Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK READING CHALLENGES > Challenge # 9: April 1, 2012 to June 30, 2012

Comments (showing 51-100 of 163) (163 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Darcy wrote: "Christine wrote: "I think back about two years ago and it was a struggle trying to find something to read and now my TBR pile is so huge it's a struggle to pick one off of it. Oh well, at least it'..."

Although, I do miss roaming the aisles of Borders, coupon in hand, trying to figure out what to buy next.

message 52: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Christine wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Christine wrote: "I think back about two years ago and it was a struggle trying to find something to read and now my TBR pile is so huge it's a struggle to pick one off of it. Oh well..."

I do like to wander the books store ailses. Although I am usually, read that, read that, read that. lol

message 53: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Christine wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Christine wrote: "I think back about two years ago and it was a struggle trying to find something to read and now my TBR pile is so huge it's a struggle to pick one off of it. Oh well..."

Awww, those were the days. Sometimes I didn't buy anything. I would just go in there, walk the aisles, and my spirits would be lifted. Barnes and Nobles is not the same, especially since they are stingy with the coupons and they try to dictate what you buy!

message 54: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments And B&N just doesn't carry the mid-list authors that Borders did. I think once maybe twice I went into Borders and couldn't find the book I wanted (but was able to order on-line from them). But right across the street at B&N they'd have only a fraction of Borders selection. It's an okay store, just not the same as my Borders. I even had my favorite clerks.

message 55: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) 2 of 7 completed

message 56: by Therese (new)

Therese (jellymonstergirl) 6 out of 7 finished!

Female Lead Urban Fantasy: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (Completed: 12th April)
Male Lead Urban Fantasy: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (Completed: 16th April)
Other Fantasy or Paranormal Romance: Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine
New Author: Matchbox Girls by by Chrysoula Tzavelas (Completed: 22nd April)
Science Fiction: Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (Completed: 14th April)
Green Cover: The Copper Promise: Ghosts of the Citadel by Jen Williams (Completed: 14th April)
Author A,M,or J: Florence and Giles by John Harding (Completed: 15th April)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey Mechanique A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine Matchbox Girls by Chrysoula Tzavelas Moxyland by Lauren Beukes The Copper Promise Ghosts of the Citadel by Jen Williams Florence and Giles by John Harding

message 57: by AggieBookLover (new)

AggieBookLover | 8 comments Finished 5 of 7

Female Lead Urban Fantasy: Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay Completed 4/13
Male Lead Urban Fantasy:Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance: Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong Completed 4/3
New Author: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner Completed 4/14
Science Fiction:Beyond Varallan by S.L. Viehl
Green/Plant Life Cover: Horizon by Lois McMaster Bujold Completed 4/17
Author A, M , or J:
Succubus Revealed by Richelle Mead Completed 4/23

Dead on the Delta (Annabelle Lee, #1) by Stacey Jay Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12) by Kelley Armstrong The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2) by S.L. Viehl Horizon (The Sharing Knife, #4) by Lois McMaster Bujold Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6) by Richelle Mead

message 58: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Christine wrote: "Finished 5 of 7

Female Lead Urban Fantasy:Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay Completed 4/13
Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance:Spell Bound by Kelle..."

Wow girl, you are no joke! How did you like the final Succubus book? I read the whole series in six weeks!

message 59: by AggieBookLover (new)

AggieBookLover | 8 comments Nakeesha wrote: "Wow girl, you are no joke! How did you like the final Succubus book? I read the whole series in six weeks! "

I actually only read Books 1(Blues), 3(Dreams), and 6(Revealed). I was able to borrow books 3 & 6 through lendle, otherwise I probably would have never read them. Surprisingly I guess I've read enough spoilers that I didn't feel like I was missing too much by having to skip the other books. I thought they were okay but not as good as everyone says they were. I think maybe Richelle Mead is just not for me. I read the first Dark Swan book and the first Vampire Academy book and didn't have an urge to read any more of those series either.

