The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Books And Music > Triggers Songs ~ That Remind You Of Books

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4577 comments Mod
We'll post up a song, the others will listen to it and tell us what character/book this song reminds them of:

Mine: "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story

Ignore the name 'Maria' and replace it with 'Jessamine'. This song reminds me of Jessamine in Clockwork Prince, when she falls for Nate and thinks she's in love!!

Link to listen to song :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BQRG...

message 2: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1852 comments Booknut wrote: "We'll post up a song, the others will listen to it and tell us what character/book this song reminds them of:

Mine: "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story

Ignore the name 'Maria' and replace it..."

What a really interesting thought; i am not sure that i have ever thought of characters out of books in this way before and connected them to a song?! Let me see...certainly one of the elves out of 'Lord of the Rings' (either Lothlorien or Rivendell) should be to a graceful & elegant tune like say a song by Kathleen Jenkins (who is a really lovely classical singer; not that i am a classical fan but my mother plays her all the time & she sings the Christmas Carol 'Silent Night' so beautifully).

message 3: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Hey Booknut, this is a great Idea. Seriously, how do you think up so many things??! *shocked*

message 4: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Rimpy wrote: "Hey Booknut, this is a great Idea. Seriously, how do you think up so many things??! *shocked*"

OCD Bookworm, remember?! It comes with the package!:D

message 5: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1852 comments A character = song...i am afraid to say that i still cannot think of anything, as i honestly would not have thought of connecting the 2 things before. Xx

message 6: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Booknut wrote: "Rimpy wrote: "Hey Booknut, this is a great Idea. Seriously, how do you think up so many things??! *shocked*"

OCD Bookworm, remember?! It comes with the package!:D"

*laughs* :D

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments Booknut wrote: "Rimpy wrote: "Hey Booknut, this is a great Idea. Seriously, how do you think up so many things??! *shocked*"

OCD Bookworm, remember?! It comes with the package!:D"

Haha you have a lot of great ideas! I'm glad I'm a part of this group:) I sure do have a lot of fun.

Lucy *Qhuay's shellan* | 113 comments What about the song "Desert Rose" by sting?
You can listen it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lWwB...

I don't know about you but this song reminds me of Will Herondale and his feelings for Tessa so much.
Particularly when Sting says that he dreams of gardens in the desert sand, comparing love to a kind of mirage, hallucination.
I think that due to what happened to him, Will has a troubled mind, in the verge of madness even. We can associate the mirage, hallucinations here.
Will has to put up a façade because he fervently believes that those who love him will die. And between lies, he lost his way and doesn't know anymore what is the truth and what is his imagination.
And then he falls in love with Tessa but he pulls back, never living it for real so it seems for like a dream than reality...
And if we were to think that the desert is his life, meaning that his life is "lifeless", we would be led to think that only his love makes him alive for real.
And it is all like an intoxication because it is very strong but at the same time, it hurts him...

message 9: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Just the Girl by Click Five, reminds me of Darcy/Simon. Darcy with Lizzie Bennet and Simon with Isabelle Lightwood. The lyrics are funny (from a female perspective!). I guess from a guy's...not so much!:D

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Velliya) | 424 comments I have to say that 'Watercolour' and 'Witchcraft' by Pendulum remind me of the Hunger Games when I first read them and now, when I reread, they keep playing subconciously through my mind.

and another that comes clearly to mind is 'How far we've come' by Matchbox twenty when I read Passion by Lauren Kate. As much as I disliked the series, I can appreciate how insanely epic the soundtrack would be if it were to include this song.

More of a Mockingjay song was 'Uprising' by Muse which I tgought suits it perfectly.

'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes always reminds me of the Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz

That'a all that comes to mind at the moment but I will probably think of others :)

message 11: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Secrets by One Republic is a brilliant song for any couple that is one the verge of something, but have so many obstacles lying in their way (e.g. Peeta and Katniss!). It has gorgeous music and the lyrics are beautiful.;D

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "Secrets by One Republic is a brilliant song for any couple that is one the verge of something, but have so many obstacles lying in their way (e.g. Peeta and Katniss!). It has gorgeous music and the..."

i agree so much!!!!!!! i also LOVE that song and OneRepublic!!

message 13: by E.E. (new)

E.E. (latinlovertothee) | 28 comments Okay, I am very sorry, but the link won't post up here from youtube. The song is Your Love is a Song by Switchfoot.

