What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Where the Lilies Bloom
This topic is about Where the Lilies Bloom
Children's/YA-SOLVED > childrens novel from 60s or 70s about siblings trying to make it on their own [s]

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Luedeke | 3 comments I read this book when I was a kid...I think it was published in the 1960s or 1970s. It had a purplish cover and I THINK the title had the word "orchid" or "lilac" in it. But I could be way off on that.

It was about sisters (there might have been a brother) who were trying to make it on their own and keep the family together after their mother had either died or became sick (can't remember). The feel of it was very gritty. Part of me thinks it was set in the 30s, but I could be wrong on that.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip (JeevesWooster) The first idea that comes to my mind is the first volume of "The Box Car Children".

Amanda Luedeke | 3 comments Thanks for the comment, Phillip. It's not that one...this one was written for an older audience. Came as a mass market paperback and the cover was styled like this one only it was for teen girls: Crazy Ladies

I realize finding this one is a longshot, since I can't remember anything about the plot. Sigh.

Kate Farrell | 1286 comments Mod
Also a possibility: Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt.

Amanda Luedeke | 3 comments Kate wrote: "Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera Cleaver? Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera Cleaver"

YES! Oh my, I can't believe it! Thank you so much.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crazy Ladies (other topics)
Where the Lilies Bloom (other topics)
Dicey's Song (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vera Cleaver (other topics)
Cynthia Voigt (other topics)