I also only read Dead on the Delta too because it was available for free at http://pocketafterdark.com/.

message 60: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) 3 out of 7 completed

message 61: by Eithne (new)

Eithne | 66 comments Posting late thanks for doing this I love these challenges! 1/7 completed

* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a female lead character -- Embers by Laura Bickle
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a male lead character -- White Night by Jim Butcher
*1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade

ANY GENRE:
Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist) -- Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas
* Optional Add'l Book - Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover -- The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder
* Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J. ---- Unleashed by John Levitt

Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1) by Laura Bickle White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher The Spirit Lens (Collegia Magica, #1) by Carol Berg The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) by Arthur Slade Star Wars A New Hope (Star Wars, #4) by George Lucas The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne, #1) by Mark Hodder Unleashed (Dog Days, #3) by John Levitt

message 62: by Audrey (last edited Apr 25, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) | 41 comments I'm late, but in.

Challenge #9

Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2012

5/7 Completed

* 1 UF (female lead character) - Daughter of Smoke and Bone - 4/13
* 1 UF (male lead character) - The Wolf Gift - 4/25
* 1 Fantasy OR PR (not strictly UF) - Friday Night Bites - 4/3
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre - The Girl in the Steel Corset
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross

ANY GENRE: Optional Books
* Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist)
* Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover - (green cover) Matched - 4/15
* Authors first name starts with an A - Crossed by Ally Condie - 4/17
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie

message 63: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 9 comments Hmm, I need another challenge like a hole in the head, but never mind eh! :) List to follow...

message 64: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Emy wrote: "Hmm, I need another challenge like a hole in the head, but never mind eh! :) List to follow..."

LOL! I think a lot of us can sympathize!

message 65: by Susan (new)

Susan | 146 comments 3/7 Complete:
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a female lead character :
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a male lead character: Hexed by Kevin Hearne 4/15
* 1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks 4/13
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre

ANY GENRE:
Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist)
* Optional Add'l Book - Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover
Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J.
Andrews, Ilona On The Edge 4/26

Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 66: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments 7 of 7 Completed, just finished my choices. :)

message 67: by Jean (new)

Jean (Jkat9) | 208 comments Darcy wrote: "7 of 7 Completed, just finished my choices. :)"

Congrats, Darcy!

message 68: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Thanks Jean!

message 69: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Christine wrote: "Nakeesha wrote: "Wow girl, you are no joke! How did you like the final Succubus book? I read the whole series in six weeks! "

I actually only read Books 1(Blues), 3(Dreams), and 6(Revealed). I wa..."

Aww, Seth is in my top three favorite literary men. I really wanted to like Dark Swan, but I couldn't get into it. I hope she comes up with another idea soon. I really like Meade's writing. I think she has a knack cliff-hanger-y writing.

message 70: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Darcy wrote: "7 of 7 Completed, just finished my choices. :)"

Congratulations, Darcy!!

message 71: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Thanks Christine!

message 72: by Audrey (last edited May 21, 2012 08:09AM) (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) | 41 comments Challenge #9

Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2012

6/7 Finished

* 1 UF (female lead character) - Daughter of Smoke and Bone - 4/13
* 1 UF (male lead character) - The Wolf Gift - 4/25
* 1 Fantasy OR PR (not strictly UF) - Friday Night Bites - 4/3
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre - The Girl in the Steel Corset - 4/27
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross

ANY GENRE: Optional Books
* Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist) -
* Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover - (green cover) Matched - 4/15
* Authors first name starts with an A - Crossed by Ally Condie - 4/17
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie

message 73: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) | 41 comments What the heck is going on with GR? The posts look all funky!

message 74: by AggieBookLover (new)

AggieBookLover | 8 comments Finished 6 of 7

Female Lead Urban Fantasy: Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay Completed 4/13

Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance: Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong Completed 4/3
New Author: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner Completed 4/14
Science Fiction: The Serrano Connection by Elizabeth Moon Completed 4/27
Green/Plant Life Cover: Horizon by Lois McMaster Bujold Completed 4/17
Author A, M , or J: Succubus Revealed by Richelle Mead Completed 4/23

message 75: by Susan (new)

Susan | 146 comments 4/7 Complete:
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a female lead character :
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a male lead character: Hexed by Kevin Hearne 4/15
* 1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks 4/13
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre: Murder on a Hot Tin Roof by Amanda Matetsky 4/29

ANY GENRE:
Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist)
* Optional Add'l Book - Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover
Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J.
Andrews, Ilona On The Edge 4/26

Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks Murder on a Hot Tin Roof (Paige Turner, #4) by Amanda Matetsky On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 76: by Alice (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 95 comments TahDah! 7/7 done

message 77: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Congrats Alice!!

message 78: by Jean (new)

Jean (Jkat9) | 208 comments Finished Sweet Blood of Mine by John Corwin. Really good. 5 stars.

5/7 completed

message 79: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Alice wrote: "TahDah! 7/7 done"

Yeah, Alice!! Great job!

message 80: by Therese (new)

Therese (jellymonstergirl) 7 out of 7 finished!

Female Lead Urban Fantasy: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (Completed: 12th April)
Male Lead Urban Fantasy: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (Completed: 16th April)
Other Fantasy or Paranormal Romance: Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine (Completed: 5th May)
New Author: Matchbox Girls by by Chrysoula Tzavelas (Completed: 22nd April)
Science Fiction: Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (Completed: 14th April)
Green Cover: The Copper Promise: Ghosts of the Citadel by Jen Williams (Completed: 14th April)
Author A,M,or J: Florence and Giles by John Harding (Completed: 15th April)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey Mechanique A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine Matchbox Girls by Chrysoula Tzavelas Moxyland by Lauren Beukes The Copper Promise Ghosts of the Citadel by Jen Williams Florence and Giles by John Harding

message 81: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Congrats Theri!

message 82: by Eithne (new)

Eithne | 66 comments 3/7 completed

* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a female lead character -- Embers by Laura Bickle -- completed
* 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a male lead character -- White Night by Jim Butcher
*1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade -- completed

ANY GENRE:
Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist) -- Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas
* Optional Add'l Book - Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover -- The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder
* Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J. ---- Unleashed by John Levitt -- completed

Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1) by Laura Bickle The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) by Arthur Slade Unleashed (Dog Days, #3) by John Levitt

message 83: by Julia (last edited May 12, 2012 12:05PM) (new)

Julia | 612 comments I'm just now putting up my list, but I've already read some of the books I've put on my list:

4/7

UF #1- female lead Deadlocked 5/4/12 Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris 3 stars
UF #2- male lead Moonshine
Fantasy- Eyes Like Leaves5/11/12
Eyes Like Leaves by Charles de Lint 2 stars
new author The Night Circus 4/25/12 The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 5 stars
science fiction Partials 4/10/12 Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wells 5 stars
green/ plant life Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
last name J: The Lottery and Other Stories

message 84: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ completed 4/7

message 85: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Woohoo 9/9 that's me done!

message 86: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments Congrats Rachael!

message 87: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Theri wrote: "7 out of 7 finished!"

Congratulations, Theri!

message 88: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments Rachael wrote: "Woohoo 9/9 that's me done!"

Good job, Rachael!
And with bonus books no less. You only had to read a book with a letter for one of the months, but I like that you did all three. I may try that myself. I think Gaynell is doing all three, too.

message 89: by Christine (new)

Christine | 757 comments So far, Darcy, Alice, Lourdes, Theri, and Rachael have all finished the challenge! Congratulations!

To everyone else: Keep up the good work and happy reading!

message 90: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes Woods (lwoods55) | 3 comments Thanks! Can't wait for the next challenge! Bring It!!!! (LOL)

message 91: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments Ok, I'm marking my place in the thread... forgot to come back and check on what the challenge was, LOL!

