We ♥ YA Books! discussion

Archives > The Vampire Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristine (last edited Apr 06, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) I sometimes think that I am too old to be reading sappy vampire novels. Then I realize that I really don't care. The main reason that I love to read is to have a hobby that helps me escape reality and enter a world full of adventure, excitement, and thrills. Lets be honest, vampire novels fit the criteria.
I thought I would create a new discussion based on all of the members favourite vampire novels of all time. I get it, not everyone is into the vampire thing, and that's fine. This discussion is either not for you, or a place that just might change your mind. We vampire lovers can hope.
I'm currently in the process of reading a series of novels that my sister recommended to me. I was wondering if anyone else has read them, and if so, what were your thoughts or reviews. The series is:
The Drake Chronicles Collection Set  Blood Feud, Out for Blood, My Love Lies Bleeding, Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey
Thoughts?
~Kristine

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonalcala) | 3 comments I actually haven't heard of this series until now. So I read the synopsis of the first book and it's quite interesting, I guess! xx

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) It took me a bit to get into the series I'll admit. But I'm not one to judge a book by the cover and if I start a book I always give it the benefit of the doubt and finish it. This series did not take me long at all to get hooked. I have found it hard to put the books down. I would recommend them if you are one of those readers who love to read vampire books. :) Worth a try anyways.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel I haven't heard of this series, but I'm always finding new vampire books intriguing. I guess it depends on the author too. I've said in so many posts before, I'm a Vampire Academy NERD!! Along with the new series that is a spin off: Bloodlines
At any rate, I've also read the Morganville Vampires, attempted to read vampire diaries. And of course, Twilight. Though so far, VA is my favorite.
I'm in the midst of starting a new series called the Black Dagger Brotherhood. The first book, Dark Lover, is hard for me to get into. But I really like the take the author has on Vampires as a society all on their own.

message 5: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) I haven't had a chance to read the Vampire Academy books yet. From what I hear, the first book is hard to get into but the rest of the books have great reviews and ratings. I haven't heard of the Black Dagger Brotherhood either, I'll have to look into it for sure. I would recommend the books that I am currently reading, The Drake Chronicles. They are pretty well written, full of laughter and tears. Great reads.
I think that the next books that I will be reading are:
Boys that Bite (Blood Coven, #1) by Mari Mancusi
It is another series about vampires and the main characters are twins. Check it out, sounds promising. Or have you read them already, and if so, thoughts?

message 6: by Ariel (new)

Ariel I haven't read any of those actually. More to look forward too!! Oh and be forewarned, the black dagger brotherhood isn't a YA novel. I didn't really have a hard time getting into VA. It locked me in from the beginning. But I could really relate to Rose and her characteristics. She's a lot like me, so maybe that's why. And Dimitri, mmm...lets just say, yumalicious! I've got four books right now that I'm in the process of reading. I've never been one that can read more than one at a time, so I'm having a hard time doing the April name challenge and the BOTM lol

message 7: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) I just add all the other books I'm interested in to the TBR list. I'll get to them, someday lol. Hmm, I like books that are not YA as well, so maybe I will have to take a look at those Black Dagger Brotherhood. :)

message 8: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla (Kismetkayla1431) has any body read
Thirst No. 1  The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) by Christopher Pike

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Mikayla wrote: "has any body read
Thirst No. 1  The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) by Christopher Pike"

YES!!! That is another series that I absolutely LOVED! Have you read it yet?

message 10: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Mikayla wrote: "has any body read
Thirst No. 1  The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) by Christopher Pike"

I haven't, looks like another book to add to the TBR file ;)

message 11: by Beatrice (last edited Apr 07, 2012 03:27AM) (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 300 comments I like House of Night series by P.C and Kristin Cast, one of my favorite series. the only thing I hate about it is to wait for the next book to come out, and it's way too long that for a long time I've waited, I tend to forget what happened to the previous book..
Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Betrayed (House of Night, #2) by P.C. Cast Chosen (House of Night, #3) by P.C. Cast Untamed (House of Night, #4) by P.C. Cast Hunted (House of Night, #5) by P.C. Cast Tempted (House of Night, #6) by P.C. Cast Burned (House of Night, #7) by P.C. Cast Awakened (House of Night, #8) by P.C. Cast Destined (House of Night, #9) by P.C. Cast

and Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead though the first book didn't impress me that much, thanks to the succeeding books. it gets better as you read the rest of the books.
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

message 12: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Beatrice wrote: "I like House of Night series by P.C and Kristin Cast, one of my favorite series. the only thing I hate about it is to wait for the next book to come out, and it's way too long that for a long tim..."

I have those series both on my TBR list. I thought they looked good. I'm glad to hear that you liked them so much. Makes me want to read them even more!

Ariel wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "has any body read

I haven't, looks like another book to add to the TBR file ;)"

Yes for sure! They are a GREAT series! Another one of those hard to put down books!

message 13: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 300 comments Yes indeed :) If you are going to read it.. Go for Vampire Academy first. :) then House of Night Series..

