EDWARD ABBEY AND THE SOUTHWEST discussion

Hey, Get involved.......

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milo (new)

Milo (milomccowan) | 17 comments Mod
Ask questions, add comments, wake up. I have much to post on the website. I need to know what you members want to hear about. I had a personal rlationship with Ed and own several of all of his 1st editions, many of the signed. Go to the http://edwardabbey.blogspot.com/ site and post comments, etc.
Next up is the Monkey Wreng Gang 1993 river trip with Clarke Abbey [Ed's wife:], her [and Ed's:] kids, Doug Peacock, Dave Foreman and more.

message 2: by Milo (new)

Group sites are only as good as participation from members.
Please post comments.
New updates on the website include the Monkey Wreng Gang 1993 river trip with Clarke Abbey [Ed's wife:], her [and Ed's:] kids, Doug Peacock, Dave Foreman and more. Many photos and comments, plus some rare photos of Ed taken in 1986 at Ken Sleight's Pack Creek Ranch in Moab, Utah.
Go to the http://edwardabbey.blogspot.com/ site to post comments, etc.

message 3: by Giulio (new)

Giulio | 3 comments anyway
i the monkey wrench gang movie ever gona get made after all?

message 4: by Milo (new)

Giulio wrote: "anyway
i the monkey wrench gang movie ever gona get made after all?"

Credible sources say it is underway. Problem is always $. I understand they are trying to shoot it on a real low budget. I would rather they wait and do it right.
Milo

message 5: by Giulio (new)

Giulio | 3 comments The monkey Wrench Gang would make a great movie, but I'm worried that if it was a high budget film, they might stray too far from the story line. Also, Do you know if they are using Abbey's screen play?

message 6: by Milo (new)

Abbey didn't write a screen play. It was written by ILANA BARDIN in 1993, then trashed for another writer. Several versions have surfaced since including the one currently being used. It does not do justice to the book.

message 7: by Giulio (new)

Giulio | 3 comments I'm not surprised movies rarely can do the book justice. but its really too bad that a book like the monkey wrench gang would have a bad screen play becasue a real good monkey wrench gang movie could be a classic. I agree with you, when they make the monkey wrench gang into a movie they have to do it right.

message 8: by dano (new)

dano (traviesodano) | 1 comments I don't think anyone can really do it justice. Just let Abbey's work speak for itself. I think a low budget film is the way to go on it. No need for lots of effects or big stars.

message 9: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments Hi, is anyone still talking here, or did I miss the boat?
It's been too long since I read Abbey and I'm feeling nostalgic.

message 10: by Milo (new)

Nope, we are still here. What is your favorite Abbey book?

message 11: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments Well, it's been so very long, I'll have to do a re-read, but I loved The Fool's Progress  An Honest Novel by Edward Abbey and Black Sun by Edward Abbey.

I was 18 when I read them and EA became the measure of a man for me. I can see a few flaws in that, looking back, lol...but it's something I haven't really been able to shake.
I'm planning a re-read soon :)

message 12: by Milo (new)

Black Sun was Ed's favorite of his novels.

message 13: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments I saw the photo on the website of you(?) with him in 86. That's pretty awesome. Did he say why it was his favorite? I imagine that would be akin to choosing a favorite child, a terribly difficult choice. I'm very curious though.

message 14: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments I always imagined him much like his characters, though I'm sure that's a misconception. At the time, I read the books, loved them and it wasn't like it is now. Now you can reach out easily and have a pretty good chance of actually communicating with that author that blew your mind or brought you home. I was essentially alone with those feelings. Gosh, I love goodreads! I love your photos of him too, they're very warm ;)

message 15: by Milo (new)

For all those who missed it the Matter Journal based in Fort Collins, Colorado and published by Wolverine Farm Publishing dedicated their Volume 13 to Ed. My photos are on the front and back covers plus more inside. You can order one through them at http://www.wolverinefarm.org/publishi...
Todd and his crew will take care of you.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael John | 10 comments I got to hear Jack Loeffler speak about Ed a couple of years ago at Petroglyph NM here in Albuquerque. His reflections and stories really helped me feel like I knew Abbey a little better. Loeffler is hosting a screening of Lonely Are The Brave next month at the New Mexico History Museum. It should be a great event. I've been reading some authors who benefitted from his work but am finding there is only voice that stands alone: Edward Abbey's voice.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael John | 10 comments Black Sun is my favorite as well. There is a haunting loneliness that runs through it - the solitude of wilderness and the solitude that we all face at some point in our lives. I respect the uncertain note on which it ends.

message 18: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments Michael wrote: "I got to hear Jack Loeffler speak about Ed a couple of years ago at Petroglyph NM here in Albuquerque. His reflections and stories really helped me feel like I knew Abbey a little better. Loeffler ..."

If only New Mexico were closer to Southwestern Pa :(

message 19: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 22 comments I've not been reading *sigh* or chatting much lately, busy summertime with kiddos. I'll be re-reading Black Sun soon (hopefully) and I'll pop back in then.

message 20: by Milo (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ wrote: "Michael wrote: "I got to hear Jack Loeffler speak about Ed a couple of years ago at Petroglyph NM here in Albuquerque. His reflections and stories really helped me feel like I knew Abbey a little b..."

Jack is a great guy. His book Headed Upstream is one of my favorites. I took Jack and his daughter Celestia on a river trip back in 93. Fine folk.

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Knop (goodreadscomDavid_Knop) | 8 comments Reading "Monkey Wrench" now. Wonderful writing. As a person who survived the sixties/seventies, though, I find the topic of eco-terrorism a little dated, ineffective, and, yes, offensive (still love Hayduke).

Ironically, many who protested against "The Man," in those days have assumed that very role.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fool's Progress (other topics)
Black Sun (other topics)