The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Ice Breakers > Novel Hunting ~ What To Look For

Comments (showing 1-50 of 187) (187 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4514 comments Mod
Just to gain a brief idea about out reading interests and the genres I can pick from for group readings and challenges! Genres, authors, examples of books, etc. When you walk into a bookstore and spend over an hour staring at the shelves (yes, you know you do it too!) and the lady at the front desk has to eventually ask you to leave because you are scaring the customers, what is it you are looking for?

Romance, mystery, strong female protagonists, good-looking guy character, chivalry, kick-ass action - this is your chance to help me pick the perfect read for you!

Ebony (4Ebony) | 26 comments Non-stop fighting, a sprinkle of romance, heart-racing suspense, clever comendy, and a massive twist. :D

message 3: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Ebony wrote: "Non-stop fighting, a sprinkle of romance, heart-racing suspense, clever comendy, and a massive twist. :D"

Sounds perfect!

message 4: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Isabelle (Potterwholockian) | 1409 comments Mod
i look for action, mystery, suspense and in some cases romance.

And Comedy like in Skulduggery Pleasant. LOLZ (i'll buy you a stick for christmas)

NOTE: only people who have read the S.P series will understand that.

message 5: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Isabelle wrote: "i look for action, mystery, suspense and in some cases romance.

And Comedy like in Skulduggery Pleasant. LOLZ (i'll buy you a stick for christmas)

NOTE: only people who have read the S.P series ..."

I love that quote! My other fave quote is:
"I saved his life"
"Oh! So he's your boyfriend out of gratitude!"

I'm an S.P lover, what can I say!

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Depends on the cover of the book! I know sounds crazy, but I expect certain things by having a look of the cover. ;)

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Rimpy wrote: "Depends on the cover of the book! I know sounds crazy, but I expect certain things by having a look of the cover. ;)"

It doesn't sound crazy at all - I do it all the time!

Abby (i3cats) | 41 comments i look at the ratings for it and at the cover and title and the back of the book. if it gets good ratings has a good title and the story sounds good , i normally love it.

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Hehe..:D Great! So what do you expect from a book Booknut?

message 10: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Rimpy wrote: "Hehe..:D Great! So what do you expect from a book Booknut?"

I look for books that have characters that interest me. I will NOT sit through a book where the character doesn't undergo any growth (emotional, mentally) or where the character is your typical stereotype. Though there may be exceptions, I really dislike how when reading some books you KNOW what's going to happen.

I look at: 1.) the cover 2.) the blurb and 3.) open up to a random page (not the end!) and read the writing style. I also read the prologue/beginning bit. If I get bored, odds are I won't keep reading. But as I said, sometimes I give the book a chance if I have a feeling it could get better!:D

Lucinda | 1856 comments Dear all,
There are many things that one looks for in a book but it can be the front cover that gets ones attention firstly and even though i do abide by the rule 'do not judge a book by its cover', i do think that to some extent we do naturally anyway. I then have to read the blurb and judge for myself whether it is something that would be of interest and that i would enjoy reading, before i take it off the bookshelf.
Things that i would take into concideration later would be the genre and the author, although if i do love an author (say JRR tolkien) then i would certainly take more notice! I go on my judgement (that is not always correct) as to whether i buy a book or not.
Lucinda Xx

Lucinda | 1856 comments Also, a story that has a fast paced gripping storyline and one that is not 'slow' which takes chapters to get into. Something that hooks me immediately & the pace and momentum do not slow down. Xx

Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ (Ruealwaysa1directioner) | 104 comments The book must be interesting. Have suspense. A little bit of romance. (though, I would love one with a lot of romance!!) and the storyline has to grip me.

Lucinda | 1856 comments Dear Rue,
I would have to completely agree & thinking of such a book that includes all of the above i would have to say the lord of the rings; love- Aragorn & Arwen, Suspense- tons of it, Interesting & facinating as well as being a creative masterpiece.
I am sure that you also can think of a lot of books that have all of the above included with equal measures, that which makes them so great!
Lucinda Xx

message 15: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Isabelle (Potterwholockian) | 1409 comments Mod
usually I judge a book on the blurb to find out if it is interesting or not.

Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ (Ruealwaysa1directioner) | 104 comments Sometimes..... That tactic doesn't work.

Lucinda | 1856 comments Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ wrote: "Sometimes..... That tactic doesn't work."

It is not until i actually begin to read the book then do i begin to get an idea of what it is like, and whether it is something of interest or not. Xx

Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ (Ruealwaysa1directioner) | 104 comments Yup. Me too. For example, The Hunger Games. I'd heard of it and had the ebook but hadn't read it yet. I went to secondary school and everyone was gaga over it. So I read it and I LOVED IT!!! Yay!!! And you know why I didn't read it earlier? I only read the blurb.

Claire (clairelouisef) | 677 comments Love Paranormal books, but anything YA will do for me :) You will always find books you like out of your comfort zone!

Lucinda | 1856 comments Claire wrote: "Love Paranormal books, but anything YA will do for me :) You will always find books you like out of your comfort zone!"

That is very true as recently to help with my English & to broaden my mind, i have begun to read all sorts of books and some things that i never thought i would ever read. All different kinds of genre & text and i have found it to be fantastic as i now know that my enjoyment of reading does spread further and to different genres too; fantastic!
Lucinda Xx

Lucinda | 1856 comments Ebony wrote: "Non-stop fighting, a sprinkle of romance, heart-racing suspense, clever comendy, and a massive twist. :D"

I would have to completely agree with you and say something that was similar; with action & drama and perhaps a romance too (or at least something that did contain a slight romance). Xx

Louise | 26 comments Heroines/heroes with a backbone. A relatively strong plot line and unique ideas. I've grown tired of reading the same old soppy make my eyes bleed romance. Come on guys, a love triangle does not make a plot line.

message 23: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Louise wrote: "Heroines/heroes with a backbone. A relatively strong plot line and unique ideas. I've grown tired of reading the same old soppy make my eyes bleed romance. Come on guys, a love triangle does not ma..."

True! But I like to refer to them as love ANGLES.

'cause a love triangle in e.g. Hunger Games goes:

Gale-Katniss
Katniss-Peeta
Peeta-...

See?!!

ANGLES!!

Lucinda | 1856 comments Booknut wrote: "Louise wrote: "Heroines/heroes with a backbone. A relatively strong plot line and unique ideas. I've grown tired of reading the same old soppy make my eyes bleed romance. Come on guys, a love trian..."

*Laughs* However a stong, distincitive character does help to draw the reader in & makes the story 'come to life' as it were; there are plenty of romance novels that are beautiful but that you cannot empathise or relate to the characters that well. Xx

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1925 comments Romance, comedy, a STRONG lead character, good plot, a little bit of mystery??? And it has to keep me entertained of course!

Lucinda | 1856 comments Olivia wrote: "Romance, comedy, a STRONG lead character, good plot, a little bit of mystery??? And it has to keep me entertained of course!"

All of that is very true & what one would hope to find in a really great book! Xx

Kristi~Daryl Dixon for Life (derek1) | 46 comments It has to be interesting, have a good plot line, good characters, and keep me reading.

Lucy  | 113 comments Well, this is very tricky because I don't usually care about the genre of the book, only wether it is a good book or not.
However, I have to confess that I read more YA, paranormal and romance than I read the other genres.
About authors, I totally worship J.K.Rowling, Cassandra Clare, Colleen Houck, Julie Kagawa, J.R.R.Tolkien and Juliet Marillier.
Love them,love them, love them!!! :D
I am a die-hard fan of Harry Potter, The Lord Of The Rings, The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, Tiger Saga, among others ;)
I've recently read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma and I have to say that the book changed my entire life. Excellent book!! Everyone should read it!
Tabitha is definitely an author that I will follow closely.
So, when I'm to choose a book I look for something that I know will make me further think about myself, my convictions, life in general.
A beautiful love story and a strong female protagonist is definitely a must.
I also have a thing with battle scarred, hardened heroes that act like bad boys just to hide their pain, like Jace Lightwood from TMI, Prince Ash from The Iron Fey series and Lucius Vladescu from Jessica's Guide To Dating On the Dark Side.
Also, the book has to have great secondary characters.
Concluding, I want the stories to be something new, like a breath of fresh air. I've grown tired of the same vampire/fallen angel dynamic.

