Accessible Reading discussion

Free Ebooks

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Proulx (fastfinge) | 6 comments Mod
If this is off topic for this group, please forgive me and feel free to delete it. However, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to collect offers (promotional or otherwise) of free ebooks that are accessible for us to read. While some authors upload ebooks directly into goodreads, many others do not, for various reasons. So, in the interests of keeping everyone in reading material, and promoting these authors, why not collect these things? We can, of course, exclude obvious and/or specialty websites like Bookshare, and focus on free books offered directly by authors and publishers, that are accessible and would not otherwise be available.

My first offering are the works of fantasy and science fiction author Carl Frederick. While his ebooks are all offered for purchase via Kindle, and apparently not elsewhere, he will send you an epub formatted, DRM free, copy of the majority of his work, if you send him an email and ask. You can find a list of his books, information about them, and the address to email, at:
http://www.darkzoo.net/clfsite/EPubs.htm

I just finished my copy of Wizards of Science yesterday, and found it to be quite an enjoyable read. You can find my thoughts on it at:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

And, because it's not already in goodreads for reasons I don't quite understand, a description of the book from the author's website follows:

In the novel (hard SF despite its title), Paul, an American college physics major studying in England, and his friend Vicki, an English British history major, become caught up in a physics experiment gone spectacularly wrong. The island of England gets swapped into an alternate time line and is replaced with the England of the eleventh century. Action takes place in both an eleventh century England in a twenty first century world, and also in a twenty-first century England in an eleventh century world. Only Paul and Vicki, with the help of Wulf, a scientist from the twenty-second century, can set things right.
The novel's title alludes to Wulf and his descendents, trapped in Anglo-Saxon Britain. Their advanced science and technology seems to be magic and they are thought to be wizards.
Although not not specifically written as such, the novel might be considered YA as four of the five major characters are under twenty years old, two of them well under.

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Proulx (fastfinge) | 6 comments Mod
This one is an old one, that I read a long time ago, but I thought I'd post it never-the-less.

The book is Agent to the Stars, by the best selling author of Old Man's War, John Scalzi. He originally wrote it in order to perfect his novel writing craft. But even though it's his first novel, it's well worth reading. Unfortunately, it's only available in HTML, not epub or any other easily downloadable format. Your best bet is to visit the page and do a save web page as. You can read the entire book at the following URL:
http://www.scalzi.com/agent/

Once again, this is Science Fiction. A description of the book, as taken from goodreads, follows:

Agent to the Stars is a gleeful mash-up of science fiction and Hollywood satire from acclaimed novelist John Scalzi (Old Man's War), a film critic since 1991 and author of The Rough Guide to Science Fiction Film. It's a whole new look at alien encounters -- and a view of Tinseltown you've never seen before.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wizards of Science (other topics)
Agent to the Stars (other topics)
Old Man's War (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carl Frederick (other topics)
John Scalzi (other topics)