SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > 2009 forthcoming books to recommend

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nick (ndoerrabbott) | 55 comments 2009 has some new titles queued for publication that should be of interest to the entire group. Will start this topic with the following recommendations, that are due for publication in the next three months:

Drood: A Novel, by Dan Simmons. Not SF, but any Simmons fan out there from Hypernion and his other SF titles might want to check this out. Its a 'horror' novel, around the final years of Charles Dickens.

Escape from Hell, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. 30 years ago, this team wrote their first novel collaboration, Inferno, based loosely on Dantes Inferno. This is a sequel. I'm REALLY hopeful this sequel is the same caliber as Inferno.

Steal Across the Sky, by Nancy Kress. The subject matter, and pre-reviews of this novel gives it the potential as being at the caliber of Beggars In Spain. It's great so see new titles from Kress coming out again.

Brooke Oh crap, like my TBR list really needs MORE titles.

:)

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/ is chock full of upcoming recommendations, and is partly responsible for my massive TBR list. It's also a huge time-suck.

message 3: by Jon (last edited Dec 18, 2008 03:48PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments The one I'm waited for very impatiently:

The Wise Man's Fear

April 2009!

Terence (Spocksbro) | 96 comments I'm with Brooke on this one: "Oh, crap" :-)

The LOCUS online site has a list of books up through September (the last time I looked). Some that I'm looking forward to include:

The Judging Eye, R. Scott Bakker
Regenesis, C.J. Cherryh
A Is for Alien and The Red Tree, Caitlin Kiernan
The Six Directions of Space and House of Suns, Alastair Reynolds (hopefully he can redeem himself for Pushing Ice)
The Revolution Business, Charles Stross
Cheek by Jowl: Essays, Ursula Le Guin
Naamah's Kiss, Jacqueline Carey
Dust of Dreams, Steven Erikson
Shadowrise, Tad Williams

Ubik | 42 comments Im also looking forward to Steal Across The Sky and also:

C by Tom McCarthy
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk
The Dead Man's Brother by Roger Zelazny (It was written in 1971 but only being published in '09)

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Dec 30, 2008 07:24PM) (new)

Danielle (queentess) I caught Sue Burke's short story "Spiders" in an Asimov's this year. I've been waiting for the full-blown novel, but doesn't look like it's coming out in '09 either :(

It's set in the same world as her short story "Transplants"

Jim (JimMacLachlan) S.A. Rule has the second book in the Shaihen Heritage trilogy coming out in Jan 2009. She's a GR author. I read the first one, Shaihen Heritage: Book 1: Cloak of Magic & really liked it.

Kimberly (Kamrie) | 8 comments I am in the midst of reading book 1 the Cloak of Magic by S.A. Rule and so far I am really enjoying it.

Kimberly (Kamrie) | 8 comments I am also looking forward to reading the Gysp Morp by Terry Brooks too

Christopher | 41 comments I know this will make all the Dresden haters cringe, but for me the one I'm just itching to read is Turn Coat by Jim Butcher.

The Dresden Files series is like literary crack for me :) I blow through the books as soon as they come out and am left immediately wanting more :)

Sandi (Sandikal) Shades of Grey: A Novel by Jasper Fforde is set to be release in July. It looks like it's a bit more genre than the Thursday Next series.

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan is due to be released in the U.S. in January. I can't wait.

message 12: by Danielle (last edited Jan 02, 2009 03:48PM) (new)

Danielle (queentess) I just found out that The High Castle, sequel to Scalzi's The Android's Dream is coming out in 2009. Yay!

Sandi (Sandikal) Danielle wrote: "I just found out that The High Castle, sequel to Scalzi's [b:The Android's Dream|7081|The Android's Dream|John Scalz..."

I loved that book; it was so darned funny. I'm glad he's doing a sequel.

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 58 comments For fantasy, I'm looking forward to wrapping up the Wheel of Time with book 12 A Memory Of Light. Finished with the help of Brandon Sanderson it's due out late 09, as of current progress.

message 15: by Nick (last edited Jan 03, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Nick (ndoerrabbott) | 55 comments Jerrod wrote: "For fantasy, I'm looking forward to wrapping up the Wheel of Time with book 12 A Memory Of Light. Finished with the help of Brandon Sanderson it's due out late 09, as of current progress."