Made me think of the Hunger Games somehow. Hard to explain, but it did.

message 14: by type95 (new)

type95 | 3 comments Viva La Vida by Coldplay reminds me of the book Cast a Bright Shadow by Tanith Lee.
The whole rise and fall of a king in the song is very reminiscent of the events that happen in the book :)

message 15: by Nora (new)

Nora (nora_ramirez) | 3 comments we found love from rihanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg00YE... reminds me of clary and jace from TMI and we are young http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMF... reminds me of sebastian/jonathan specially for the set the world on fire thing LOL

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments Nora wrote: "we found love from rihanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg00YE... reminds me of clary and jace from TMI and we are young http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMF... reminds me of sebastian/jona..."

Haha yes!!!

message 17: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 32 comments Lady Gaga with the Hunger Games. I've never listened to her songs, but she'll fit right in with the Capitol!

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments Shatha wrote: "Lady Gaga with the Hunger Games. I've never listened to her songs, but she'll fit right in with the Capitol!"

For sure!

message 19: by E.E.S. (new)

E.E.S. (classicsvariety) | 48 comments By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North made me think of how Peeta was there for Katniss through the 2nd Hunger Games during her nightmares and in the cave in the 1st Hunger Games.
Seems like all the songs have something that reminds us of the Hunger Games!

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments E.E.S. wrote: "By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North made me think of how Peeta was there for Katniss through the 2nd Hunger Games during her nightmares and in the cave in the 1st Hunger Games.
Seems like all the so..."

Yes!

message 21: by Martina (new)

Martina | 2 comments What about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE3qtE... (Lana Del Rey - You can be the boss)
This song reminds me of 50 shades trilogy. How about you?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"Firefly" by A-Teens made me think of Rue.

message 23: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: ""Firefly" by A-Teens made me think of Rue."

Oh...that's perfect!

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 866 comments I can't help but think of The Body Finder whenever I hear "You Belong with Me" by Taylor Swift.

message 25: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1852 comments I would have to say that Rhianna's new song 'Diamonds' reminds me of when in Stardust Yvaine kisses Tristan and so 'shines'. In particular the repetative lyrics that go "...you're beautiful like diamonds in the sky...shine bright like a diamond'.

Another one would be Taylor Swift's song 'Never gettin' back together' (unsure of the title, if that is it?) and this reminds me of Ron and Lavinder brown's relationship in Harry Potter - after all she is SO clingy and persistant!

message 26: by Clarté (new)

Clarté | 65 comments The song 'Zombie' by The Pretty Reckless always makes me think of Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1) by Lia Habel
And 'Demons' by Imagine Dragons is the 'official' Dalina song for me, so that reminds me of Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo :D

message 27: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Lucinda wrote: "I would have to say that Rhianna's new song 'Diamonds' reminds me of when in Stardust Yvaine kisses Tristan and so 'shines'. In particular the repetative lyrics that go "...you're beautiful like di..."

"We're Never Getting Back Together" pretty much sums up Lavender Brown :D Great thinking, Lucinda!!

message 28: by Woolfie (last edited Jan 16, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Woolfie  Silverbane  (Nightlightknight) | 35 comments Not forgetting the songs that were in fact inspired by characters from books:)

Raistlin Majere from Wies and Hickman's Dragonlance series inspired Soulforged by Blind Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBBuO...

message 29: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1852 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sorry from Ron Ron...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 30: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1939 comments Lucinda wrote: "

Sorry from Ron Ron...

"

Haha that's hilarious!

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments Lucinda wrote: "

Sorry from Ron Ron...

"

*falls of chair* Hahahahahaha!!!! Oh ron ron :)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucinda wrote: "

Sorry from Ron Ron...

"

Hahaha!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dearly, Departed (other topics)
Shadow and Bone (other topics)