Victorians! discussion

Buddy Read - A House to Let > The Manchester Marriage

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Mod of Victorianism (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1605 comments Chap. 2 of A House to Let

message 2: by Marialyce, Moderator (new)

Marialyce | 1727 comments I must say this section seemed a bit disjointed to me. I imagine we will find out the reasoning for it as we continue the story.

How very sad though to return home to find your wife married to another. It was perfectly understandable how this Coukd happen but still what a shock it must have been.

Becky (groundhawg) | 183 comments Gaskell seems to very frequently use maritime mishaps as a mean to remove a male character for a while, and I have to think its her personal nod to her brother that went missing on an expedition to India and was never found.

I got really choked up at the end. I felt that it was disjointed at the beginning, but that it came together very nicely. I had a really good emotional response to the whole story.

I wonder how frequently this sort of thing happened? With long travel times and difficulty communicating did instances of bigamy happen that frequently? Oh what would you even do? I think they made the right choice not tellin the lady.

message 4: by Becky (last edited Apr 20, 2012 06:33AM) (new)

Becky (groundhawg) | 183 comments A quick legal question. If she was in bigamy, even by accident, would that make his son a bastard? How was this handled then?

LauraT (LauraTa) | 515 comments Becky wrote: "A quick legal child. If she was in bigamy, even by accident, would that make his son a bastard? How was this handled then?"

In No Name Collins deals with this topic; the funny thing is that he there says that if the couple marries AFTER the birth of the children they become bastards and not entitled to any inheritance! In this case they should be sort of "readopted" if I unnderstood things right!

Judy Olson | 33 comments It is kind of ironic that our modern day soap operas on tv have some of the same storyline characteristics of the story here.

message 7: by SarahC, Mod of Victorianism (last edited Apr 25, 2012 06:41AM) (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1605 comments Yes, this may be a confusing legal question in Manchester Marriage, but, after all, I doubt that ever saw the light of day because of Frank's suicide. Maybe Frank's relatives never even learned of his reappearance either.

Yes, a complex plot that modern soap operas would be proud of, Judy!

I agree, by the end of this chapter, it certainly brought my interest in even more to the structure of how the story is being told. I am certainly sitting in Sarah's parlor now, waiting for the next "discovery" to be revealed.

Does anyone know of other authors who use(d) this format to put together a book (although I know these were originally serial pieces)? I would love to read more of this kind of collaboration or even collection of stories by the same author -- of any era, not just Victorian. I thought for so long that I was strictly a long story person, but I have been getting interested more and more into short stories over the last few months (partially thanks to Elizabeth Bowen).

message 8: by Marialyce, Moderator (new)

Marialyce | 1727 comments Sarah, David Mitchell comes to mind as writing his characters in a short story format while they intertwine in various ways.

I have read his Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten and he has used that form in both. I am not sure if you would be interested in him as he is very far removed from our wonderful Victorian writers.

message 9: by SarahC, Mod of Victorianism (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1605 comments Cloud Atlas is actually on my shelf to read. Some modern fiction I do avoid, but I actually read a pretty wide variety -- some genres and time periods more than others, but I love a mix. I had pegged him for this summer, so I certainly will read now.

message 10: by Marialyce, Moderator (new)

Marialyce | 1727 comments You will have to let me know what you think, Sarah, about that book. I actually have his number9dream waiting for me at home.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No Name (other topics)
Cloud Atlas (other topics)
Ghostwritten (other topics)
number9dream (other topics)