Robert Jordan a) is about to be Knighted in the UK, b) has a cover interview coming up in the next issue of Locus.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Nick wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "For fantasy, I'm looking forward to wrapping up the Wheel of Time with book 12 A Memory Of Light. Finished with the help of Brandon Sanderson it's due out late 09, as of current pro..."

How is that possible? He's been dead a year or two now?

Nick (ndoerrabbott) | 55 comments shoot....author dyslexia...sorry. I was thinking Terry Pratchett

Deanna | 30 comments Christopher wrote: "I know this will make all the Dresden haters cringe, but for me the one I'm just itching to read is [b:Turn Coat|3697356|Turn Coat|Jim Butcher|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1219......" I too am a HUGE Harry Dresden Fan! I beleve Turncoat is being released in April 2009...can't wait!

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Hopefully this is a 2009 recommendation, a new set of books of Roger Zelazny's collected works, including some that are rare & unpublished.
http://www.nesfa.org/press/Books/Zela...
I emailed the sales contact list to ask them to contact me when they were taking orders, but the email got bounced. Does anyone else know anything about it?

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments I have two books I'm looking forward to seeing in print in 2009.

- The Next in the Name of the Wind Series
- Avempartha: Book Two of Riyria Revelations

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 91 comments I'm looking forward to a new one from Robert J. Sawyer:

WWW: Wake (Www)
due out in April '09 in hardcover

Danielle (queentess) Jon wrote: "How is that possible? He's been dead a year or two now?"

Apparently Jordan left extremely good notes, which were organized by his widow, and Sanderson was tapped to finish it.

Here's the blurb on it
http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memo...

Jane (jane_jones) | 37 comments I'm looking forward to: Avempartha already have it pre-ordered!!

Greyweather | 225 comments I'm looking forward to:

Palimpsest by Catherynne Valente
The City & The City by China Mieville
The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham

message 25: by Jerrod (last edited Jan 07, 2009 07:08AM) (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 58 comments Jon;

RJ's death was expected and for many fans of WoT who followed the drama on www.dragonmount.com we knew that RJ left extremely detailed notes [over the course of about a year:] for ending the series. He also told his family [especially his cousin:] the ending and key points of the novel that he didn't want changed. I'm looking forward to finally putting to rest the WoT series.

Shortly after his death, Harriet [RJ's Editor and Wife:] commissioned Brandon Sanderson to finish the novel based on all of RJ's notes. Visit Brandon Sanderson's site for current progress on the final book.

I hope GRRM is making good notes, cause if he drags his feet anymore, I swear someone will kill him.

Lori (Hellian) It's been so long for GRRM, I've forgotten all the previous stuff. If Dance for Dragons isn't the last one, and I don't think it is, then I won't read it, I'll wait til the last one is out, and then skim the first ones before digging into the last 2.

Maggie Lori wrote: "It's been so long for GRRM, I've forgotten all the previous stuff. If Dance for Dragons isn't the last one, and I don't think it is, then I won't read it, I'll wait til the last one is out, and the..."

There are supposed to be a total of seven books in the series. Since it takes him fives years between each book it might be finished in ten years. Which is a shame, because I love the series.

message 28: by Leslie Ann (last edited Jan 08, 2009 03:47PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 179 comments I'm looking forward to the publication of my second novel Griffin's Shadow on Feb.27th. It is the sequel to Griffin's Daughter.

Sandi (Sandikal) Leslie wrote: "I'm looking forward to the publication of my second novel Griffin's Shadow on Feb.27th. It is the sequel to [b:Griffin's Daughter|1362888|Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy)|Leslie Ann ..."

Me too.

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 58 comments Also look forward to finishing up the current deepgate codex story with Alan Campbell's God of Clocks due out in April 09. It's a great little trilogy and worth a read.

Sarah | 205 comments I'm hoping the new Connie Willis novel makes it out this year.

message 32: by Robin (last edited Jan 10, 2009 07:02AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Leslie wrote: "I'm looking forward to the publication of my second novel Griffin's Shadow on Feb.27th. ..."

I'm reading your book 1 now Leslie - so far so good...Your second beats Michael's by 1 month ;-)

-- Wife of fantasy author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy| Avempartha (04/09)