Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussion & Recommendation > ARTICLE: "The Dismissal and Power of Paranormal Romance" over @ SF Signal

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 47 comments This is an interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa Folgar (Lunarmouse) | 4 comments That was super interesting. I know I personally don't like the term chick lit. You don't hear Shakespeare called Old White Man Lit. It's sad how that although love and romance are a huge part of life for people, writting about it is not "serious" writting.... Thanks for the link!

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (Masquerader888) | 22 comments As chicken and the egg scenario--this genre also adds to its negative reputation when those who read it are, themselves, embarrassed to acknowledge they enjoy this kind of fiction. One of the reasons I feel that book-clubs like this are a major positive influence; allowing those of us who enjoy a socially trivialized reading genre to both acknowledge and embrace our tastes.

message 5: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 7 comments I concur. On a broader note has anyone noticed that most of the great classics are genre fiction. Jane Austen wrote romances, as did the Brontes, Elizabeth Gaskell, and Gustave Flaubert. Hell, Shakespeare was doing the equivalent of television writing for his day (I mean that in the best possible way).

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (uberbookworm) | 11 comments Great article! Now I want to read the books that are mentioned in it :) I am such a book worm. I especially found the comments about how the group that was formerly scoffed at for reading Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the ones doing the scoffing at Paranormal Romance. This tweaks my inner social scientist, but on a larger scale maybe we can make it o.k. to read these type of books by just not discouraging others. (Like I need to say that here, what am I thinking?!)

We like Vaginal Fantasy, here us roar?

unread topics | mark unread