Addicted to YA discussion

Matched (Matched, #1)
This topic is about Matched
Recommendations > Advice

Comments (showing 1-17)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Ela | 791 comments oh...well I guess they do both have a knife in :)

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 504 comments I actually only meant the knife bit being essential to the story but thank you everyone...

Ela | 791 comments I agree Knife of Never letting Go is a great book, gripping and original. People must read it! I don't really think it's like His Dark Materials at all.

message 14: by Anna (last edited Apr 22, 2012 05:02AM) (new)

Anna | 336 comments Perfection wrote: "Hmmm okay that's next up then. The Knife of Never Letting Go. Sounds a lot like The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman
But ok.
This is another question, has anybody here read Darkly Dreaming Dexter?"

I love 'The Subtle Knife' but they're not really similar. I don't want to give away the beginning of 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' I was hooked in the first 50 or so pages and don't want to spoil it. 'The Subtle Knife' is more fantasy: 'TKONLG' is more dystopian and an older read. Patrick Ness is doing a US tour. Check him out -h e is a great speaker. http://www.patrickness.com/ LA Times Book Festival

message 13: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4564 comments Mod
Erika wrote: "Perfection wrote: "Well....Seems like it is just hype surrounding the book. Hmmm...Ok so Delirium v/s Divergent. Lets have a poll!!"

Divergent!"

I say Divergent also

Katie Madsen (dsrt16) | 11 comments Anna wrote: "If you are looking for good dystopian novels try The Chaos Walking Trilogy: I have the feeling it hasn't really hit the US yet. It won the Carnegie Medal over here last year for the final book and every teenager I have handed it to has loved it and wanted it to win. The first book is The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness. "

Anna, I had purchased the Chaos Walking series, but it was lost after one student read it. Thanks for reminding me to purchase it, read it, and start recommending it!

message 11: by Erika, Superwholock (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika (teamfreewill) | 3839 comments Mod
Perfection wrote: "Well....Seems like it is just hype surrounding the book. Hmmm...Ok so Delirium v/s Divergent. Lets have a poll!!"

Divergent!

Kristina | 123 comments I'm hoping these posts are wrong. I got this book at a great price and should get to it soon. I do like dystopian fiction so I hope that helps. I won't expect much and hopefully I will have a nice surprise when I'm done reading it.
I have heard great things about the Chaos Walking Trilogy as well and was fortunate to pick those up on my kindle for .99 each. :)

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 504 comments Hmmm okay that's next up then. The Knife of Never Letting Go. Sounds a lot like The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman
But ok.
This is another question, has anybody here read Darkly Dreaming Dexter?

message 8: by Anna (last edited Apr 04, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

Anna | 336 comments Katie wrote: "Bethany, you gave it 4 stars though, which doesn't match your post here? I just got this book from the library. I stumbled across it when trying to find books similar to Hunger Games to appease m..."

If you are looking for good dystopian novels try The Chaos Walking Trilogy: I have the feeling it hasn't really hit the US yet. It won the Carnegie Medal over here last year for the final book and every teenager I have handed it to has loved it and wanted it to win. The first book is The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness.
(Moira Young - Blood Red Road was also recommended to me it's her debut novel but I've not read it yet)

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 504 comments Well....Seems like it is just hype surrounding the book. Hmmm...Ok so Delirium v/s Divergent. Lets have a poll!!

Bethany Wiggins | 15 comments Katie, Matched is good in the fact that the writing is good, it is clean, the characters are likable, and it is engaging. It just really lacked that edge that makes books like Divergent and the Hunger Games un-put-down-able. It was more of a 3.5 stars for me, but I gave it four for the reasons listed above. Delirium is similar in pacing/plot to Matched, but has some teenager sex and is a little more violent. Divergent is absolutely FANTASTIC! I haven't read Pure. I hope that helps!

Katie Madsen (dsrt16) | 11 comments Bethany, you gave it 4 stars though, which doesn't match your post here? I just got this book from the library. I stumbled across it when trying to find books similar to Hunger Games to appease my students who cry for similar books. I am reading them all, so I can make informed suggestions. The books on my list for potentially similar and equally enthralling reads: Matched, Divergent, Pure, and Delirium. But reading this, the consensus seems to be that Matched isn't very good..... :(

Bethany Wiggins | 15 comments I was waiting for it to get good the whole time . . . I just knew that it was going to pick up any minute! So I read, read, read it, and then the book ended and it still hadn't gotten really good yet. It was all right, but I don't think I'll try book two.

message 3: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4564 comments Mod
It was all right. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. If you're looking for something to read but don't have anything else, you should try it. --but if you have lots of other things to read, I'd suggest choosing something better.

message 2: by Erika, Superwholock (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika (teamfreewill) | 3839 comments Mod
I thought the first book was ok but I wasn't a fan of Crossed. I'm not a big fan of Cassia so that might be why I didn't like Crossed. But if you like poetry and dystopian then you'd like this.

message 1: by Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* (last edited Apr 03, 2012 10:25AM) (new)

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 504 comments Sooo... Should I read this? I always finish series' I start[its a neurosis], but is the series as good as the hype?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Subtle Knife (other topics)
The Subtle Knife (other topics)