Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

A Brownstone in Brooklyn
This topic is about A Brownstone in Brooklyn
III. Goodreads Readers > Please Respond to a quote from A Brownstone in Brookklyn

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julius Thompson (JuliusJEThompson) | 23 comments I was asked to choose a quote from my first novel, A Brownstone in Brooklyn, to reflect on the unpredictable nature of life. How things are never the same and human beings have to adjust to life's changing events.

A Brownstone in Brooklyn is about growing up in the turbulent sixties, one of the most event filled decades in Black-American history.

A Brownstone in Brooklyn chronciles the life-altering events that shape the future of Andy Michael Pilgrim, a young man growing up in the turbulent sixties. This is a quote from Sister Love, a character sitting on the B-52 bus riding to her job at the A&S Department Store in downtown Brookyn. She's watching some young kids playing in the the water squirting from a fire hydrant.

What do you think? What is your reaction to this quote?

"The most special times in a person's life are not meant to last forever. They're like bubbles from a plastic ring dipped into a soapy solution. The soap bubbles rise, with the sun flashing brillant colors, then burts into a showery memory mist."

---Julius Thompson, A Brownstone in Brooklyn

Please leave a response or email your response: juliusthompson@purplephantoms.com

message 2: by L. (last edited Apr 05, 2012 08:22PM) (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) Julius,
I think the quote is supplying the point you were asked to highlight. It is a clear perspective for accepting mutability as an indisputable quality of life. Creation, existence and loss all wrapped up in three lines.
Elldee

Julius Thompson (JuliusJEThompson) | 23 comments Thank you so very much!...Julius

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Knight | 112 comments To me, the quote verifies the truth of life in that the special moments/times are few and fleeting. It reminds us to cherish each and every one of them while we can. We should also hold the memories in our minds and hearts to remember and reflect upon when life is most difficult.

unread topics | mark unread