DONE * 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a female lead character Darkness Falls
Currently reading * 1 Urban Fantasy Title featuring a male lead character Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Currently reading * 1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) Black Dawn
DONE * 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever

ANY GENRE:
DONE * Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist) Partials by Dan Wells
DONE * Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn and Eona by Alison Goodman

So right now i have 4/7 completed, 2 in progress and i think i know what i can read for the cover hunt. Going to go move my old copy of "Queen of the Damned" to the top of my to-read stack.

message 92: by Jean (new)

Jean (Jkat9) | 208 comments 6 out of 7 completed with Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth for the green/nature cover. I enjoyed it, but it left me with a LOT of questions.

message 93: by Rose (new)

Rose Be | 36 comments Oops! I forgot to say I was participating, but I am and I've been reading! (Although I still don't have all my books figured out.)

UF Male lead: Red Glove by Holly Black
UF Female lead: ?
Other Fantasy: Legend by Marie Liu (finished 5/5 or so)
New-to-Me Author: Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (finished 5/15)

Optionals:
SciFi: ?
Green cover:
A/M/J: An Acceptable Time by Madeline L'Engle

message 94: by Natalie (last edited May 16, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Natalie A. Natalie 2/6 completed

1. UF (Female): One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost - COMPLETED 5/12

2. UF (Male): Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh - COMPLETED 5/16

3. Other Fantasy or PR: Lucinda Dangerously by Sunny - IN PROGRESS

4. Book by New Author: Blood Song by Cat Adams

5. Optional Book (Green Cover or Plant Life): Raven Cursed by Faith Hunter

6. Optional Book (Author's First or Last Name with the Letter A, J or M): Tangled Threads by Jennifer Estep

message 95: by Elidanora (new)

Elidanora | 41 comments 4/7 completed

message 96: by Eithne (new)

Eithne | 66 comments 4/7 done

message 97: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) 4/7 done!
I got to the last few chapters of Storm Front and realized that I had lost interest at halfway through. I'm cleansing my palette with a mindless romp in Kressley Cole's world and then I'm off to Graceling!

message 98: by Jean (new)

Jean (Jkat9) | 208 comments Nakeesha wrote: "4/7 done!
I got to the last few chapters of Storm Front and realized that I had lost interest at halfway through. I'm cleansing my palette with a mindless romp in Kressley Cole's world and then I'm..."

I've heard that the Dresden Files series doesn't get really good until the 4th or 5th book. I've read the first two books and felt the same way you did with Storm Front. I plan to continue with the next few books though, since I've heard so many good things about the series.

message 99: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ completed 5/7

message 100: by Elisa (new)

Elisa  (OCDReader) | 35 comments Elisa 5/7 completed
I decided to join this late but what I read fits :) so I am in! My main issue is that I read the new stuff I get first, I like that this works on the dusty TBR!

* 1 UF Title female - ?? (hmmm - I keep reading new stuff)
* 1 UF Title male - Blood Rites (5/4)
* 1 Other Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) - Early to Death, Early to Rise (5/16)
* 1 Other book by an author you've never read before (expanding your horizons!) - any genre - Shades of Grey (working on it)

ANY GENRE:
Optional Add'l Book: Science Fiction (can be straight sci-fi or a book with a sci-fi/futuristic twist) - Socialpunk (futuristic twist 4/23)
* Optional Add'l Book - Cover Hunt: Book with green as the primary cover color OR some form or plant life on the cover - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel (4/29)
* Optional Add'l Book: Since this challenge covers April, May, and June, read a book for which the title or the author’s first or last name begins with either A, M, or J. - Kiss of Midnight (5/14)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Infamous (other topics)
Eventide (other topics)
Blood on the Bayou (other topics)
Zombies vs Unicorns (other topics)
Alpha Instinct (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richelle Mead (other topics)
Lisa Kleypas (other topics)
Chloe Neill (other topics)