What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > YA or Childrens book - Girl and her 3 younger siblings go on a long journey after their mother abondons them in a car (s)

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lilac  | 13 comments Okay, so I only read this book about 4 years ago but it could be really old. What I remenber is this.

*The book is about 4 siblings:
-The oldest is the main character - a girl who's about 12 or 14
-The second oldest is a 10 year old boy who helps look after the other ones.
-The next is a 9 year old girl who doesn't speak at all.
-The youngest is either 5,6 or 7 I think and I can't remember whether it's a girl or boy.

*Their mother aboandons them in a car somewhere (A garage?) and doesn't come back. After the kids have been there all night the oldest decides that their mother isn't coming back and colects all the food and money from the car before leaving with the others to go and find an aunt who lives miles away who they havn't seen for ages.

*They travel on the road for a few days, sleeping in abandoned buildings.

*When they reach this place with a lake/river they fish there because they are starving by now. The youngest steals someones shopping without realising it is wrong and gets told off by the oldest.

*At some point (might be before or after what happened in the lst point) a student finds them and buys them food in a burger shop. He lets them sleep in his house for the night and in the morning he or his friend drive the kids somewhere (either to a town or to their aunts house)

*When they reach their aunts house she is nice to them but the oldest doesn't like living there because the aunt is very strict and makes them go to a horrible school. She then gets a job cleaning windows so the children will all be able to run away to their grandma's house.

*When she has enough money she takes them away even though 1/2 of them doesn't want to go and spends lots of her money on a bus to the town her grandma lives in.

*When they find their grandma she is very strange but is still nice to them. In they end they end up living with her and going to school nearby.

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 209 comments Cynthia Voigt Homecoming

Lilac  | 13 comments Thanks

Emily Tuckett | 11 comments The sequel is called Dicey's Song

Galadriel Thoman (Khylira) | 12 comments There may be more after Dicey's Song, too. I can't remember. I loved those books when I was a kid!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Homecoming (other topics)