What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Stuffed turkey breast

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Valerie I'm going to try to make a stuffed turkey breast (from this recipe) for an upcoming casual holiday dinner.

I've never cooked just a turkey breast before. Has anyone made a stuffed one before? It looks pretty simple, but I'd appreciate any tips if anyone has any.

Martha Cheves (stirlaughrepeat) | 2 comments Try cooking it breast side down until about 30 minutes before it's done. Then flip it over and brown. That allows what juices are there to stay. I always cook a breast instead of the whole turkey. There is no one in my family that will eat dark meat so I just do the breast.
Martha

message 3: by Valerie (last edited Dec 24, 2008 06:57PM) (new)

Valerie OK, I made this tonight and it was great! I actually liked it more than I like a traditional turkey. There were, however, a few changes to the linked recipe...

First, the biggest boneless breast I was able to buy (at Whole Foods) was 3 1/2 pounds. The recipe called for a 12-pound boneless breast.

???

I had to cut the breast in half, and then split the two (horizontally) in half again in order to be able to pound them to a 1/2 inch thickness (I don't know if the recipe author's turkey breasts were cut differently, but in parts mine were more than 1 1/2 inch thick).

Then I pounded them, and spread the prepared stuffing over the entire breast, rolled them up and tied them with cooking string. I seared them for two minutes per side (total of four "sides").

Although the breasts I had were 3 1/2 pounds rather than twelve, they still required the 45 minute cooking time called for in the original recipe (I basted every ten minutes). At the end of the 45-minute cooking time the stuffing (not the breast) registered 155 degrees.

I let it rest for 15 minutes, and then sliced and served it and it was a big hit. For all white meat it was really tender and juicy, as was the stuffing.

I'd definitely make this again, and would recommend the recipe (with modifications) to others.

Happy Holidays!

unread topics | mark unread