The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Legend of Korra

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments Anyone else thrilled to see the sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender?

And just in case other people were looking... Nickelodeon has the first two full episodes up on their website.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legen...

Tassie Dave | 488 comments I hope people are not put off by the terrible movie adaptation of the original.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was a brilliant cartoon series. I watched it on the recommendation of the Totally Rad Show podcast and was blown away that it being a Nickelodeon cartoon it wasn't just for kids.

I watched the first episode of Legend of Korra and have the second downloaded to watch.

It looks like it will be just as good as Avatar:TLA.
It has a bit of a steam punk feel to it in parts.

Bit of a shock seeing Katara as an old woman though. She was only a young teen in Avatar:TLA.

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I hope people are not put off by the terrible movie adaptation of the original.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was a brilliant cartoon series."

Agreed, it was like Mr. Shyamalan wanted to drive people away from the series. I remember being shocked when I realized that it was a Nickelodeon cartoon. And after the first two episodes of the new series, I have to say that I'm loving the new setting and music style.

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments Was there a live-action movie adaptation? I'M PRETTY SURE THAT NEVER ACTUALLY EXISTED, RIGHT???

Anyway, watched the hour-long Korra premiere, and I was really happy with it. Obviously part of the same universe as the original series, but also very different. Love the tweaks in the music to add more a jazz-age feel to things. Looking forward to more.

terpkristin | 2608 comments Hmm I've heard good things about Avatar (not the MKS movie) but have never watched it. Is it available on Netflix? Is there a "preferred" order for watching, other than "in order"? I'll have to find some time to watch...

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 48 comments I got to see the first two episodes ahead of time on the Korra website about a month ago and squee'd for hours. It lives up to the Avatar standard and I adore the steampunk feel to this series, too.

What do you think of the Bender Matches?

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments terpkristin wrote: "Hmm I've heard good things about Avatar (not the MKS movie) but have never watched it. Is it available on Netflix?"

I know for a fact that it's up on Netflix, and if you can make it through the obvious Nick cartoon gags in the first 2 episodes, you should be golden. One of the things that I truly admire about the series is that it states the goal very early on, continues aiming for the goal throughout, and actually ends once the goal is accomplished.

Usako wrote: "What do you think of the Bender Matches?"

I like the idea... then again, the first episode with Toph remains one of my favorites (Can you smell what the Boulder is cookin... wait, no, sorry), so you can tell what I think about superpowered sporting matches. I'm a little interested in what the "protective gear" that they wear is actually doing, since it seems to defend against pressurized water blasts, fireballs, and discs of stone without battering and baking the player inside, but I'm also willing to suspend disbelief as long as it's fun enough to watch.

message 8: by Hai (last edited Apr 16, 2012 07:39PM) (new)

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments i gotta admit, Avatar the last Airbender is still one of my favorite TV shows. i love how it's presented as a kid's show, but it moves off to to adult themed conundrums, such as (not to spoil any plots) life and death. revenge. redemption. and the whole "if you have the ability and justness to kill someone, does it make it right to?" concept.

i know i'm going to sound super old when i say this but... this new avatar story is strange and frightening to me.

i mean, take for instance, the brothers. one's a fire bender, the other an earth bender. back in the day, entire nations were only one type of bender. how's that work out?

another thing was fighting style. in Avatar, the Last Airbender, you can make out different real world styles of martial arts that each of the different bending disciplines employs:

- Fire nation adopted the Dragon style, a fast and powerful form.
- Earth benders, primarily used the horse stance, a sturdy form for an unyielding element.
- Water benders some sort of free flowing style, Tai Chi, maybe?
- Air benders were probably shoalin (that would seem appropriate).

each of which fit the character of each of the elements. I don't really know much about martial arts, just enough to notice it in this cartoon.

i didn't see much of that in the legend of korra. i did notice one of the brothers (the fire one) use americanized boxing, which i thought was clever. it too is a fast, yet powerful style of fighting for fire (float like a butterfly, sting like a bee)

all in all. i think i'm going to have to reserve judgement on this one til i see where it goes. so far Korra hasn't done anything to warrant me "liking" her. not that she's unlikable. just nothing to make me fall in love with her yet.

here's a fun fact though. the actress who plays Korra, Janet Varney, was the long time girlfriend of Chris Hardwick, the Nerdist himself.

