Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > "shelved by group" gone?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sandi (last edited Apr 13, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Sandi I don't know if it's a bug or intentionelly gone, but on all the book pages I've checked there is no longer a way to see which groups have put them on their shelf. Will this be restored?

Edit: To avoid confusion, I mean the feature that used to be under trivia and quotes on the book page.

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments Yes, we removed that a little bit ago.

Sandi But why? Will it be back? It is a very useful feature, especially for groups that have shelved a lot of books - in my case the 1001 books group - so many books that I sometimes need to check if a certain book was on that group's shelf or not (yes I actually do this a lot!)...Now I have to go to the group's page, then the bookshelf, then search for a title, and search results aren't always showing what I looked for...It was so much easier to just go to the book's page to see if a book is shelved by my groups or not. Any chance of bringing it back?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments What? Oh No!! [image error]

Why on earth would you remove that feature? I am really hoping you guys plan to reinstate that feature. "Shelved by group" is useful for so many reasons. Here are a few reasons I am sad to see that the feature has been removed:

1. If people like a particular book, then they might also like a group that has shelved the book - they may then join a group in order to have someone to discuss it with.

2. Authors like to know what groups may be discussing their book.

3. I use it as an easy way for members of my lending group to see if a book is lendable and in the group - so they don't buy it if someone already has it.

Please, Please, Please tell me you have only temporarily removed it because you are replacing it with something even better [image error]

Tala  (Tala2) | 92 comments All I can say is ditto to those who posted before me.
I found this feature extremely helpful, useful, and informative.

BRING IT BACK

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments I believe we removed it for performance reasons, so bringing it back in its previous form might prove difficult. That said, if you found it useful, we should consider recapturing that functionality :)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Yay! Daniel!

Are we going to need to flood this thread with others who find it useful? Because I am confident we can do that...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

+1 for BRING IT BACK

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2908 comments Well, considering that we're not too fond of the current book discussions links at the bottom of the book page, as they don't currently lead to group discussions, maybe the functions of the two could be combined somehow in a way that isn't as demanding of performance.

Something like a new feature that would be titled 'Groups that have shelved or are discussing this book.'

Yes, I know, the way I'm describing it sounds even more resource-intensive - just trying to prompt thoughts here.... Maybe if the links lead to the group bookshelf or home-page, not the specific thread or shelf?

R *is for Relentless* I would also like to say this is a feature I also use and would hate to see it gone.

This was how I found 2 of the groups that I'm currently a member. Without this function I would not have known they existed.

♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐ (lacrimsonfemme) | 436 comments Please bring it back. The group I help moderator had a huge influx of members once we updated and fixed our group shelf. We ask how they found out about our group. Frequently they found us through the books they read and saw that our group shelved it.

Betsy | 622 comments I would like to see it come back in some form, but I can't say I really used it often.

Mtsnow13 | 7 comments Please bring this option back. This was a very positive and useful addition to the Goodreads featureset.

~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~  (leilanilives2read) | 24 comments R *is for Relentless* wrote: "I would also like to say this is a feature I also use and would hate to see it gone.

This was how I found 2 of the groups that I'm currently a member. Without this function I would not have kno..."

Like R - this is how I found several groups as well.

Deborah | 1207 comments Please restore this function. I use it often.

Lee | 20 comments +1 hear! hear!

Sandi I'm glad I'm not the only one missing it! Can we have it back now please? :D

message 18: by Diane (last edited Apr 14, 2012 05:46AM) (new)

Diane | 76 comments Please bring back this function!

Rachael (Rachael0726) Please bring back this feature.
I found a couple of new groups by using this feature.

Mina Khan (Spicebites) | 3 comments As an author, I appreciated this feature and would love to have it reinstated! Thanks!

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments I know u guys are busy with bugs, but I don't want this topic to die... I use this feature Every. Single. Day. My groups use it every day.

Please consider bringing this feature back. Please. Please. Please.

Sandi A whole month has gone by, so...any new plans to bring this feature (or something similar and as useful) back? Please?

message 23: by Lisa (last edited May 13, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments Daniel wrote: "Yes, we removed that a little bit ago."

I really, really miss it.

I miss shelved by group and I also miss the group discussions links at book pages.

Having those features helped members better find books and helped them find groups too.

What a shame.

My request is to bring them back. Please!!! Thanks.

Deborah | 1207 comments Lisa wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Yes, we removed that a little bit ago."

I really, really miss it.

I miss shelved by group and I also miss the group discussions links at book pages.

Having those features helped m..."

I agree 100%. Please bring it back.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8528 comments Lisa wrote: " I also miss the group discussions links at book pages."

This feature still exists. The links are at the very bottom of the book page.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments This feature still exists. The links are at the very bottom of the book page."

Thanks, Elizabeth. I looked but I'll look again.

