The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Cassandra Clare
This topic is about Cassandra Clare
Favourite Series > Infernal Devices & Mortal Instruments

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
Shadowhunters. What could be cooler than Shadowhunters?! I wish I was one, but unfortunately I'm not. :(

Oh well. I can dream!

The allure and magical pull of Cassie Clare's wonderful world is too strong to deny. With enigmatic characters, twisting plots, witty banter - what more could you ask for?!! Both of her series' are delightful to read, though for me, I prefer Infernal Devices because it's set in my all-time fave era and I love guys who wear bowler hats. And read Tennyson. And Will Herondale is the BEST guy character ever! (ok, ok, Jem is great too!)

Questions to ask yourself (answer as many or as little as you wish!):

- Which series is the best?
- Who is your fave character? (overall/in the separate genders)
- Shadowhunters/Downworlders?
- Jem/Will?

And for curiosity's sake: What do you think Tessa is? (Downworlder, warlock, fae, Shadowhunter, clockwork, etc.)

message 2: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Isabelle (Potterwholockian) | 1418 comments Mod
1. infernal devices
2. Will Herondale
3. Downworlders
4. Will
5. hmm... ????? Not sure

message 3: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket

message 4: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket
Photobucket

message 5: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket

*sobs*

message 6: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket
Photobucket

And my fave quote which I think Will should totally use:
Photobucket

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket

message 8: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Lucy Ibn al-Rashid  | 113 comments I totally worship Miss Cassandra Clare :D She's one of my all time idols :D
I am a die-hard fan of both series but I prefer The Mortal Instruments. The plot of TMI is much more interesting than the plot of TID.
Overall, Jace Lightwood is my favourite character. +.+
I have a thing with battle scarred, hardened heroes that use sarcasm to hide their inner struggle and their pain. And that fragile side of them totally kills me +.+
Also, I can relate to Jace in so many ways that I don't even know where to begin.
Jace is also, of course, my fave of TMI characters.
Though, I also love Clary and Magnus to death :D
In The Infernal Devices, my favourite character is Jem Carstairs. He is just the sweetest, most caring guy ever and you can«t be indifferent to him. +.+
Between Shadowhunters and Downworlders I prefer the shadowhunter of course, but without forgetting my dears Simon, Luke and Magnus.
Shadowhunters are just awesome. :D I wish I was one.
I think that I have already answer the next one by saying that Jem is my favourite from TID.
Now, Miss Tessa Gray, I think that she is some hybrid that was never seen before.
I don't think that she is a Downworlder because she is not marked as one, but she is not a Shadowhunter either because she is immortal.
Maybe, and even though it is thought impossible such thing, she is really the offspring of a shadowhunter and a demon.
That would explain the absence of a mark and the immortality.
Let's just wait to see.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "Shadowhunters. What could be cooler than Shadowhunters?! I wish I was one, but unfortunately I'm not. :(

Oh well. I can dream!

The allure and magical pull of Cassie Clare's wonderful world is..."

OMIGOODNESS I LOVE THESE PICTURES SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love all of cassie's books but infernal devices is definitely my fav!!!!!!!!!!!!! my favorite character would either be Tessa or Will!
obviously i am 1,000,000,000,000,000,000% TEAM WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOSH I LOVE WILLIAM HERONDALE WITH ALL OF MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Lauren0924) | 68 comments I've read the first book of each series and so far, I absolutely love The Infernal Devices and thought that The Mortal Instruments was okay. I'd pick WIll (love him!) over Jace, Jem over Alec, Jessamine over Isabelle, and Tessa over Clary any day. I identified a lot more with Tessa than Clary and enjoyed the settings more in Clockwork Angel. I will continue reading both series though! My favorite characters so far are Tessa and Will and I have no idea what Tessa is.

message 12: by Anna (last edited Jun 02, 2012 10:38PM) (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments I love all of Cassie's books but Infernal Devices is definitely my fav!

My favorite character would have to be either Will or Tessa. Will just cause he's so....you know Will. ;) And then I love Tessa! She's an amazing protagonist! She's very strong and doesn't let the whole 'love triangle' thing go to her head! I know that if I had Jem and Will on either side of me, (well first I would faint, then wake up and dance around in joy) but it would definitely go to my head.

Hah I love them both! But with William and Jace being shadowhunters..I would have to go with shadowhunters.

And if it's not completely obvious that i am IN LOVE WITH WILLIAM HERONDALE , I am 1 bijillion percent TEAM WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh! demon pox, oh demon pox....:D

I honestly don't know what Tessa is! maybe part shadowhunter - part downworlder??

message 13: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Anna wrote: "I love all of Cassie's books but Infernal Devices is definitely my fav!

My favorite character would have to be either Will or Tessa. Will just cause he's so....you know Will. ;) And then I love Te..."

Demon pox song 4EVER!!!!!

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "Demon pox song 4EVER!!!!! "

haha you know it!!! :D

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1948 comments I love this:) I love all the pictures! I love Cassandra Clare. She gave me Will. I will forever love her for that:P

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments Olivia wrote: "I love this:) I love all the pictures! I love Cassandra Clare. She gave me Will. I will forever love her for that:P"

Ahh how could you not love Cassandra Clare!! :) And of course her bringing Will to us, will make me love her forever!

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "Olivia wrote: "I love this:) I love all the pictures! I love Cassandra Clare. She gave me Will. I will forever love her for that:P"

Ahh how could you not love Cassandra Clare!! :) And of course he..."

Exactly:)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afire.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 869 comments Aww I loved the one with the phone about Magnus

message 20: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Melissa wrote: "Aww I loved the one with the phone about Magnus"

Same :)

message 21: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afire."

You've seen nothing yet!!! It just gets better from here, Cat!

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afire."

Oh good lord trust me, it's only the beginning!

message 23: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afire."

Oh good lord trust me, ..."

*nods* Take it from us. Your heart palpitations and endless inner fangirling sessions have only just begun!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Booknut wrote: "Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afire."

Oh good lo..."

*grins* You can see my review if you like - it is not very Will friendly, however. I found him a little annoying - more than a little. But he is endearing in a JP way.

message 25: by Anna (last edited Jan 20, 2013 01:43AM) (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set so many young women's passion afi..."

May I ask who this JP is? And your thoughts on Will.. well to each his own! Better chance for mee *wink wink*

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Anna wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I am currently reading Clockwork Angel, and I am beginning to see why a certain Mr. Herondale has set ..."

Frankly, if I admitted that I liked Will (just a random thought) I think I would be trampled by Booknut and the rest of the William lovers, so I would (if I liked Will, of course) smartly not reveal the depths of my admiration.

Have you ever read the fanfiction The Life and Times by Jewels? Well, it is a Marauders fanfiction that creates a James Potter that is quite akin to personality (and looks, I may add) to Will.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

REVELATION:
I haven't read Mortal Instruments yet.

I know, I really need to! But there were three billion holds on it at the library, so I wanted to wait until the hype died down a little.

*shrugs* Ah well.

But Internal Devices is awesome (WILL AND TESSA WILL AND TESSA WILL AND TESSA AND OH YEAH WILL AND TESSA)

message 28: by Neona (new)

Neona Nyx | 85 comments Tessa Vakarian, Queen of the Final Frontier wrote: "REVELATION:
I haven't read Mortal Instruments yet.

I know, I really need to! But there were three billion holds on it at the library, so I wanted to wait until the hype died down a little.

*shrug..."

Both the series are really good.

Mortal instruments is an amazing series but the fifth book will make you want to throw it out the window.

The City of Bones is awesome, even the movie was amazing.

WordlesslyAmazed03 | 708 comments Really? I heard really bad stuff about it... Not as bad as the crap Sea of Monsters was getting thrown in its face, but still pretty bad.

message 30: by Anna (last edited Sep 28, 2013 09:30PM) (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments WordlesslyAmazed03 wrote: "Really? I heard really bad stuff about it... Not as bad as the crap Sea of Monsters was getting thrown in its face, but still pretty bad."

It was actually pretty good!! They only messed up on a few things and I didn't think it took anything away from the movie! But Sea of Monsters was just horrible ugh

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 52 comments - Which series is the best?
The Mortal Instruments by a hair-splitting

- Who is your fave character? (overall/in the separate genders)
Izzy Lightwood and Magnus Bane (oh those characters)

- Shadowhunters/Downworlders?
I love both Shadowhunters and Downworlders! I'd want to be a Warlock or a Shadowhunter :)

- Jem/Will?
JEM MY JEM<3

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't gotten around to "The Mortal Instruments" yet, but loved "The Infernal Devices." I plan to carry on in the New Year. :) My favourite character was Tessa. She's smart, loves books, and has two hot guys vying for her attention! Plus, her power is pretty cool. She is her own person, and I think that's very admirable, especially considering the troubles she has to go through. As to Shadowhunter or Downworlder, I would prefer to be a Downworlder. They seem to be have more fun, and far less duties to fulfill! Between Jem and Will, I will always pick Jem. Will is far too arrogant for me. :)

unread topics | mark unread