Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > What if you posted a quote that changed history?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2073 comments Mod
Alternate history is the exercise of looking at the past and asking "what if"? What if some major historical event had gone differently, and how could that have changed the world?

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2036 comments From Lost in a Good Book:

Something, I felt, wasn't quite right.
"No more odd than a double blowout," I told him, walking a few paces to a handy phone booth. I lifted the receiver and said: "Do you have any change --"
I stopped because I'd just noticed a ticket on top of the phone. As I picked it up a Skyrail shuttle approached high up on the steel tracks, as if on cue.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments From World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
(Excerpt from an interview of Director of the CIA)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we were impotent, and maybe we can take credit for some of the things our fans, and our critics, have suspected us of over the years. But if you add up all of the crackpot conspiracy theories from Pearl Harbor to the day before the great panic, the you'd have an organization not only more powerful than the United States, but the united efforts of the entire human race.

message 4: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 66 comments From Timeless (edited slightly to protect series spoilers):

"A sort of secret society. I will, of course, require a vow of silence."
"Naturally. What do you call yourselves?"
"The Parasol Protectorate."
"I am enthralled by the concept of a society named after an accessory. Do go on, my lady."
"What is the purpose of this society?"
"I suppose the root of the Protectorate is to seek truth and protect the innocent. In as polite and well accessorized way as possible, of course."

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments From Heartless (page 19)
Alexia nestled against him, enjoying the tingles his massive body still engendered in her own.
Lord Akeldama sighed. "You lovebirds, how will I endure such flirtations constantly in my company? Lord Maccon, How de'classe' to love your own wife. He led the way out of his drawing room and into the long arched front hallway.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2036 comments Cryptonomicon is so long and so varied that one quote can't really give a good sense of it. So I tried to pick one that gives a sense of the subtle humor that seeps through the action every once in a while.

"It is a very unusual setup," the colonel muses," not the kind of thing that military men would ever dream up. Do you know what I'm saying, Shaftoe?"

"Sir, no sir! But I do detect a strong odor of politics in the room now, sir!"

The colonel gets a little twinkle in his eye, and glances out the window.

message 7: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
From Boneshaker by Cherie Priest:

Briar knew the stories that made the rounds. She'd heard them herself, been asked about them dozens of times by dozens of policemen, reporters, and furious survivors.

So Zeke had certainly heard them, too. He'd been taunted by them when he was small enough to cry in school. Once, years ago, when he was barely as tall as her waist, he'd asked if any of it was true. Did his father really make the terrible machine that broke the city until pieces of it fell into the earth? Did he really bring the Blight?

"Yes," she had to tell him. "Yes, it happened that way, but I don't know why. He never told me. Please don't ask me anymore."

He never did ask for more, even though Briar sometimes wished he would.

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 976 comments from Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde, this is regarding a political debate:

"Succinctly put," announced Webastow. "At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent non-specific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lost in a Good Book (other topics)
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (other topics)
Timeless (other topics)
Heartless (other topics)
Cryptonomicon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cherie Priest (other topics)
Jasper Fforde (other topics)