Medieval Crime discussion

Writing Chats > Getting into ePub

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Jecks (MichaelJecks) | 89 comments Mod
This is a nightmare. The thought of having to design a cover page, check the stories, how to get the damn things copyedited and so on (not to mention finding an ISBN) drive me to distraction. Still, I have a collection of short stories which should be available, so I'm putting them all together in order to publish ... and starting to research the things I need.

When that's done, I have a good thriller to publish too. So this is a toe in the water before the biggie.

message 2: by David (last edited Apr 03, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

David Pilling (RobeH) | 24 comments Michael, is this self-(e)publishing? There are a fair few epublishers who help with the covers and editing, just like traditional publishers.

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 35 comments My mother did hers through Xlibris - they did everything, including pretty good cover art. I know they got bought out awhile ago. I'm not sure how they stack up to others.

message 4: by Michael (new)

It's a book of short stories I've written over the years, David. Other books I'm going to put out through epublishers, but this collection wouldn't interest them!

message 5: by David (new)

David Pilling (RobeH) | 24 comments Ah, right.

message 6: by Michael (new)

As a concept, though, it's hard to get a grip on things, I'm finding. Do I go Smashwords, in which case apparently there's no DRM protection, or head to Kindle direct, for the added security - but miss out on Apple readers? The options are too flaming numerous!

message 7: by David (new)

David Pilling (RobeH) | 24 comments I've been experimenting with Kindle Direct myself - the monthly free promo option is interesting. Amazing how many freebies one can sell in a couple of days!

message 8: by Michael (new)

So, have you gone Smashwords as well to get Apple, or are you on Kindle only? I have to admit, I'm confused as hell over the whole damn process!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Stacey wrote: "My mother did hers through Xlibris - they did everything, including pretty good cover art. I know they got bought out awhile ago. I'm not sure how they stack up to others."

Sorry, Stacey - with kids off school this week I've been getting way behind with work and this message board!

I'll have a look at Xlibris. Not one I know (but I know so little about all the ebook firms it's hardly surprising!). Just a minefield out there!

message 10: by David (new)

David Pilling (RobeH) | 24 comments I haven't investigated Smashwords yet, just Amazon and Kindle Direct - have you checked out Duotrope's Digest? There's listing of epublishers on there.

message 11: by Michael (new)

No, haven't heard of that. Will go and have a look. Many thanks.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Found some links about e-publishing. Might be interesting read:

http://reviews.cnet.com/how-to-self-p...
http://reviews.cnet.com/self-publishing/

message 13: by Michael (new)

Thanks, Joseph. I'll take a look at them. Confusion still reigns for now!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael: The Crime through Time Yahoo group has some interesting and varied things to say about using the Amazon programs, from time to time. Might be worth joining the group and listening in. I'm sure you'd be very welcome there! :) I believe Margaret Frazer went through what you're going through in that regard---

message 15: by Michael (new)

Hel wrote: "Michael: The Crime through Time Yahoo group has some interesting and varied things to say about using the Amazon programs, from time to time. Might be worth joining the group and listening in. I..."

Thanks, Hel - will go and take a squint at them now!

unread topics | mark unread