Tassie Dave | 488 comments terpkristin wrote: "Is there a "preferred" order for watching, other than "in order"?"

I'd say watch it in order, as it is a serialised story. Avatar:The Last Airbender has a definite beginning and ending.

The whole series is 61 episodes.

Jenni (theoxfordpixie) | 14 comments I've never watched Avatar (the series), but my boy has, so I watched Korra with no background knowledge - and it's awesome. He was squealing over little background reference points (like Toph's statue) but there was nothing that made me feel like I *had* to have watched the previous series. I still will go back and watch it when I get chance, mind.

I really like Korra as a character - the design, attitude and way other characters treat her is so brilliant and I'm really excited to see a lead female character whose female-ness isn't a staple part of the plot. Her and Tenzin's mentor-student relationship is what made me really like her though, and I hope we get to see lots more of it.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 48 comments Considering the city is a blend of all the nations, I can see why there's new styles or blended styles between the different benders.

I, too, am interested how the armor protects against bender powers. But I initially thought they were there for head bangs and scraps similar to roller skating or biking.

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments I'm actually glad that they're addressing things like what powers little benders got if their parents hailed from different nations. Was I the only one who wondered if anyone had tried to create a new avatar through selective breeding programs during the 100 years of war? I'm pretty sure that would have happened in the Earth kingdom or Fire nation at some point...

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Sky wrote: "I'm actually glad that they're addressing things like what powers little benders got if their parents hailed from different nations. Was I the only one who wondered if anyone had tried to create a ..."

hmm i don't think they were so technically advanced as to think like that. if they did, it'd kind of screw up the mysticism of the avatar. the avatar is like a chosen soul, which has the ability to use the 4 elements, and this soul, in turn, imbues a single person the ability to wield the 4 elements.

i would have just assumed that a single type of bender would be procreated from the joining of two different benders. sort of how dominant genes usually prevail over weaker genes, except on a spiritual level. dominant soul, over a lower one. maybe. iunno.

anyway, i just hope Korra stops being such a brat, and finds a purpose soon, i need a new avatar fix.

Stuart | 3 comments I was so gutted when I saw the live action movie. you could see M.night was trying. he seemed to get the special effects for the bending powers right at least... but never mind, he's killed the possibility of a good movie now lol

Does anyone know when Korra is on in the UK?

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 48 comments Are you able to watch online from the UK? I think the episodes are on Nick's website.

And I like a bratty beginning. It makes sense since she's been kept away from people and hasn't had much socializing outside the Water Tribe and an approved list of visitors. I like to see how the city further changes her views or her own influences the city's.

Benrix | 1 comments Caught the premiere of Korra this past weekend. I really enjoyed what I have seen so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the mysterious "opponent of bending" (reminds me a bit of Palpatine/Darth Sidious).

Philip (pkinchington) | 16 comments Really looking forward to this. Only recently finished watching the originals after my friend had been needling me about it for the last year or so. Thankfully Netflix finally launched in the UK and I was able to work my way through them on there.

Amazing series. I still can't believe that (according to Wikipedia, so...) it was aimed at the 6-11 year old age bracket. Any child of that age who watched all the way through would have had their tiny minds blown by that finale. Everything else aimed at that age range would have just seemed so trite in comparison after that.

The writing was just stunning. No simple cop-outs, people were complex, no pure good/evil split. I think Uncle Iroh was my favourite, and Prince Zuko's story arc in Books 2 & 3 was just handled so well.

Okay, I'll stop gushing now. *goes and sits quietly in the corner*

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments The thing the original series did right was be a kids' film that doesn't treat kids like idiots. It confronts them with any number of themes and situations that are considered "adult" but aren't -- kids have to deal with "adult" stuff constantly, after all. Loss, happiness, disappointment, heartbreak, victory, defeat, love, hate, etc etc etc -- it deals with them all.

