted Amy again and now I'm going to send it to her.

Sonja

message 112: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments Hey Erin!
I have a copy and contacted Linda to give it to her and have not heard back. PM me and tell me who to send it to next.
Jen

message 111: by Erin (last edited Jul 11, 2012 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay! Congrats! And that's super nice of you, thanks! =D

ETA: Any other updates on book location status, anyone?

message 110: by Jessica C. (new) - added it

Jessica C. (wispofacloud) | 25 comments Erin, if you want to take my name off the list, I just won the first ARC giveaway from Mutterings. Once I get it and read it, I would be happy to add it to the pool as long as I get it back. :D

message 109: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (Amy_Perry) | 201 comments Hi Sonja,
Yes you can send to Phili first that's fine with me!
Amy

message 108: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments I guess since I have no idea where to send the book to Linda, I should go on to the next person. That would be Claire, I believe. Someone, Claire, pm me your address!
jEN

message 107: by Sonja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonja | 3 comments I'm almost finished! Amy, you're the next European on the list, but I can't send you a PM to ask for your mailing address. Hopefully I can reach you this way. If you prefer I send it to Phili first, just let me know!

message 106: by Erin (last edited Aug 20, 2012 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your copy, Sabrina! So that makes three copies floating around the VBCers...though I only have two listed (I have no clue where the third book is right now...speak up if you know?).

And I think it's a great idea to have one copy going through Europe to keep the shipping down. I think we only have three people out that way.

So, updating the list (people currently in possession are bolded):

Caryn (??)
Linda
Katie
Amy (UK)
Sonja (EU)
Claire
Kerry
Jessica C. (won a copy! yay!)
Sarah K.
Jen
PatK
Phili (EU)
Gina
Lynne

Sabrina Flynn | 876 comments I put my ARC in circulation and sent it to Sonja who is in Europe. I know she's in the middle of the list, but she's a friend and I figured I'd save someone the shipping fees. So maybe she can send it to the others who are in Europe to save on shipping costs after she's done reading it.

message 104: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

PatK wrote: "I just started it per your recommendation and am quite enjoying it! Have you read the sequels too?"

Yes, I'm up to the latest. There are definitely some eyeroll-worthy points in the later books (none of them quite stand up to the first book), but still pretty good reads. One of those series that I read just because I love the characters...even when the situations they're in seem way over the top.

I haven't picked up any of her other series (about Lord John, a character we meet in the second book of the Outlander series), but it's peripherally related and supposedly has quite a bit of cross over as the two series go on.

Sabrina Flynn | 876 comments I find it kind of funny that I'm entirely capable of reading creepy murder thrillers (like The Alienist for example) and have trouble with horror stories. They seem so closely related; especially when the author gives you a peek into the head of the killer and you see the horrible things he's doing. Maybe it's just a level of description, though.

Eeek, Jen and Erin, you are scaring me now! See, I have never even tried to read a book from the horror genre, so I have no idea how they differ from something like Alienist, which I enjoyed. Maybe it's intent? As in, Alienist is unraveling a mystery, whereas, Horror is intended to terrify? LOL, I'm completely clueless about the genre.

Maybe I'll attempt a Stephen King since he's the most well known, as far as I know anyway.

message 102: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (PKlein) | 302 comments Erin wrote: "I've always steered clear of horror and romance books. Or well, overtly romance? I actually really liked Outlander, which was originally shelved as romance, apparently. I feel like part of why r..."

I just started it per your recommendation and am quite enjoying it! Have you read the sequels too?

message 101: by Jen LD (last edited Jun 10, 2012 03:47PM) (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments I picked up the works of H.P. Lovecraft for another group I was trying out and was so disgusted by the blatant racism and xenophobia in them that I quit him and the group. If he had been living in Germany he at the time, he would have been a rabid Nazi.

According to "Feminists for Choice,*" eugenics (and the inherent belief that some races were superior to others) was cutting edge science in the 1920's and 1930's. What you might be finding an anathema, was an accepted idea of the time and given the merest of chances you might find many others who voiced the same types of opinions in other formats and endeavors.
Jen
*http://feministsforchoice.com/was-mar...

message 100: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 6 comments Laurie wrote: "Just to let you know, the ARC (or as they call them now, ARE) is not the final edition of the manuscript, since there were a bajillion small changes and improvements. If you want the definitive LR..."

PatK wrote: "ME OH ME OH ME TOO!"

I think it is pretty cool to read an ARC or ARE (whatever the term du jour is) because it is a good way to observe the evolution of a story. I hope I get a shot at reading it.

message 99: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 420 comments I know "War of the Worlds" is not technically horror although it was pretty horrible, at least the movie, but I found I could watch it once I realized how improbable the premise was. After that I saw a tale of redemption (Tom Cruise) and a reaffirmation of a family's love for each other. Of course that was mixed in with a heckuva lotta chaff....
Jen

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dragon Actually (other topics)
The Dragonbone Chair (other topics)
City of Golden Shadow (other topics)
Shadowmarch (other topics)
The War of the Flowers (other topics)
More...