The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments (showing 51-100 of 164) (164 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by ButtonUpZipper (new)

ButtonUpZipper | 3 comments In addition to naming the dragon, you should give it a tattoo of a girl...

message 52: by Zach (new)

Zach Bechtel (zachbechtel) | 109 comments he got killed by a dragon named lem

message 53: by Nick (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1287 comments ButtonUpZipper wrote: "In addition to naming the dragon, you should give it a tattoo of a girl..."

Wrong book genre but still funny as hell.

message 54: by Marz (new)

Marz | 39 comments Zach wrote: "Lem has it I think"

Lem, definately.

message 55: by Hai (new)

Hai (Angelslayer) Lem is short and boring though.

Hows about a tweaked version of ButtonUpZipper's suggestion

Sir Lem-Tron 5000

A splash of ye old english, and a punch in the nose of tech-ish gibberish.

message 56: by Nick (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1287 comments http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/2...

After the dragon gets named he should be trained!

message 57: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments Vote for Lem! Nothing wrong with short. That's all you'll have a chance to get out before it chomps you into little crunchy bones.

message 58: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments how bout Earl?

message 59: by John (new)

John (Agni4lisva) | 41 comments Another vote for Lem :-)

of course, this can only be the use name given him the little humans. Such short lives, they could never grasp the Dragons real name ;-)

message 60: by Hai (new)

Hai (Angelslayer) arg.

ok, this is a freaking fire breathing cyborg dragon. and you want to name him / her lem?

it's like if a super bad ass pro wrestler struts out on stage to the tune of "bad to the bone", fireworks going off everywhere, and the announcer introduces him as "Tom". (no offense intended, tom)

this dragon needs a name as awesome as he / she is.

and yes, the sex does matter, as anyone who's named a baby will tell you, it matters. this may not be a baby made of flesh and blood and a poorly planned out prom. this dragon was born from the joining of people's thoughts! that's right! it's a mind baby!

so come on, guys, make it an awesome name.

message 61: by Agatha (last edited Apr 22, 2012 04:13PM) (new)

Agatha (agathab) | 130 comments Khrysaor S3500.

That good enough? Khrysaor means "golden sword" (sure, it's the name of a giant, but we can repurpose it for a dragon) and the S3500 is a designation of a laser diffraction particle analyzer. Although one does have to explain the name every time...

message 62: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Agatha wrote: "Khrysaor S3500.

That good enough? Khrysaor means "golden sword" (sure, it's the name of a giant, but we can repurpose it for a dragon) and the S3500 is a designation of a laser diffraction particl..."

dragons are quite proud, you wanna give a dragon a used name?

message 63: by Agatha (new)

Agatha (agathab) | 130 comments That giant is long dead. And I think the dragon ought to be quite honoured to share the name of the son of Medusa.

message 64: by Skip (new)

Skip | 508 comments Yeah, Lem is the dragon's name.

Nick wrote: "Poor Veronica if she ever has to interview Stanisław Lem. Especially if the dragon gets named "Lem".

Edit: I'm a moron. Didn't realize he was already dead."

There's still the possible interview with an undead Lem. Hopefully he would be a vampire-type undead though, because a zombie interview would be pretty monotonous.

message 65: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I believe what we're discovering about the dragon's name is that it is something different for each of us. In that way, a dragon's name is like a mirror. Two people can look into a mirror, but they will never see the same face.

And so, for me, the dragon will always have an intensely personal name. And also a strikingly handsome one.

message 66: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1345 comments Wasn't there a space ship that was named "Dragon"?
(Other then the "spam in a can" one for SpaceX)
A big warship looking thing.
Didn't that have an impressive name as well?

message 67: by Zac (new)

Zac (campbellz09) | 18 comments vote for Lem!

message 68: by Colin (new)

Colin | 277 comments Lienonedla is definitely a 'swordy' sounding name, but it doesn't quite have the 'lasery' edge to it.

message 69: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments ButtonUpZipper wrote: "In addition to naming the dragon, you should give it a tattoo of a girl..."

It took me five days, and Nick's help, but I get the joke now. Week-long payoff.

And Colin, ereht did uoy tahw ees I.

message 70: by Tim (new)

Tim | 379 comments Chortle!

Doogy Rev

message 71: by Rik (new)

Rik | 559 comments Lem for sure.

If not then something like Bob just because its so-undragonish that it would be funny.

message 72: by Jack (new)

Jack Lancaster | 14 comments I vote Lem, but with the addendum of a surname, "Tepes."

"Lem "The Dragon" Tepes."

message 73: by Mark (new)

Mark Brinkman (CentralNexus) | 1 comments Sure it's a dragon? Seeing only the head, it could be a bookwyrm...

message 74: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1345 comments It sound like folks want "Lem" for its first name.
(humans can't pronounce a dragons real name)
Probably something like "T" (Tiberius)? for a middle initial.
I guess Veronica will have to tell us its last name.
Or who ever bought it
cause I'm sure not feeding the darn thing.

message 75: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Mark wrote: "Sure it's a dragon? Seeing only the head, it could be a bookwyrm..."

