Writers Worth discussion

Wanted! > Looking for writers to contribute stories to an online serial novel site

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments I have just put together a site with the basic premise is that the audience decide where the story goes.

My idea is that an author publishes a chapter online and at the end they offer the readers a chance to vote on what comes next. This is done in the form of a poll at the end of the chapter. Once there are enough votes then the author continues the story with the reader's feedback included.

If I can get enough writers involved then there will be at least one storyline or genre that will interest enough readers and draw people to the site.

If you are interested in being part of this project then let me know and I'll set you up with an author account so you can start right away.

I expect it might start slowly but hopefully it will become a showcase for the author's work and a great way to involve your audience is shaping the plot.

I haven't really thought about guidelines for the stories or anything like that but I would expect that 3-4000 words per chapter/episode would be about right. Give people a chance to get into the characters and the world and then have them make a meaningful contribution to what comes next.

So if you'r interested drop me a line.

If you've got an idea for an opening but don't know what comes next maybe this is for you. Or if you just want to put yourself out there for something a little different to your usual work then this could be a fun safe way to test the waters with a new genre or subject matter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

The project is called Story Time and the address is http://story-time.me/

I'd love it if you could be part of this.

message 2: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Story Time now has two opening chapters in two different genres, a children's story and a paranormal story.

There is plenty of room for more so if you're interested in being involved let me know.

the link is: http://story-time.me/

message 3: by Amber (last edited Apr 16, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

Amber Ivers (mohawkguy28) | 126 comments LOL..I actually have a little collection of kids stories, well two, that I have called Story Time. I'll send you one of my kids stories. If you want to add it you can, if not that's fine. My kids liked it but I didn't see it as a big success especially since I don't know how to draw! LOL..But you can decide if you want to or not.

I sent it. I forgot to add a subject line but I sent the file and it is called Story Time. There are actually two stories on there.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 720 comments Mod
I'd be interested. Any need for cyberpunk, action, or thriller stuff?

message 5: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Matthew wrote: "I'd be interested. Any need for cyberpunk, action, or thriller stuff?"

All genre's are welcome so if you have some chapters to share then I'll set you up with an account and you can post them yourself. Alternatively if you would prefer me to put the first ones up for you I'd be happy to do that too.

The plan is to publish one chapter at a time and ask the audience what should happen next :-)

message 6: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Taylor (AhmadDarkside) | 27 comments Goran,

Sounds like an interesting idea.

I'd be up for something like that if you could give a bit more feedback as to time lengths for writers? Does everyone go at the same time or will there be a cycle of 1 writer a month? Will we be collaborating or writing solo?

I'll head over to check out your site.

You can also find me at:

ahmadtaylor10@gmail.com
http://www.ahmadtaylor.com

Thanks,

Ahmad

message 7: by Selena (new)

Selena Paulsen (srpaulsen) | 2 comments Hi. I'd be interested but have a couple of questions:
1. How does this affect our status as "published" or "unpublished"? I've become very wary of that lately.
2. How long do you want the finished product? I'm willing to do it on a shorter work, but not something novel length.

Thanks! Selena Paulsen.
srpaulsenauthor.blogspot.com

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I'd be interested. Any need for cyberpunk, action, or thriller stuff?"

All genre's are welcome so if you have some chapters to share then I'll set you up with an account and you ..."

All sounds good! So how do I go about setting up an account? Also, I have a 2000 word story that is basically chapter 2 of the Grim Future story I wrote for our anthology. I wrote it for fun, but chances are it will never see the light of day. And it's perfect for audience participation since it starts with a cataclysmic event and ends on a cliffhanger.

message 9: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the page for the book and you are away.

I've been uploading PDF chapters and adding a poll on the story page to garner responses about what happens next.

take a look at http://story-time.me and you'll (hopefully) see what I'm talking about. :-)

I am glad you're interested in coming aboard... if I can get a few different authors and genres on there I think it might turn into something different and worthwhile.

message 10: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Selena wrote: "Hi. I'd be interested but have a couple of questions:
1. How does this affect our status as "published" or "unpublished"? I've become very wary of that lately.
2. How long do you want the finished ..."

The work will remain yours to do with as you please. I am not in any way attempting to subvert your rights to your hard earned creative efforts.

With respect to the length of the finished work then that is up to you. If you have a short story in mind with a few decision points along the way then thats cool. If you want to try a sweeping epic then go for it.

I don't really want to comment on the "published" "unpublished" thing directly as I am not a lawyer but the definition of published may vary from company to company. If you visit Brandon Sanderson's site you will see that he has showcased his work in many different formats some of which during the WIP stage and these still ended up as books so I guess it depends. If you are an indie author looking to self publish the finished product then you are entirely within your rights to do so.

I know that doesn't directly address your concerns (and they are valid) but I still hope that you might be willing to participate. :-)

message 11: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Ahmad wrote: "Goran,

Sounds like an interesting idea.

I'd be up for something like that if you could give a bit more feedback as to time lengths for writers? Does everyone go at the same time or will there be ..."

My initial idea would be that each writer works on their story solo with regular breaks for reader input into what happens next. Hopefully one day (if things get more advanced) a collaborative story might be something that could be on the cards.

In terms of timeframe then I don't have any specific thoughts beyond being fast enough to maintain reader interest and keep them in the story without having re-read the whole work each time to remind themselves whats happenning. I myself and thinking of one chapter every two weeks, but its early days and I'm just seeing how that works.

All you need is a wordpress account and then I can make you an author on the site and you can create pages, and blog posts and set up polls.

I'd love to see you there.

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the page for the book and you are away.

I've been ..."

Indeed I do! I'm at storiesbywilliams.com and am following Story Time as... whenever I first saw this announcement. So shall I send the story over to you so you can peruse it and see if it meets the requirements, etc?

message 13: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the page for the book and you are awa..."

The invitation has been sent. Welcome aboard :-)

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the page for the book..."

Story posted! One thing though... how do I add a category? I've tried but can't seem to find the right tab/button... Is that something you do?

message 15: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the pag..."

Hmm... I'll have a look and let you know. I would have thought you could add your own categories.

message 16: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need to create the pag..."

I just read your chapter... very nice set up, for the rest of the story. I am looking forward to see how it unfolds. Are you planning to add a poll to the end of the post so that readers can vote for what comes next? I was thinking that the question the readers could answer is "Should Holden confont the approaching men, or should he run away?"

I make that only as a suggestion but you may have your own question in mind.

To add the question you just use the poll function in wordpress which uses a polldaddy account.

Then you write chapter two based on what choice becomes the most popular. The second chapter of TJ thirteen is due to be written and so far this story looks to be taking the characters to the museum.

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Goran wrote: "Excellent. All you need is a wordpress account. If you have one of those let me know and I'll send you the invitation. Then I just need t..."

Ah yes, a poll! I'll get right on that!

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Done, got ten votes and waiting on the last!

message 19: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (Dragonsworn) (eliadelholm) Hey. This sounds like a very interesting project. I am intrigued!

I am perhaps a little too busy to write frequently enough at present, but that should change in a month or so. Also I am working on another project but I should probably be able to both, that is if you'll have me. English is not my native language but I think I master it fairly well.

I have some unused ideas stored that I could go and dust off. And I write fantasy, by the way.

message 20: by Goran (new)

Goran Zidar | 77 comments That sounds fantastic :-) As soon as you're ready let me know and I'll send you an invitation. Do you have a wordpress account? If not you will need to set one up. And once you have that you are good to go.

Thanks for taking an interest.

message 21: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (Dragonsworn) (eliadelholm) Goran wrote: "That sounds fantastic :-) As soon as you're ready let me know and I'll send you an invitation. Do you have a wordpress account? If not you will need to set one up. And once you have that you are go..."

Cool! I will go set up a wordpress account right away.

message 22: by Matthew (new)

Hypervorean wrote: "Goran wrote: "That sounds fantastic :-) As soon as you're ready let me know and I'll send you an invitation. Do you have a wordpress account? If not you will need to set one up. And once you have t..."

And be sure to let us know where it is so we can all get on there and "follow" you ;)

message 23: by Matthew (new)

I need voters! Crashland chapter 6 is sitting on a cliffhanger and I need people to pick what they want to see happen. I'm itching to write it!

unread topics | mark unread