EDUC 567 Spring 2012 discussion

Response to We Are the Ship

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 4 comments The title "We Are the Ship" is derived from "We are the ship, all else is the sea," spoken by Rube Foster. After seeing the title, I had no idea what the book was about, but after reading the book the title had much more meaning. In the context of the book, what do you think the phrase "we are the ship" means? Just write a couple of sentences with your thoughts!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Alfaro | 3 comments After reading the book, I understood the title a lot better also. I think that the phrase, "we are the ship" signifies that the baseball players are like a ship that is embarking on a long and treacherous journey. When I read the part of the book that said, "try sleeping in a car with your knees to your chest, crammed with eight other guys, only to play a game the next day", I made a connection/ comparison of this experience to what sailors go through on a ship. At sea, ships get pushed and pulled in different directions. Ships must fight through the strongest waves and the toughest storms. In my opinion, this fight is comparable to the fight that the baseball players went through on a daily basis. The sea is comparable to the adversity that the baseball players experienced. Specifically, the sea in regard to the phrase "we are the ship, all else is the sea" represents forces such as white managers, the Major Leagues, and the KKK that yearned to push the baseball players further away from their dreams. However, the baseball players at the end, specifically Jackie Robinson, powers through the sea and makes it to the other side where these is recognition, equality and peace.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Moore (tnmoore) | 5 comments I really like Alex's description of the baseball players as a ship. I thought of the baseball players in the Negro League as being the crew of the ship. Their entire environment, including other baseball leagues, other individuals, restaurants, means of transportation, discrimination, etc. constituted the sea. In thinking about it this way, the players chose to direct the ship as they wish. They persevered against tough waters and directed the sail in the way that they saw best fit against the sea that they faced. This included such things as having to drive through the night without eating, or using the bathroom in the woods in the South. Although the sea provided a struggle for the ship, the ship faced its challenge and embarked on a journey of ups and downs.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Moser (enmoser) | 5 comments After reading this book, I also think the title "We are the Ship" really captures the fact that these players were the ship. I also think that they had their ship had a direction, that they were playing for love of baseball - and that kept them moving forward. "All else the sea" makes me think of everything they had to go through as a means to play the game, including the racism and the hard playing conditions (ranging from the difficult traveling conditions to the rocky baseball fields).

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Cobb | 6 comments I think the title "We Are the Ship" shows the exclusion that the members of the Negro League felt in the baseball tradition even though they were as good or better than the athletes in the major league. The sea imagery also shows the distance they had to travel to become integrated into the major league.

unread topics | mark unread