I still would like the group shelvings to show. I loved that feature.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8528 comments Yes, those are only the discussions, not shelvings, which is what the topic is about.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments Elizabeth, But they're not there either. At least not many.

For instance, here's discussion thread in one of my groups where the book IS linked:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

but if you go to that book, the group discussions do not show.

Both shelvings and discussions used to show.

I can give a plethora of examples but I don't have the time or patience.

I bring it up here because I feel the 2 features are so closely associated.

Does the last post in the discussion thread or the linked thread itself have to be very recent for it to show on books' pages? If so, how recent? Thanks.

message 29: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 13, 2012 01:33PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8528 comments At the bottom of the page is a "Discuss this Book" tab, which happens to be clickable. There are two tabs on the link "Topics about this book" and "Topics that mention this book".

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_b...

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments Thank you, Elizabeth. I'll have to remember that for all books. I didn't notice the different tabs.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments Hmm. But interesting that at that tab the "two" discussions seem to be duplicated; it's seemingly really one thread, not two. But, thank you very much. Now I can find it at least.

And, yes, please, please bring back books shelved on groups' bookshelves. I, and for some groups, co-mods, and in groups I belong to with other mods, we've worked really hard at shelving those books, and it would be appreciated if that information appeared at the books' pages.

Mtsnow13 | 7 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "Please bring this option back. This was a very positive and useful addition to the Goodreads featureset."

I want to repeat that we really would like this feature back. Thank you!

♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐ (lacrimsonfemme) | 436 comments I'm with Mtsnow13 and BunWat

Diane | 76 comments BunWat wrote: "I miss this feature. One of my book discussion groups has many members who joined because they saw that our group had shelved one or more books that they were reading."

I agree. My group's growth has slowed significantly since this feature went away. Also, I found most of the groups I am a member of through this feature.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments We ask prospective members how they heard about our group and we often got the response that they found us on the book page under groups that shelved the book. I'd like it brought back as well please.

Jen4607 (jennifer4607) | 37 comments I really miss this feature. It was very useful in the lending group to know if the book is shelved or not. Also, I join groups based on similar reading tastes and this feature is how I found the groups that I did join.

Vicki (bvicki) | 18 comments Jen4607 wrote: "I really miss this feature. It was very useful in the lending group to know if the book is shelved or not. Also, I join groups based on similar reading tastes and this feature is how I found the gr..."

I feel the same way, this was a very useful feature I would like to see back.

♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐ (lacrimsonfemme) | 436 comments Jen4607 wrote: "I really miss this feature. It was very useful in the lending group to know if the book is shelved or not. Also, I join groups based on similar reading tastes and this feature is how I found the gr..."

What she said.

message 39: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited May 31, 2012 06:37AM) (new)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments I really, really miss this feature. Any word on bringing it back?

HeatherTX | 6 comments Please bring back this function!

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 13 comments Ditto! I found some neat groups by using this feature. Typically I don't comment on these types of changes, but this is one instance where I want to provide my input. Goodreads is such an amazing site and I am so happy that we can voice our opinions like this....

Summer | 8 comments I too loved this feature and would like it back.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Can you guys give us an update on this feature that was removed? I have some instructions in my group that help members maximize their experience in the group by utilizing this feature. Is this something that is going to be brought back or should I go in and edit my instructions and remove this aspect?

I really hope you guys can find a way to work this back into GR - it is a great resource for members and authors who are members.

message 44: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11153 comments Mod
I ♥ Bᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ Nᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ wrote: "Is this something that is going to be brought back or should I go in and edit my instructions and remove this aspect?"

It may be brought back in a future redesign of the page, but it is unlikely to return soon. While we are aware that some users (and groups) would really like it back, we cannot do so with the current design without causing too many other problems.

message 46: by Riona (last edited Aug 14, 2012 10:51PM) (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 176 comments rivka wrote: "It may be brought back in a future redesign of the page, but it is unlikely to return soon. While we are aware that some users (and groups) would really like it back, we cannot do so with the current design without causing too many other problems."

That's really unfortunate. This was a feature I used all the time, along with pulling up all a member's posts in a group by clicking their name, and I'm upset that commonly used features like this are being phased out in favor of new bells and whistles. :(

Lee | 20 comments I'm sad about this too. Is there a way around this? Like Listopia lists for groups' bookshelves? It was such a great way to find readers with similar interests - another thing users have been wishing for & are unlikely to see any time soon.... :\

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments This makes me sad too but post 50 may be on to something....is this a possibility?

♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐ (lacrimsonfemme) | 436 comments I am sad too.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments I'm so sad. I hope Goodreads finds a way to eventually put it back. I don't understand/which I understood web development and programming, because it seemed for a long time to cause no problems when we had the feature, and I'm wondering what changed.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread