Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) Anne of Green Gables discussion

Gilbert Blythe

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »

Gretchen I think I fell in love with the character of Gilbert Blythe first from watching the Sullivan produced movies when they came out in the 80's. Then truly as a teen when I read the books.
A little silly, I know. He was to me though what an ideal hero/character should be. All other literary heroes never quite measured up in my estimation after Gil. No Austen Darcy's or Bronte Heathcliff's could quite compare.
Anyone else or perhaps another literary favorite?

message 2: by Luke (last edited Apr 15, 2012 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke Dyess Austen's Darcy was, I think, one of my favorite literary romantics.

Elisabeth Wheatley Gretchen wrote: "I think I fell in love with the character of Gilbert Blythe first from watching the Sullivan produced movies when they came out in the 80's. Then truly as a teen when I read the books.
A little si..."

He was cute, wasn't he? I think all of my crushes have been on literary characters. Prince Caspian, after I listened to the Narnia audiobooks, and a few others. LOL

Rosalba I'm in love with Gilbert, too.

Luke Dyess I also like the character of Gilbert.

SesameG I loved Gilbert, too. I liked that he wasn't a pushover - Anne stood a chance of losing him if she couldn't swallow her pride... I also liked the evolution of his character over the series.

Carolyn I will always love Gilbert!

Gretchen I will say this I suggested to my husband the name Gilbert back before we knew we would have a girl years ago. I think he thought I had gone nuts. He said when he hears the name he pictures Gilbert Gottfried, lol! I did name our dog Coredelia and if we ever get another dog and he is male I get to name him Gilbert.

Valerie I loved Gilbert since fourth grade, and I will always love him. He's not one to be forgotten, even more than 100 years after Anne of Green Gables was published! I love him!

message 10: by Mika (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mika haha.. I love Gilbert Blythe. he is neck and neck with Austen's Darcy. i love that he's so realistic...earnest and serious-minded but not without a killer sense of humor. if Anne's head was always in the clouds, Gilbert would be the anchor that kept her feet on the ground. i wish all guys were like him

Molly Yes I absolutely adore Gilbert Blythe too! He is the ideal fictious crush for me! When I have a boy child, he will be a Gilbert.

Kelsey I was in love with Gilbert Blythe until I read about Teddy Kent, and then I was in love with Teddy until I read about Barney Snaith.

And no one, but no one, has ever topped Barney Snaith.

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre was pretty amazing.

SesameG yes, barney is great - so funny and unpredictable. It's a much more adult novel - more ambiguous.

message 15: by Kele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kele Awww, I always loved Gilbert Blythe! :D

Sakura Yue Michaelis Gilbert is soooo cute! Both in the movies and in the book <3

Missy I've always thought the way he waited for Anne so patiently was so romantic....she made him jump through so many hoops and he did it all willingly because he knew he would win her heart in the end.
I've had a *major* crush and Gilbert since the movies and I just finished reading Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne's House of Dreams. Little did I know I missed a couple books there!!

Ngozi Egbigwe Gilbert had a wonderful debut, 'carrots, carrots'! he reminded me of my primary school 'boy'friends. very naughty, lol.

Plaimont *sigh* Gilbert - still crushing on him after all these years...

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Anne and Gil are my favorite literary couple.
I've never understood the Heathcliff thing. Pity isn't romantic.
What about Joe Willard? At least, for the first half of the Betsy Tacy series, I thought he was great.

Bridgie Aww....Gilbert, I think almost every girl who has read Anne is in love with him. I know I am. The perfect man. Too bad all the perfectly wonderful men only exist in books. :P

Ashley-Anne I thought he was a sweetie and such a loyal solid presence in Anne's life. A wonderful but believeable person

message 23: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne I liked the story as it was in the book--Anne doesn't profess her love for him, but she doesn't like it when someone else is with him, either; but I can see how that storyline isn't dramatic enough for a film. Still, I wish I could see her little house with the cats.

Charlotte Charles i've loved gilbert since sixth grade when i first read it and i loved how his relationship with Anne evolved.

Victoria Gilbert is definatley a big literary crush of mine. But I do love Mr.Darcy and well there are many others ;) but id definatley sat Anne was very very lucky! I love him in those movie as well a very good portrayal!

Victoria Lisa wrote: "Anne and Gil are my favorite literary couple.
I've never understood the Heathcliff thing. Pity isn't romantic.
What about Joe Willard? At least, for the first half of the Betsy Tacy series, I..."

I should keep reading those! I was reading them with my younger cousin for a time but those books are harder to get your hands on than you'd think!

Victoria Molly wrote: "Yes I absolutely adore Gilbert Blythe too! He is the ideal fictious crush for me! When I have a boy child, he will be a Gilbert."

Mika wrote: "haha.. I love Gilbert Blythe. he is neck and neck with Austen's Darcy. i love that he's so realistic...earnest and serious-minded but not without a killer sense of humor. if Anne's head was always ..."

:)

Victoria Gilbert has always been a literary crush of mine :)
though I do love Mr. Darcy and many others ;) Gilbert has a special place in my heart. For goodness sakes he was even likable while pulling a girls braids and calling her carrots! And boy did he know how to woo a women

message 29: by Jey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jey I totally love Gilbert Blythe!! His dedication, sense of humour, understanding of 'magic' (remember the way he comments that Anne looks 'just like a dryad'? *melts*)
Yeah, he's pretty much the ideal hero! Who wouldn't melt when he calls Anne 'Anne-Girl'? :) :) Gilbert ALWAYS!! :)
And yes, while personally Teddy Kent didn't appeal to me all that much, I love Barney Snaith. Though not as much as Gil. =D

Ashley-Anne oh I love when he calls her Anne-girl. So sweet

Ashley-Anne Kelsey wrote: "And no one, but no one, has ever topped Barney Snaith."