But also, and this is what the live-action movie didn't understand, it was witty, charming, and funny with a truly great cast of characters with fantastic arcs.

And watch it from episode one, in order. Some episodes can be dropped in more or less at random, but overall, the series was planned out from start to finish with plots that stretch the entire length of its three seasons.

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Just wanted to jump in to say I watched both new episodes back-to-back and my thoughts are easily summed up thusly:

It's like they took everything I loved about the original series, gave me more of it, and got rid of the stuff that bugged me.

Also, in every situation where I've heard the new show discussed, if the movie does come up people seem to understand it was a mistake that should never, ever have been done.

The only problem is I believe they're still doing another. I'd be OK with it if they scrapped the ENTIRE CAST AND CREW but otherwise I'm going to give it a miss unless there's a massive upswell of voices saying it's the best thing ever.

Micael Martel (mikemartel) | 65 comments The new series is really cool, I saw the first two episodes and wanted more. I'm a big fan of the original and I think they kept the essence of it.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Doug wrote: "The only problem is I believe they're still doing another. I'd be OK with it if they scrapped the ENTIRE CAST AND CREW but otherwise I'm going to give it a miss unless there's a massive upswell of voices saying it's the best thing ever."

it wasn't really the cast and crew that flopped the movie. it was the fact that they tried to fit 20 episodes (20 minutes each) into an hour and a half movie. that much content being cut out killed the essence of the series. like they were just rushing to the end.

Agatha (agathab) | 130 comments Oh, I'm definitely going to have to look this one up. I had no idea they were doing something like this.

I'm a huge fan of Avatar. I actually watched the movie first and I thought it was bad but somewhat enjoyable, on that 'so bad it's good' level. But people kept telling me about the show and how awesome it was and so one day I caught the second episode on TV and almost instantly fell in love with it.

It's the kind of show I wish all kids would watch. It's educational without being preachy, it's incredibly touching at times and it deals with some difficult, adult themes in ways that are accessible to children. It's also fun and entertaining and has some of the best developed characters I've ever seen in a work aimed primarily at children.

message 23: by Doug (last edited Apr 20, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Oh, there were so many more problems than that. So many. I could go on a diatribe about it but suffice it to say there were enough issues with that film that, if nothing else, the actors, writer, director, producers and department heads should all be removed from the project.

There is, quite literally, no part of that film I find redeeming. They found every detail they could and got it wrong. And not just, "Well, in your opinion..." wrong but "How did you screw *that* up!?" sort of wrong.

Think about it this way: Throughout that entire process did no one stand up and say, "We're doing this wrong." so everyone who's responsibility it is to have done so should be removed.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Doug wrote: "Oh, there were so many more problems than that. So many. I could go on a diatribe about it but suffice it to say there were enough issues with that film that, if nothing else, the actors, writer, d..."

well, i should reiterate, the cast and crew weren't the only thing that screwed up the movie. certainly not the biggest reason.

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Hai wrote: "well, i should reiterate, the cast and crew weren't the only thing that screwed up the movie. certainly not the biggest reason."

Oh, definitely. I think M. Night was the biggest problem with that film and that had they actually had a good director something amazing could have come of it.

William (UUSchwartz) | 25 comments The third episode airs this weekend and develops a bit more of the world and the challenges Korra is facing. Can't say more without spoilers. Really looking forward to see where this goes.

Marz | 39 comments I knew this was coming on, but kept forgetting to watch it. Yesterday I caught up on all the Korra. W/o spoiling anything, I agree with William that the third episode really gives a sense of what the rest of the series will be about. Korra didn't strike me the way Last Airbender did in its first episode, but it definately started to hit me in the later episodes, and I can definately see the potential. Also, I like the steampunk feel. I wish they would emphasize that a bit more.

John Wiswell | 86 comments The first two episodes play it very loose. There are no great stakes, no overwhelming cause beyond Korra wanting to learn something she's bad at, and there was more sports than combat. I didn't mind it since the animation and voice acting were so good, and I usually don't need a hard plot - but dang, I felt like it was missing after the original Avatar opened with the Fire Nation pursuing them.