Another series from Vampire Academy:
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead(this will be out probably on June)

message 14: by AriaTheBookNerd, The Winter Princess (new)

AriaTheBookNerd (ariathenerd) | 708 comments Mod
The recent vampire novel that I adore was Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules! If you have read the Iron Fey series and loved it then you'll devour this book as well!

It has cool kickass heroine, super bad villains, amazing plot, handsome loveable hero. I mean really there is nothing more to ask for.

Ps: it doesnt have sparkly vampires.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina OW (ChristinaOW) | 32 comments i love vampire books. there is nothing more sexy than dangerous love. the twilight books are phenomenon but Ann Rice brings a whole new danger level to loving vampirers

message 16: by AriaTheBookNerd, The Winter Princess (new)

AriaTheBookNerd (ariathenerd) | 708 comments Mod
ChristinaOW wrote: "i love vampire books. there is nothing more sexy than dangerous love. the twilight books are phenomenon but Ann Rice brings a whole new danger level to loving vampirers"

Immortal Rules has the same concept as Anne Rice's vamps. I highly recommend it if you want kickass vamps!

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina OW (ChristinaOW) | 32 comments Sandee wrote: "Immortal Rules has the same concept as Anne Rice's vamps. I highly recommend it if you want kickass vamps!"

thanks, I'll check it out

message 18: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) ChristinaOW wrote: "i love vampire books. there is nothing more sexy than dangerous love. the twilight books are phenomenon but Ann Rice brings a whole new danger level to loving vampirers"

I have to agree with your comment about nothing being as sexy as dangerous love. I think that is what keeps me coming back to the vampire novels every time. Just to hawt not to. (:

Sandee (loves Ash Tallyn) wrote: "The recent vampire novel that I adore was Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules! If you have read the Iron Fey series and loved it then you'll devour this book as well!

It has cool k..."

I have added it to my famous TBR list. It looks really promising! Can't wait to dive in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Beatrice wrote: "Yes indeed :) If you are going to read it.. Go for Vampire Academy first. :) then House of Night Series..

Another series from Vampire Academy:
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead[bookcover:The Golden L..."

Yes, I will definitely read the VA books first. I have a huge list of TBR books though, so I'm not sure when I will get to them lol.

message 19: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Ok, so I just finished the fourth book of the Drake Chronicles. The fifth book is not out until June. And OMG the fourth book ended with quite the hook!
Definite must read for you vampire lovers out there ;)

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments My new favorites are the Blood Like Poison series. I'm on the last one now and I really hate that it wasn't a longer series. I think Vampire Academy is going to be my next vamp series. I haven't read any of them but I keep seeing great reviews for them. For the adults out there the absolute best vampire series is the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. But be warned those books are hot! Thanks to Kristine for the update on the Drake Chronicles...I'll have to check them out. My tbr list is getting out of hand!

message 21: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Sharon wrote: "My new favorites are the Blood Like Poison series. I'm on the last one now and I really hate that it wasn't a longer series. I think Vampire Academy is going to be my next vamp series. I haven't re..."

Haha! Your TBR list! Mine is over 30 books long LOL. I don't need to add any more till the end of summer haha!
So the Black Dagger Brotherhood eh? I can make an exception for hot! I'll go add that to the TBR list right away...
*runs to put the book on her list*

message 22: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Hey! You didn't tell me it was 11 books long!! LOL! I have over 50 books on the TBR list now. Whoopsie!

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Kristine wrote: "Hey! You didn't tell me it was 11 books long!! LOL! I have over 50 books on the TBR list now. Whoopsie!"

I think I read the first five in like two weeks. They are seriously addictive!

message 24: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) I'm definitely going to try them. ;)

message 25: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Well, I just bought the first four books of the series for my kobo. Now I have no excuse for not reading them soon ;)

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Kristine wrote: "Well, I just bought the first four books of the series for my kobo. Now I have no excuse for not reading them soon ;)"

Let me know what you think! And by the way my tbr list is 134 books long...sigh I wish I could retire and just read all day.

message 27: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) LoL. I'm still trying to set up my career and I already wish I could retire and just read my life away ;)

message 28: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe I have been working working working lately and haven't had much time to read. But that is all about to come to an end and I want a GREAT vampire book to start off my summer reading. I figure if anyone could give me a recommendation this would be the group. Here's the thing though. I love vampires. I really do, but I like the dark gothic vampires more than the sparkly moe vampire. (I like them too, just not as much.) And I would like the protagonist to be over 20, i.e. not in high school.

Any suggestions?

I've taken note of the books on display above by the way and will be checking them out.

message 29: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) From what I've seen in this topic so far, The Black Dagger Brotherhood seems like it would fit. I haven't read them yet. I just bought the first four for my kobo. But I'm sure some other members will come along and fill your TBR shelf with vampire novels to read that suit you ;)

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Sadie, Kristine is right on about BDB! I've read them all and they are awesome...but strictly for adults. Lots of language and sex in these books....LOTS. If you don't mind that you should REALLY try them out.

message 31: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 44 comments Sadie, you should check out Halfway to the Grave. It's the first book of the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. It's also an adult book. It's one of my all-time favourite series'.

