The Sword and Laser discussion

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
This topic is about The Magicians
The Magicians > secret history (early spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catelijne | 11 comments I haven't finished the book yet, but I have to say that certain parts of the book remind me of the Secret History by D. Tartt. The atmosphere surrounding the Physical Kids and the tension that arose with the death of A.
I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. These elements were exactly what I liked about Secret History.

Anne Schuessler (anneschuessler) | 638 comments I haven't read The Secret History, although I remember I always wanted to read it. Anyway, I can't say something particularly in regard to comparing the two books.

But now that you mention it, I have readSpecial Topics in Calamity Physics and that was weirdly similar as well. It's not a fantasy book at all, but it focuses around the weird dynamics of a group of arrogant and elitist teenagers and one of their teachers. And yes, I do like these mysterious teenager stories, although at times it's kind of annoying to read about kids you just want to punch on a regular basis.

It's one of the interesting parts of The Magicians though, the way he writes a really magical fantasy story with protagonists who really are just your spoiled, bratty teenagers and making it still feel believable.

Catelijne | 11 comments You're are making my point for me and you are doing a better job at it! That's exactly what I meant.
And I agree with the punching ;)

Seth Buchsbaum | 31 comments I agree 100% with the comparisons to both The Secret History and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Both have protagonists, like The Magicians, that have odd and sometimes incredibly frustrating relationships with their peer groups (although in my view their interactions still seem very believable for the situations they are put in). (view spoiler)The only difference, of course, is the magic.

I loved all three books, as you can probably tell. While my high school/college experience was very different in many ways (probably because my friends were not quite as dramatic as those written in these books, and there wasn't a plot-driving death), I felt like the three authors got a lot of the little things right.

Lizzy (Kymethra) Given the similarities to The Secret History in the set-up, it's saying something that I didn't enjoy this, and yet The Secret History is one of my favourite books ever.

message 6: by Josh (last edited Apr 13, 2012 08:50PM) (new) - added it

Josh Wallin (WallinJosh) | 2 comments I haven't read The Secret History either but I see your point. It seems like everyone was so stunned by the death, that no one would even acknowledge it, which is something you don't see in books about young adults. However, a good point also is that this novel is meant to be more realistic and adult in nature, si this might be the more realistic response.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magicians (other topics)
The Secret History (other topics)
Special Topics in Calamity Physics (other topics)