The third episode is definitely the most tantalizing so far. Having "equality" be the ideal that drives the antagonists is very unusual and could lead to some interesting stuff, as will their anti-bending power. Very happy with how the show is shaping up, and just as happy to have this crew working on television Fantasy again.

Robert Stubbs | 23 comments I have enjoyed all three episodes so far. The first episode explored Korra and where she came from and what she thinks along with linking it back with the previous series. It also showed some of the areas of conflict in glimpses.

The second episode set up her training along with her relationship with her air bending master. Also it setup the introduction of additional cast members in a way that was interesting and flowed organically.

The third episode set up exploration of the additional cast members back stories and explored more in depth those glimpses of areas of conflict. Again none of this felt forced and flowed organically.

Agatha (agathab) | 130 comments Robert wrote: "Again none of this felt forced and flowed organically."

Which was the major reason why the first series was as good as it was and I'm glad they're continuing with the same style and rhythm.

I really enjoyed the third episode; the conflict introduced is really intriguing and I'm eager to see how they deal with it. Looks like Legend of Korra will be another one to recommend to my younger cousins and the library rats.

Also, I'm terribly enjoying the byplay between the two brothers and Korra. Nice dynamic.

Robert Stubbs | 23 comments I may or may not be humming a batman theme in my head 'for no particular reason' after watching episode 3.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments i also enjoyed the 3rd episode.

(view spoiler)

it's good to see the series taking a more serious turn now. hopefully it'll have some more memorable moments that stick with you like the last series.

a few of those that come to mind are...

(view spoiler)
(view spoiler)
(view spoiler)
(view spoiler)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

So, Amon... (view spoiler)

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Ala wrote: "So, Amon... [spoilers removed]"
hmmm intriguing, (view spoiler)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I know. Far fetched.

(view spoiler)

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments Personally, I'm holding out hope that Amon is (view spoiler)

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Sky wrote: "Personally, I'm holding out hope that Amon is [spoilers removed]"

Hot diggity (view spoiler)

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments So, I watched the season finale of The Legend of Korra and I was... underwhelmed.

May as well wrap this in a spoiler tag, just to be safe...
(view spoiler)

Sigh... well, the series was still a fun ride and I enjoyed the setting immensely. Basically, my problems all stem from the lack of consequences. I get that it's a kid's show, but it was the sense of purpose and change that made Avatar: The Last Airbender amazing. But I guess they can't all be home runs.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 48 comments (view spoiler)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 52 comments I was pretty disappointed in the final few moments of the last episode. I thought everything was too nicely wrapped up with a shiny bow.

Part of the draw of season finales, for me, is that cliffhanger ending that you have to wait months to see how it concludes - Korra didn't have that.

A friend of mine mentioned that it was originally green-lit as a mini-series, which explains why the season wraps up so well - but couldn't they change the last five minutes once the second season got green lit?

I thought it would have been fun to have a second season where Korra (view spoiler)

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments Vicky wrote: "I was pretty disappointed in the final few moments of the last episode."

My wife and I felt the same way. Almost exactly, in fact, in terms of what would have been nice to see next.

The series basically didn't change the world in any appreciable way. Virtually all of the damage was undone, and the one thing that I was really hoping for - some answers on the origin of the avatar - was tidily sidestepped, despite the potential that the story was practically dripping with.

Ah well, I'll just have to hope they get ambitious later.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments I too would have liked to see (view spoiler)

One thing I didn't like was (view spoiler)

Also, back to the martial arts styles. they didn't really adhere to that, so I'm Very Disappoint, Son.

Thomas (Velverin) | 42 comments I only have seen the first two episodes so far, and I must say I am more interested in it than I was/am in Avatar.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments really? i thought the first series was more compelling than this second one.

Sky Corbelli | 285 comments Thomas wrote: "I only have seen the first two episodes so far, and I must say I am more interested in it than I was/am in Avatar."

The beginning of Korra was truly ripe with possibilities, probably because it came off of such an epic series. It captured the imagination and led us off into flights of fancy and hopeful dreaming about what it would be doing next... which is probably why I was so disappointed in the ending.

