Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Change book cover

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments Hi, I recently changed the cover on a book available at amazon (only). Can anyone possibly help with changing to the new cover here on Goodreads? The new image can be seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Happened-Jerry-...

Please let me know if I need to send the new cover art somewhere, or how to upload it.

Many thanks

John Barlow

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 22596 comments Mod
We don't change existing (published) covers, but we can add an alternate cover edition.

We cannot use booksellers like Amazon as a source of covers. An author site, a publisher site -- those are fine sources.

message 3: by Jaden (new)

Jaden | 3 comments I think it should be fine in this case since it's the kindle edition cover, so I added an alternate cover edition here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 4: by John (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments rivka wrote: "We don't change existing (published) covers, but we can add an alternate cover edition.

We cannot use booksellers like Amazon as a source of covers. An author site, a publisher site -- those are f..."

rivka wrote: "We don't change existing (published) covers, but we can add an alternate cover edition.

We cannot use booksellers like Amazon as a source of covers. An author site, a publisher site -- those are f..."

Hi, thanks for your answer. however, on following your link, I get to a page that seems to be fort adding new books.

Is it really THAT difficult to switch from one cover to another? The book is only available at amazon, I am the author, and the old cover (seen on goodreads) is unavailable anywhere in the world.

Sorry to be a pain, but I really cannot see how to do this! It's just a cover. It just needs changing. Please help me...!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jaden wrote: "I think it should be fine in this case"

No, it's not.

message 6: by John (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments rivka wrote: "Jaden wrote: "I think it should be fine in this case"

No, it's not."

Jaden, I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong by requesting this? Thanks, JohnB

message 7: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3545 comments John all rivka is saying is we don't use any info at all from Amazon.

message 8: by John (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments But what do I DO? It's just a cover. Shouldn't this be simple? I'm here for info, that's all. Please, can you tell me how I switch a cover? JB

message 9: by Paula (last edited Apr 18, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 4669 comments We do not switch a cover, people who buy and read the book want the cover of the book they bought on their shelves.

An alternate cover has been created under your author profile and is combined with the first edition.

We should not be using ANY data from amazon so next time please either provide a link to the publisher site, author website or upload the image to your profile section as an additional photo were it can be pick up and uploaded.

message 10: by Jaden (last edited Apr 18, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Jaden | 3 comments lafon since an accepted source is a goodreads author & John is one, why can't his request be dealt with? And we are talking about kindle edition, which means amazon stuff. Are those titles supposed to be with empty covers?

John, I still think it should be fine for the reasons stated above. If the rest don't agree though, please add the cover in your website, so that it can be used as an acceptable source and no one will remove the alt. cover edition.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments John wrote: "the old cover (seen on goodreads) is unavailable anywhere in the world."

It's available on the books of anyone who read or purchased it with the old cover. That's why we keep the old record, because it matches to the old book someone read.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 4669 comments Jaden wrote: "lafon since an accepted source is a goodreads author & John is one, why can't his request be dealt with? And we are talking about kindle edition, which means amazon stuff. Are those titles supposed..."

His request can be dealt with BUT not by taking any data including images from amazon including any kindle edition information. The author has supply alternate NON bookseller links even for kindles

message 13: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3545 comments Jaden wrote: "lafon since an accepted source is a goodreads author & John is one, why can't his request be dealt with? And we are talking about kindle edition, which means amazon stuff. Are those titles supposed..."
In terms of "acceptable" sources if an author posts the image on say his profile, we could use it. We (goodreads librarians) cannot use info from amazon.

message 14: by Jaden (last edited Apr 18, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

Jaden | 3 comments Thank you for the clarification lafon.

Given this, John, you only have to add the image on your Goodreads profile and you're done.

message 15: by John (last edited Apr 18, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments Right. Got it.

One last thing: can I 'toggle' the default cover, so that the new one appears as the default on goodreads? This is the only way that I use the new cover in an ad here, I think...

FYI the old cover (which I did myself) was so bad that it featured on a 'worst book covers ever' website!

Thank you to all!

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 224 comments John wrote: "Right. Got it.

One last thing: can I 'toggle' the default cover, so that the new one appears as the default on goodreads? This is the only way that I use the new cover in an ad here, I think...

..."

Sorry, the way the system works it shows the most shelved edition of a book as the default edition. When more people shelved the new edition it will automatically change.

message 17: by John (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments That makes sense.

In the meantime, I went to my author dashboard and (mistakenly) merged several books into one! Now I can't undue it...

JB

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That has now been cleaned up. Please use the combine feature cautiously.

message 19: by John (last edited Apr 18, 2012 03:57PM) (new)

John Barlow (JohnBarlow) | 7 comments Rivka, I will never use that feature again!

Goodreads is a bit confusing, but there are guardian angels following me around.

Thank you! JB

unread topics | mark unread