The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Favourite SciFi French author ?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emmanuel Parfond (FrenchDude) | 42 comments I really enjoy re-reading Pierre Boulle's Planet of the apes; and was wondering if there are other French authors popular among the english-speaking crowd ?

Charles | 248 comments For me I like Aliette de Bodard short fiction and Sebastien Doubinsky.

Tassie Dave | 506 comments Jules Verne, the man who helped to define the Sci-Fi genre.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 676 comments I can't say I've read a lot of French sci-fi authors other than Verne. But years ago I read an English translation of I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman. I found it a really good example of that small subset of post-apocalyptic science fiction that isn't trying to be a warning or a diatribe or a thriller, but just an examination of isolation without explanation. I'd slot it with books like The Road or Empty World , although different in that a) the main character is female, and b) has almost no recollection of the way things used to be.

A depressing read, to be sure, but a good one.

Maryse Coziol | 1 comments Elisabeth Vonarburg is pretty well known in some circles and has some great novels of science fiction and fantasy that have been translated in English. I really loved "In the Mothers' Land", which won a Philip K. Dick Award in 1992. I think it's better in French though, but I'm glad it got some recognition in the US ;)

Tamahome | 4360 comments io9 just had something about a french scifi pioneer: http://io9.com/5899412/a-science-fict...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I Who Have Never Known Men (other topics)
Empty World (other topics)
The Road (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Harpman (other topics)