I dunno I prefer Gilbert. I didn't feel the love as much between Barney and Valancy

message 32: by Jey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jey Ashley-Anne wrote: "I dunno I prefer Gilbert. I didn't feel the love as much between Barney and Valancy"

I think that might be because

The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery was a single novel, while the Anne books were a series- that is, we got to see Gilbert and Anne's relationship develop right from the time they were children, whereas Valancy and Barney's might seem rushed in comparison. =)
But Gilbert. *sigh* =D

Sakura Yue Michaelis Even the actor who played Gilbert was sweet.... <3

Ashley-Anne Jey wrote: I think that might be because

The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery was a single novel, whil..."

that's probably true. but Gilbert seemed warmer as well. maybe because we saw him interact with others?

Kimberly This thread caught my attention and after a minute or two of thought I have decided that my two favorite leading men of liturature are Gilbert Blythe and Rhett Butler. Strong, handsome,intelligent, patient (to a point), and understanding. What more could a woman ask for?

Jessica Mitchell I always feel bad when Anne is so mean to Gilbert..

Amina Anna wrote: "Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre was pretty amazing."

But he locked his wife in the attic! I haven't read the book and will not to honor poor Bertha but he could be made of gold, cut out his heart to give to the needy but I can't forgive him for such a horrendous act.

message 38: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa But he locked his wife in the attic!...I can't forgive him for such a horrendous act.

Er, Amina, she tried to kill him. Repeatedly. She was insane. Back then, she should have been put into a really awful asylum. Instead, he kept her locked in a comfortable room, well cared for, and even visited her. He even risked his life for hers. All in all, he was a good man. Although he should have been honest with Jane from day one.

Amina Lisa wrote: Er, Amina, she tried to kill him. Repeatedly. She was insane. Back then, she should have been put into a r..."

Huh! I was gonna write "even if she is a murderous lunatic". Locking someone up would only aggravate their insanity? no? Of course he had no easy solution but he gets no love (or sympathy) from me for what he did.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa You have to read it in context, though. Locking her in the attic was a kindness compared to the kinds of treatments available at that time. She would have been chained up in an asylum; without a regular change of clothes or decent meals. He kept her humanity, retained what he could of her dignity and, until he met Jane, he remained committed to her. If you read the book, she was a danger to herself, too.

Amina See thats the thing "until he met Jane". I cannot stand authors who play the evil/crazy spouse card as a hindrance between two lovers. Its very painful to read. Call it my prejudice but since its fiction I assume I have the liberty to be as bias as I like. And as I said before, he can be an angel but gets only hatred from me, even if he had no other options. Let the character get the burn for the author.
Sorry to hijack this thread from Gilbert. Anne and Gilbert are the ideal childhood sweathearts. Love them, they wouldn't be so cruel.

April I am a true Gilbert Blythe fan! He was my first literary crush!I have crushed on other characters but Gil and Mr. Darcy are by far the ones I still come back to and need to read and/or watch. My favorite part in the movie is when Gil is caught watching Anne and Diana cross the bridge. I really enjoyed him in the sequel movie! I always thought that if he had proposed to me, I would have said yes sooner than Anne.

message 43: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Gilbert will always be the perfect literary crush - and I'm a huge Austen/Bronte fan. And my huge crush on him as a character only grew when I saw the movies. Man Oh man was he cast perfectly. Actually most of the characters were spot on for me, which is saying a whole lot since I almost always hate casting choices. Especially casting choices for my favorite books!

As for other characters - Darcy, Farris, Col. Brandon, Mr. Rochester - eck no. Epecially not Rochester! He was a whiney man who took out his temper at his own mistakes on other people, blaming them for his own choices (lets be honest, he didn't have to marry Bertha) and playing with peoples emotions for the sport of it (Jane and Miss Ingram). I love the story and all but honestly one of his his only redeeming qualities for me was that he wasn't St. John!

Becky Moore So great to hear that other girls crushed on Gilbert. None of my circle of friends even read the books. I'm in my 50's and he's still my ideal man.

message 45: by Laine (last edited Jan 27, 2013 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laine Gilbert embodies what every man should be---he sees Anne and loves her for what she is, immediately. She is his "true north" and despite both their romances with others, they never work because they are always headed for each other. Looks, fame, and fortune don't every distract them, they both know there is more to love than that. And when they lose their first child, Gilbert's anguish over Anne's loss of hope is the truest expression of love I've ever read in any book. Thank you for this post, nice to see others who have literary based love affairs. :)

Wai_Lan Yuen I was devoted to the Sullivan TV series in the 80s - they introduced me to the wonderful books. For me, I loved how Gilbert sacrificed his own needs for Anne. He pursued his own interests but never stopped hoping for Anne, quietly waiting for her in the background. Such gallantry!

Cat I love that guy

CatherineMorland I love Gilbert, he's so kind and good-natured. I like that he supported Anne's dreams, too. When they were kids, maybe he didn't like that she was so smart, but when they got older, he was supportive of her. I had such the crush on him when I was little because of the Sullivan movies (though I've read the books, too, of course). Haha.

Gabby He used to make me blush while reading, haha.

Laine Gabby wrote: "He used to make me blush while reading, haha."

I love that you said that!

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Anne of Green Gables (other topics)
The Blue Castle (other topics)
Rilla of Ingleside (other topics)
More...