It was still enjoyable, even if the last two episodes felt rushed and contrived. I would say that its biggest downfall was not being as grand as the original series.

I could see this entire story being a footnote in the history of the world, "And there was avatar Korra, who helped end a revolution," in the same way that avatar Roku will be remembered as the guy who screwed up, avatar Kyoshi as the one who got rid of some tyrant, and the avatar before her as the guy who... surfed, or something (I'm aware that Koh was involved, but I'm trying not to be bitter).

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 915 comments I just wished there were more of the past.

xenphilos Sky wrote: "It was still enjoyable, even if the last two episodes felt rushed and contrived. I would say that its biggest downfall was not being as grand as the original series. "

Yeah, I also thought it was too clean an ending. When the finale was teased with Korra getting her bending taken away, I really thought she'd spend the second season learning to live and fight as a non-bender (and getting to know the regular people supporting Amon) and also learning the spiritual side of bending. Eventually she'd learn energy-bending to heal herself and the others who got their bending taken away.

Oh, well.

message 48: by Rasnac (last edited Jun 28, 2012 04:08AM) (new)

Rasnac | 318 comments I loved the new(Korra) series just as I loved the original(Aang)series. Yet there are some issues that bug me:

1-How come soicety made the leap from medieveal to steampunk in such a short period of time? As I can see they still use bending in place of technology (power station is composed of lightining throwing firebenders) yet telephones and combustion engines.

2-How come 12 years old poorly trained Aang was much much stronger than the 16 year old Korra who spent most of her life under tutelage of best bending teachers in the world? Seriously, even the first season Aang could wipe the floor with those anti-benders.

And also I think bloodbending and energy bending, two rarest of bending abilities in the world in the original series, were overused as plot devices in this one. Other than that, I think it is an excellent series. I will certainly keep watching as long as they keep making new episodes. :)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 52 comments I really liked how the characters from The Last Airbender tied into Legend of Korra.

Republic City was founded by Aang with the help of his team avatar - so it was more about them being an integral part of why Republic City is what it is, rather than trying to fit them into the series because they could.

Hai (Angelslayer) | 88 comments Rasnac: "I loved the new(Korra) series just as I loved the original(Aang)series. Yet there are some issues that bug me:

1-How come soicety made the leap from medieveal to steampunk in such a short period of time? As I can see they still use bending in place of technology (power station is composed of lightining throwing firebenders) yet telephones and combustion engines."

Well. since the end of the previous series, to this one, it's been roughly 150 years. think about how far we, in the real world, advanced in the same amount of time. the year would have been 1862. The start of the civil war (which, ironically kind of happens in the second series.) not to mention they have bending to work with.

Rasnac: "2-How come 12 years old poorly trained Aang was much much stronger than the 16 year old Korra who spent most of her life under tutelage of best bending teachers in the world? Seriously, even the first season Aang could wipe the floor with those anti-benders."

I don't know about that. These anti-benders are just that. They are specifically trained to counter benders. Where as Aang just had to fend off fire-benders, who hadn't seen an air-bender in a 100 years. none of them would have ever faced a real air-bender.

Rasnac: "And also I think bloodbending and energy bending, two rarest of bending abilities in the world in the original series, were overused as plot devices in this one. Other than that, I think it is an excellent series. I will certainly keep watching as long as they keep making new episodes. :)"

I agree with you here. I mean lightning-bending was suppose to be an expression of pure emotionless disciple. and here they have it being used to power generators. seriously?

The blood-bending I get, it wasn't really a rare ability, it was more of a taboo to do it. any water bender could do it if they had the will to do it. If I recall right, Katara used it on the hag before she was taught to do it, so all it takes is the will to reach inside someone else and control their blood.

Metal-bending was another one I thought was over used. I get that Toph was able to develop it because of her blindness (she could sense the elements inside the metal, and therefore bend them) and I understand that this is theoretically teachable to others, but I mean, why so many? like all earth benders have to do is get a lesson at the local Y.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (other topics)