Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive Stuff > Random Books that you just didn't 'get'...

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) | 561 comments Mod
We've all had them - the wtf books - tell us about any you've come across....

message 2: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (last edited Apr 17, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

This thread was inspired by a post on Zombicorns by John Green - it made me laugh and say wtf, just from the title and cover :)

Michael Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 507 comments The Dark Tower book(s) by Stephen King.

It just bored me.

Weird as I love his stuff for the most part.

message 4: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

Emily  (XEmilyX) | 730 comments Mod
Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the fight at the end about???

message 5: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

Emily wrote: "Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the fight at the end ab..."

I'd have put that book back on the shelf when i saw a character named sunshine, I can just about handle that kind of thing in glee world, but nowhere else :)

Christi (-_-Lola-_-) | 33 comments The Good Master  by Kate Seredy

I didn't get it....they take in a cuz who is mean. Teach her to be good and then return her. Or keep her? (I don't remember this book very well. It was that bad.)

message 7: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

Melanie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Sunshine by Robin McKinley - she's kidnapped by a vamp and then there's loads of random fights which I have no clue what was about. Pointless really.
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - what was the figh..."

It was actually a really disturbing book, misleading title! My friend gave me a stack of books Sunshine included with the instruction to read them and who was I to argue?

Michael Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 507 comments I remember reading about the Zombicorn book on someone's blog - http://booksnobbery.wordpress.com/201...

There are no unicorns in it!

message 9: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

Well that's stupid

message 10: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

I just read the review - book sounds nuts (or corn-cultivating-crazy) and tbh the reviewer hankering after a zombie-unicorn might be a few cobs short...

I love the idea of seeing you review this on your blog Emily:

Overall: 0/5
Cover: 2/5

Zombicorns by John Green

Review: It's stupid

message 11: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

Haha that looks like it would be hilarious to rant about!

Hayley Waters (hayleywaters) | 65 comments Zombicorns was confusing but I just loved it because I couldn't take it seriously!

Tony Talbot | 41 comments Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Took me half the book to discover it was the same story told from multiple viewpoints, all slightly overlapping. By then, I didn't care.

message 14: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

Ahhh - my hat goes off to you as at least you've read it - I've read the first 50 pages every couple of years since I was 19 and always give up - you must be more sympathetic than me as I gave up caring very quickly :)

Although I do like the idea of randomly editing work reports people submit to me by removing all the adjectives or words beginning with 't' - just to make the day go faster ;)

message 15: by Tony (last edited Apr 28, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

Tony Talbot | 41 comments Although I do like the idea of randomly editing work reports people submit to me by removing all the adjectives or words beginning with 't' - just to make the day go faster ;)

..that's part of the plot of Misery :-) - the captured writers typewriter keeps dropping letters.

He has o edi work ha looks like his.

message 16: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

lol - I'd forgotten about it in Misery

I was thinking about the hospital at the start of C22 when they get to edit the letters...I may have to suck it up and finish it this year - I can do it!

One of my biggest wtf books was Ulysses - I don't care how many times people tell me about the brilliance of it - I just couldn't get interested in anything much to do with it and it didn't even get more interesting when they hit the beach...

Tony Talbot | 41 comments I had problems with

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

...first grade grammar errors and in places nothing more than random sentences strung together: "The snow fell, nor did it cease to fall."

Must do better.

message 18: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

That sounds pants - is it intentional or just rubbish?

message 19: by Tony (last edited May 02, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Tony Talbot | 41 comments I think it's supposed to be intentional, but it's really just rubbish. How anyone can give such a terribly written story a good review is beyond me.

Tony Talbot | 41 comments I also had trouble with

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

There were four pages - at least - of nothing but numbers and nothing in the book worked for me at all until the last twenty pages.

message 21: by Christi (last edited May 02, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Christi (-_-Lola-_-) | 33 comments Another...

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (rack) by Avi

I got to page 1....then I stopped and thought, Can a book bore you into not reading it? Apparently. I should read it for school. (We do a Battle of the Books, where we play Jeopardy until one team wins. My team was victorious last year! Somehow this book made it onto the List.)

Lucy  | 14 comments The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica Verday This book was so boring!! :S
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks There was a lot to explain and Mr Sparks didn't do it. I hate when I am left like "What was going on here?"
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Another boring book.

message 23: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

I've heard good things about all of those, sorry they were disapointing

message 24: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?

message 25: by Emily , I Couldn't Think Of A Title (new)

Melanie wrote: "I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?"

Ooo I loved that film but it was most definitely a very confusing film!

Lucinda | 222 comments Zombicorns??!! x

Tony Talbot | 41 comments Melanie wrote: "I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha - but then I usually like historical fiction. Off to try watching Inception - perhaps it will be a wtf film?"

Inception is great. I love films that leave you guessing and don't always answer all of your questions!

Kirsteen Anyone read The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana? The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco Too weird. Shame cause it had a lot of potential but it just completely lost the plot towards the end...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Zombicorns (other topics)
Sunshine (other topics)
Fallen (other topics)
The Good Master (other topics)
Catch-22 (other topics)
More...