message 29: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Lucy wrote: "Well, this is very tricky because I don't usually care about the genre of the book, only wether it is a good book or not.
However, I have to confess that I read more YA, paranormal and romance than..."

I love all your choices!! Excellent taste in books!!

Lucy  | 113 comments Booknut wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Well, this is very tricky because I don't usually care about the genre of the book, only wether it is a good book or not.
However, I have to confess that I read more YA, paranormal an..."

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments it has to have an interesting plot and a strong protagonist! if the narrator of the book is boring and self-centered; i'm not gonna like it. i love YA, dystopian, and romance!
it also HAS to have some romance! i'll settle for a little but i always like more:) and if they're done correctly i LOVE love "angles" (thank you booknut!)

Jessica (Scoobygal321) | 1 comments I love reading good writing, an original plot, powerful protagonists, romance, and a sexy guy for the romantic part. Genres I enjoy are romance, history, mystery, GOOD sci-fy, and fantasy. I also love fairy tale retellings.

A big thing that attracts me in the bookstore is a pretty cover. Yes, I know the don't judge a book by it's cover rule, and this method has failed me before, but the covers are just soo pretty! I'm also more likely to enjoy the book if the heroine is brunette.

Kristi~Daryl Dixon for Life (derek1) | 46 comments It also needs to have a good ending point. Forget that one

Lucinda | 1856 comments Jessica wrote: "I love reading good writing, an original plot, powerful protagonists, romance, and a sexy guy for the romantic part. Genres I enjoy are romance, history, mystery, GOOD sci-fy, and fantasy. I also..."

I know that the saying goes 'don't judge a book by its cover' but when one is in a bookstore the thing that one notices first is always the cover, and how it stands out upon the shelf. Some of my most favourite novels have very dull & uninteresting looking covers but then some do not (i.e Harry Potter series with its colourful covers), but this is the one thing that people do seem to notice.
Lucinda Xx

Anna Wood-gaines (AnnaBanana13) | 1674 comments as much as i try not to judge a book by it's cover, the cover is one of the main reasons you pick up a book from the shelf! so the cover needs to be interesting enough to grab my attention, and then the description or experts from the book come into play. i admit i'm drawn to the pretty, colorful covers with interesting designs/pictures on it! :)

Louise | 26 comments Booknut wrote: "Louise wrote: "Heroines/heroes with a backbone. A relatively strong plot line and unique ideas. I've grown tired of reading the same old soppy make my eyes bleed romance. Come on guys, a love trian..."

I know the Hunger Games had a love triangle; but it was not the central plot (ehem: twilight)... I'm not being horrible, but it's just such a bore, why couldn't you have a triangle where a guy likes the guy the girl likes or vice versa?

Stan Morris (morriss003) A good twist on an old plot. That is why I liked 'Twilight.' The presentation of vampires and werewolves was fresh and interesting.

message 38: by Kathleen (last edited Apr 22, 2012 05:06PM) (new)

Kathleen Harsch Booknut wrote: "Rimpy wrote: "Hehe..:D Great! So what do you expect from a book Booknut?"

I look for books that have characters that interest me. I will NOT sit through a book where the character doesn't undergo ..."

I do the exact same thing when I'm looking for a good book. I always flip to the front page first (if I get past page 5), then I'll look in the middle of the book, to check the style. Then after all the other stuff: cover and blurb, I'll decide whether to read it or not.
Happy reading!