Mmmm. Plus 1.

message 76: by Tren (new)

Tren Sparks (Trendane) | 3 comments Sent this in as email a few days ago. But I suppose I should post it here as well.

Okay, this has a few layers to it. As such I think it works well.

X-Calibre

1) The name of a sword
2) Lasers can be just about any caliber you want depending upon how much energy you apply
3) 'Calibre' is also a piece of software for managing you e-book collection
4) The name has the right mix of Sci-Fi and Fantasy...just like that cybernetic background beauty.
5) The name could be shortened to Cal or Callie or something equally androgynous so you don't have to define a gender.

message 77: by Doug (new)

Doug Luberts | 35 comments I kind of like 'Bernie'. Nobody ever names their dragon 'Bernie.'

message 78: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 1 comments I always imagined dragons having guttural names.

I'd think something like 'Gurgathame' or if you wanna go ethereal sounding 'Aurail'Ieth'

message 79: by Craig (new)

Craig | 31 comments I think Lem is winning. Maybe, that is short for
LEMMINKÄINEN
USAGE: Finnish Mythology
Meaning & History
Meaning unknown, possibly related to Finnish lempi "love". In the Finnish epic the 'Kalevala' this is the name of an arrogant hero. After he was killed his mother fetched his body from the River of Death and restored him to life.

So, this dragon was killed and spared death as it was made into a cyborg.

Just a suggestion.

message 80: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 296 comments It's a dragon, in deep space, that is clearly not the aggressor in conflicts... I think it's pretty obvious, and I believe that Timothy Zahn would back me up here, that the dragon's name is actually Yal'e'mourodo. So, in the Chiss naming tradition, a core name of Lem, regardless of sex.

I mean, everyone can see that it's a Chiss dragon, right? It's so polite and formal. And look at that red eye. So calculating... like it knows something...

message 81: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (BarryVonAwesome) | 1 comments I can't believe no one has pointed this out (as far as I can tell) but when you combine sword and laser you actually get Lord Swaser. This is the name I vote for.

message 82: by Zach (new)

Zach Bechtel (zachbechtel) | 109 comments Nathan wrote: "I can't believe no one has pointed this out (as far as I can tell) but when you combine sword and laser you actually get Lord Swaser. This is the name I vote for."

that is a really good name.. Now I'm torn. Lord Swaser sounds like the name of a human though. I still vote for Lem.

message 83: by Benjie (new)

Benjie (SinbadEV) | 7 comments Maybe Lord Swaser is his title... like how you have Lord Blah of Placename you just call them Lord Placename sometimes...

message 84: by Craig (last edited Apr 28, 2012 01:46PM) (new)

Craig | 31 comments Lord Swaser makes me think of Patrick Swayze.

message 85: by Micael (new)

Micael Martel (mikemartel) | 65 comments We should call it nessie in honor of the lock ness monster :)

message 86: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1345 comments Somehow I'd imagined that he'd be bit more impressive.
http://goo.gl/knxu9

message 87: by Dana (new)

Dana Baker | 10 comments One more vote for Lem.

message 88: by Micah (new)

Micah Bucy (eternalsword) | 10 comments I don't think the dragon would want to be associated with something that can't keep our attention. Should be the opposite, since dragons are attention seekers, so I propose Mel, which also has the benefit of being either masculine or feminine.

message 89: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (KonietzkyStrain) | 13 comments Verminthrax.

message 90: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments I think I've gotta vote for Lem. Not a typical dragon name perhaps, but all too appropriate. Even Scott Lynch used the term in his interview!

message 91: by Powbear (new)

Powbear | 10 comments Alduin, the World Eater

message 92: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Dachshundslayer.

message 93: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments My vote is for Lem.

message 94: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (NimrodGod) | 273 comments I like Lem as well, but seeing as I have only been an Official S&L member for a few days, my vote doesn't weigh much lol.

message 95: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (NimrodGod) | 273 comments Actually, Call the dragon Lem and Mel (Both sides)? :-)

message 96: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1345 comments LEM? hummmm…
Well I've heard of spacecraft named after dragons
but never a dragon named after a spacecraft.
Works for me.

message 97: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3064 comments Since the dragon hasn't responded, I'm guessing it's not the right name. I sure wish the dragon would drop a hint. I hear dragons are smart.

message 98: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments terpkristin wrote: "Since the dragon hasn't responded, I'm guessing it's not the right name. I sure wish the dragon would drop a hint. I hear dragons are smart."

I think if one of us says its name the world will end.

message 99: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 160 comments As well as loving lem as a dragon name i also like Jax :)

message 100: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1345 comments terpkristin wrote: " I hear dragons are smart."

Not really. We only have two of them my freshman year at Pacific Tech and only one of them was on scholarship.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Matilda (other topics)
The Iron Dragon's Daughter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.S. Lewis (other topics)
Stanisław Lem (other topics)
Timothy Zahn (other topics)