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Halfway to the Grave is on my tbr list...I hear great things about that author.

message 33: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Oooh, I will have to look into that one too. (: My TBR list is dying though lol. I don't know if I'll ever get through all the books on it...

Lucy *Qhuay's shellan* You should all read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2) by Beth Fantaskey

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire fave vamp series:
The Vampire Diaries
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. Smith The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4) by L.J. Smith Nightfall (The Vampire Diaries  The Return, #1) by L.J. Smith Shadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries  The Return, #2) by L.J. Smith Midnight (The Vampire Diaries  The Return, #3) by L.J. Smith

message 36: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Joanne wrote: "fave vamp series:
The Vampire Diaries
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. SmithThe Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4) by L.J. SmithNightfall by Isaac AsimovShadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries  The Return, #2) by L.J. SmithMidnight Sun (Twilight, #1.5) by Stephenie Meyer"

I fell in love with the vampire diaries as a show and when I went to read the books, I could just not get into them. They were SO different from the show. I couldn't keep reading.

I would like to try Stephans Diaries though. Just to see the back story of the show. (:

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Davies (debbie16) | 35 comments I read the first two stefan's diaries but couldnt really get into them but im a more a damon fan :)

i need to read the trueblood novels!

message 38: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Debbie wrote: "I read the first two stefan's diaries but couldnt really get into them but im a more a damon fan :)

i need to read the trueblood novels!"

Those are a series I'd like to read as well ;)

message 39: by 'SYM (new)

'SYM (TheSYM) Vampire academy and morganville vampires

message 40: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) The Vampire Accademy is on my TBR list, but I haven't checked out the Morganville Vampires yet...

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments I just finished To Kill an Angel (Blood Like Poison, #3) by M. Leighton last night. I know I recommend these books alot but I'm telling you they are awesome!!!!

message 42: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 300 comments Joanne wrote: "fave vamp series:
The Vampire Diaries
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. SmithThe Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4) by L.J. SmithNightfall by Isaac AsimovShadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries  The Return, #2) by L.J. SmithMidnight Sun (Twilight, #1.5) by Stephenie Meyer"

I'm on Shadow Souls.. I forgot what happened on the previous book xD

message 43: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) Those look good. (: I'm currently reading:
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward
So far so good ;)

message 44: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe Kristine wrote: "Those look good. (: I'm currently reading:
So far so good ;)"

It's on my TBR list. A lot of people have recommended it.

message 45: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) That's how I found it ;) I'll be sure to post a review when I'm finished :D

message 46: by Arrictine (new)

Arrictine Reads (ArrictineReads) | 5 comments Damn, I love the Mortal Instruments series. I'm a 16 year old dude, and, The Series brings out the fun, anger, excitement, love in life. It just rocks so much.

message 47: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Kristine wrote: "Those look good. (: I'm currently reading:
So far so good ;)"

I'm having a hard time getting into it. I am almost half way through Dark Lover and I just can't seem to pick it up again. I keep finding other books to read lol. I guess I just need to finish it, because I did the same thing with Divergent and ended up LOVING it lol.

message 48: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 13 comments Has anyone read Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy, #1) by Nicole  Williams? I got it free on my Kindle so I'll probably start it at lunch today. Just wondering if it's supposed to be good.

message 49: by Michelle (last edited Apr 23, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

Michelle Mcroberts | 104 comments I just read Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray Stargazer (Evernight, #2) by Claudia Gray Hourglass (Evernight, #3) by Claudia Gray Afterlife (Evernight, #4) by Claudia Gray

...and I am not typically a vampire lover - Well not the current incarnation of vampires in literature anyway. My favorite vampire is still Spike from Buffy/Angel - and truly this is my favorite view of the vampire realms. Having said that though, I will admit I finally read Twilight (something I had resisted vehemently for years - but as a teacher I figure I should keep in touch with what's "in") and it wasn't terrible :). I like Stephanie Meyer's writing style and although I prefer her aliens to her vampires (sorry Twihards), I was not a fan of Bella as the heroine (more comments about that in the Twilight forum).

Back to the topic of the Evernight series...I liked it. It drew me in although I nearly burned all of the library's books (which would have been very bad-and expensive) after reading the third book, but book 4 really did salvage the storyline. There is also a companion book she put out taking one of the characters from this series off in his own direction...and talk about your hot, brooding vampires...Balthazar...hmmmmm

message 50: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (TheSchwartzReviews) I'm about half way through Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward and am in LOVE with this series already...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Alyxandra Harvey Collection (other topics)
Bloodlines (other topics)
Vampire Academy (other topics)
Boys that Bite (other topics)
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (other topics)
More...