CBC Books discussion

Friday Reads > Friday Reads for April 6th, 2012

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

VWrulesChick | 1788 comments Wishing you all a Good Friday and Happy Easter to you and your families this weekend! I know most have tomorrow off (and some lucky enough to have Monday off, too) and may be travelling to go see family this holiday weekend.

Will you have time to read this weekend? What will you be reading?

I did not pick a book for the past week, but did get a copy of The Summer Tree (The Fionavar Tapestry, #1) by Guy Gavriel Kay and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón from my library and hope to start reading these this weekend.

Happy Easter!!

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 05, 2012 07:29PM) (new)

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 2108 comments I am hoping to read Anne Tyler's new novel, The Beginner's Goodbye that a friend just gave me (so excited!!). But, I have to finish a review and read The Uninvited Guests and get that review going too. (Totally not complaining, please don't think I am. I just really want to get to the Tyler and I have decided it will be my reward for finishing the two projects.)

Total aside: can I ask why many of you use the book covers in your posts, rather than the title?? I have never gotten used to that method because, even though the covers are nice to look at, it's easier to read the title than try and make out the cover (if it's not clear or obvious), or hover over the image to get the title. yes, I am lazy, I don't like to click through if I don't have to! hahaha!!!)

I hope you don't mind me asking?? I have been wondering for months!!

Happy Easter and Passover to those celebrating this weekend.

Laima | 30 comments VWrulesChick wrote: "Wishing you all a Good Friday and Happy Easter to you and your families this weekend! I know most have tomorrow off (and some lucky enough to have Monday off, too) and may be travelling to go see f..."

As soon as Amazon delivers to my front doorstep I will begin reading The Summer Tree - Happy Easter everyone!!!

Susan | 11 comments I’ve started reading The Sisters Brothers The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt by Patrick deWitt, much to my surprise, as an ‘old time Western’ is not normally something I’d crack open. But a third of the way into it I’ve taken all the gunned down bodies in stride and smile at deWitt’s handling of character through great dialogue.

Petra | 381 comments Jennifer, I'm so glad you asked. The trend is really wide-spread. I prefer titles, rather than covers, being displayed. It's easier to read.
This week I finished reading Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain, which was utterly fascinating. I never knew that reading is not a natural process for our brains or how many areas of our brains are involved in the "simple" process of reading.
I started The Long March Home, which looks like its going to be a very good book. The beginning is all about Communist China and the fear & isolation that the people feel. It's horrible how much this regime affected ordinary, innocent people.

Valerie | 26 comments I just finished reading The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and quite enjoyed it. Now I can see the movie guilt free.

Kelly | 193 comments I read
The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre (3.5 stars) and The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars) this week. They were my vacation books and the kids took over my Vox so I couldn't finish De Niro's Game by Rawi Hage although I snuck in a few pages here and there.

There was absolutely pitiful selection at the Anaheim airport so picked up the paperback version of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson for the flight home - read it before, loved it, enjoying it just as much again!

This weekend I hope to start City of Glass and perhaps The Fionavar Tapestry if luck is with me!

Valerie | 26 comments I am reading Before I Go to Sleep for book group. I have been looking forward to this read for a while now.

Julie (brontesister) | 67 comments Valerie wrote: "I am reading Before I Go to Sleep for book group. I have been looking forward to this read for a while now."

Oh, I really want to read that one! Hope you like it.

Friederike Knabe (fknabesympaticoca) | 77 comments I finished Peter Hobbs's In the Orchard, the Swallows. It is beautiful! Sad, haunting but always beautiful and tender.

Petra | 381 comments I finished The Long March Home yesterday. I couldn't put it down. The story is a touching, warm look at how a family was affected by the Communist regime and the power of family in terms of staying together against all odds. This book read like a journal of sorts. It was full of memories and stories, as well as the story of Yezi and her family. It was a relaxing, enjoyable book.

Diane | 15 comments Valerie wrote: "I am reading Before I Go to Sleep for book group. I have been looking forward to this read for a while now."

loved this book-real page turner!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shadow of the Wind (other topics)
The Summer Tree (other topics)
The Beginner's Goodbye (other topics)
The Uninvited Guests (other topics)
The Sisters Brothers (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick deWitt (other topics)