Lucinda | 1856 comments Dear Everyone,
Out of all of the books that i have read over the years the ones that have become firm favourites are those that have a very unique storyline and one that is highly distinctive; Harry Potter, Tolkien's works, His Dark Materials, Austen, Dickens, ken Follet, Conan Doyal ectera. all have very singular storylines that are so unique & which have not been copied or are similar to anything else.
Also, the books that i love contain a LOT of action and drama within them, whether that be physical fighting (which i cannot help but be on the edge of my seat for within a book or film), or whether that be with the characters but it definately has a lot of action and fast-paced drama. Slow novels that are over descriptive can get tiresom and i think i have only ever managed to get through several that were like this, including 'Winterbirth' by Brian Ruckley and also 'a song of ice and fire' series by George RR Martin (book 1- a game of thrones).
Finally alongside all the action and drama it usually has a romance(s) within it, as i don't think that any book i love doesn't have some kind of love triangle or hero/ heroine scene within it.
Lucinda :)

Izzy {Valdez} Lightfleur (IzzyLightfleur) I look 4:

Excitement
Adventure
High action
Humor and sarcasm
young characters(13, like that you know?), because they do the funniest things!

message 41: by Mark (last edited Apr 24, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Mark | 26 comments Reviews from people who've already read it, and then whether it's written in first or the preferred third person. Back cover, side flap synopsis.

Aubrey (Korrick) I heavily favor historical fiction and fantasy, but with the advent of Goodreads, an interesting summary in any genre merits reading. Or interesting hearsay. I don't often look at reviews, but one from a source that I respect can make or break the chance of it being read. There's the occasional book that I read for being able to say I read it, but I try to minimize that.

Lucinda | 1856 comments Dear Everyone,
I would have to say that the genre of the book can influence my descision, especially if it is fantasy fiction (my favourite) or something that has had a lot of advertising and publicity. Such as for example Anne Lyle's new book has had book trailers, shop posters ectera and so when it came out a lot of people were already in the know and very excited- she is a great author.
Lucinda Xx

Ishanaz | 1 comments I usually go with my feelings. If I'm feeling happy, I might not go for a dark plot. I would go for a comedy or something. If I'm feeling relaxed, I would go for a good fantasy. If I am worrying about something, I would go for a book that has a similar situation happening in it. So yeah, I go with my feelings.

Julie Rainey Most of the time what I look for is a book that has the ability to draw me in within the first few chapters. Mostly that is Science Fiction or Fantasy and possibly mystery and suspense.

message 46: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Julie wrote: "Most of the time what I look for is a book that has the ability to draw me in within the first few chapters. Mostly that is Science Fiction or Fantasy and possibly mystery and suspense."

The draw of a first chapter is so integral to a book being good or bad - because if the draw isn't strong enough sometimes you'll be put off reading it and won't be as likely to pick it up again.

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1925 comments Booknut wrote: "Julie wrote: "Most of the time what I look for is a book that has the ability to draw me in within the first few chapters. Mostly that is Science Fiction or Fantasy and possibly mystery and suspens..."

Exactly!

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Ishanaz wrote: "I usually go with my feelings. If I'm feeling happy, I might not go for a dark plot. I would go for a comedy or something. If I'm feeling relaxed, I would go for a good fantasy. If I am worrying ab..."

I do this, as well. Sometimes I try to read a book and find it taking weeks just to get 20 pages choked down. I'll shove it away on a shelf for awhile and once it's collected a sufficient amount of dust, I'll feel guilty and pick it up again and find myself in the perfect mood to devour it in a matter of days.

Olivia (DrBrennan17) | 1925 comments Tiffani wrote: "Ishanaz wrote: "I usually go with my feelings. If I'm feeling happy, I might not go for a dark plot. I would go for a comedy or something. If I'm feeling relaxed, I would go for a good fantasy. If ..."

I do the same thing!

Lucinda | 1856 comments The Blurb and front cover of a book, can be the main deciding factors for a person as to whether they will read the book or not...which can be misleading at times, as i have read loads of fantastic novels that have had the most dull & plain looking covers and sparse blurbs.
x

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Poison (other topics)