Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Any authors similar to Kelley Armstrong?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by B (new)

B | 55 comments I'm all caught up on the Otherworld series, and I'm just devouring Exit Strategy -- I thought the second one was out already but it's not. !!!

Any suggestions for authors similar to Kelley Armstrong I should check out next?

Thanks. :)

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments Rachel Vincent is similar - her series only has two books so far. It's about a cat shifter named Faythe. The first book is called Stray.

I also just started reading a series by Carrie Vaughn, It focuses on a werewolf named Kitty. She has a radio talk show that is sort of a hotline where supernatural beings can call and ask advice. The first book is called Kitty and the Midnight hour.

Hope that helps Bonnie!!

message 3: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Thanks Jess -- I'll check them out. :)

message 4: by new_user (last edited Dec 22, 2008 08:46PM) (new)

new_user | 1384 comments You may want to try Patricia Briggs, Bonnie. She writes about werewolves (very well) and she has young characters and a gritty tone too.

If you don't mind slightly older characters, I would also recommend Cynthia Eden's series starting with Hotter After Midnight, which are equal parts romance and suspense (cops). Her characters are from a race of Others (werewolves, demons, etc.). I liked the second book much better than the first, but the first kind of gives you an idea of the world and the "ingredients" of her books. ;)

message 5: by B (last edited Dec 22, 2008 08:02PM) (new)

B | 55 comments Thanks new_user -- sounds great! What age ranges are the characters in each? (Just curious since you pointed it out.)

And looks like Patricia Briggs has a lot of series -- any recommendations to start out?

message 6: by new_user (last edited Dec 22, 2008 08:51PM) (new)

new_user | 1384 comments Hm, I would say the main char in Briggs' series is college years or mentality, while Eden's characters are a little bit older, already working in their careers. So it gives a slightly different tone to the story, but both have action and sympathetic characters.

As far as Briggs, the Mercedes Thompson series (first is Moon Called) and the Alpha & Omega series are both great. If you like action and plot and a down-to-earth, feisty heroine you can relate to, the Mercy series is good. It's kind of episodic where there's a new problem in the supernatural that she has to take on (and on the side, we learn about her, her relationship with two wolves, and the secondary chars).

If you prefer a book about the chars, a little more on relationships involving character histories and vendettas, etc., and romance, then the A&O series is good. There is action in that series too though. I recommend reading the short story in the On the Prowl anthology. That'll give you a good idea of the A&O series. You actually have to read the short if you plan to start the books because it pretty much acts as the first chapter for the first book in that series, LOL.

It might be easier to say Eden's series is paranormal romance. Briggs is more urban fantasy.

message 7: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Excellent -- thank you so much!

message 8: by Leilah (new)

Leilah (Call_Me_Lee) | 3 comments been looking into Cynthia Eden and she sounds great! glad i looked on this page. lol. thought i would recomend Jennifer Rardin. if you like strong female characters then Jaz Parks rocks. lol
its more about vampiers and assaination.
jaz is the kind of woman who had a 'kick-ass' attatude who walks around with an ozzi under her skirt and loves fast cars. oh and loves her vampire boss. lol hope this is a book you might enjoy!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hotter After Midnight (other topics)
On the Prowl (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Cynthia Eden (other topics)