Time Travel discussion

The Time Cavern
This topic is about The Time Cavern
2014 Monthly Book Giveaways > APRIL - "The Time Cavern" by Todd Fonseca

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator in Memory (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
Our featured book for our April giveaway is The Time Cavern by Goodreads author and time travel group member Todd Fonseca. Our question for this month's drawing is a little different than normal. Since this book is written for a younger audience, our question is this:

"What is the first time travel novel you remember reading, and how old were you when you read it?"

NOTE: The author is willing to provide the winner with either an autographed paperback or an e-book edition that is available in multiple e-reader formats.

Anyone who posts an answer to the above question will be entered in our drawing. The winner will be selected at random and will be announced on April 8. So that means you have just one week to post your comments for a chance to win this book. Once the winner is announced, the author will contact that person to arrange for delivery of their free book.

I will invite Todd to post some additional info about his book. And please feel free to ask him any questions you might have. Also remember that the winner of this giveaway is encouraged to write an honest and thoughtful review of the book once they have a chance to read it.

Joshua Ng (joshuatj) | 9 comments Conrad - The Cross Time Engineer was the first Time Travel Novel I read. I was 19 years old back then. It was so engaging that I remember reading a couple of times after the first round. I was reading it on my faithful Nokia E71. Eventually I went on with the whole Conrad series. Re-read it thrice I think.

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 271 comments Yikes, I'm drawing a total blank. Something by Ray Bradbury maybe, as I read Dandelion Wine for school, Jr. High, in the early 70s, and loved it and probably read everything I could find by him. Does anyone recall if any of his novels or themed story collections included a time travel element?

Tim Goebel (Bibliomane) | 2 comments I don't remember my exact age, or if it was even the first time travel book that I ever read, but the first novel that I actually remember reading featuring time travel was Robert A. Heinlein's TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE.

A friend of mine in high school recommended that I read Heinlein, and he particularly believed that this would be the Heinlein book that would most appeal to be; and boy was he right.

TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE blew me away when I first read it, and it is still a personal favorite of mine. Filled with intriguing characters that I grew to care about, a story that sucked me into its reality (as the "real" world around me drifted into the background), the book seemed to hold secrets that to me during that awkward period of my life I madly wanted to know more about.

I have often wanted, longed actually, to reread this novel over the last thirty-plus years, but the fear that doing so would take away from that first perfect encounter have always kept me from opening its pages again.

If only I could travel back in time and relive that first reading that so captured my imagination, back when I was still young and so open to the impossible; now that would be a trip worth taking.

message 5: by Larry (last edited Apr 01, 2012 09:55PM) (new)

Larry Moniz (LarryMoniz) I was 10 and it was a collection of short stories called The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein. I've read thousands of books, but the famous Butterfly story: The Butterfly Effect in the collection has always remained in my thoughts and was part of the reason I now write about time travel.

Self-Promotion for Authors by Larry Moniz Murder in the Pinelands (Inside Story) by Larry Moniz The Rebellion by Larry Moniz Dead Storage by Larry Moniz

Lance Greenfield (LanceGreenfieldMitchell) | 142 comments I was at boarding school in Derbyshire, at the age of eight, when I found A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley in the school library.

Apart from the time travel aspect of the book, I was in the early days of my continued fascination and love of historical fiction. For me, reading this book was like discovering a treasure trove.

Recalling that time has put me in mind to find a copy and to re-read it.

Marleda Jones | 1 comments I read A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones not long after I read the Narnia books, so I actually understood several of the WWII references. I was perhaps 12, (I was a late reader) and having read Howl's Moving Castle, this was the beginning of a realization that there were different genres that I would like. The time travel was actually a bit hard sci-fi for a young children's book, I believe. At any rate, it has always stuck with me, and while not my favorite book at the time (I liked Howl's better) I'll always remember it.

Jaye The Mirror

this is the 1979 cover.
The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser

i read it in 1978, but there is no cover picture for that edition.
i still have the book. the cover is long gone, but i remember it being the same as the edition pictured.

message 9: by Ophelia (last edited Apr 02, 2012 02:54AM) (new)

Ophelia (OpheliaAutumn) | 12 comments I'm afraid it was some story in the French children magazine "le journal de mickey" ("mickey mouse magazine") ...
I also wrote a short story for my French class about traveling into Cleopatra's mind when I was 12.
But the first real time travel book I read was The Time Machine by H G Wells.

Jamie (Swingcorey) | 51 comments Funny tie-in to the title of the giveaway book. The first time travel novel I'd ever read was "Choose Your Own Adventure #1: The Cave of Time" by Edward Packard. I was in 5th grade (10 years old) when I started reading the CYOA books, and although this was the first one in the series, it was the 5th or 6th one I'd ever read. (The first one I'd read was Journey Under the Sea.)

message 11: by Tej, On Hiatus (last edited Apr 02, 2012 03:40AM) (new) - added it

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1321 comments Mod
As a co-mod, I dont think I qualify to enter but I still like to contribute my first time travel experience.

It was in the same year I started reading books at the age of 11. That book was Tom's Midnight Garden. Still unto this day my favourite ever time travel novel. Its a book about a child's wonder, friendship, growing up and loss, using the the wonderful plot devices of a clock that strikes 13 times at midnight, a secret garden and of course, time travel. I have read this several times over the decades and every time it never fails to move me. As a child I would be deeply jealous of Tom, visiting his aunt and uncle who are unaware of a secret garden that whisks Tom back in time and making friends with another child of the past. But as a grown up I realise there is sadness and loneliness to Tom and a deeper melancholy to the book I never grasped as a child. A most beautiful and enchanting book novel for any age.

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa PearceTom's Midnight Garden

Loving some of the mentions on here so far. I've just put A Tale of Time City and A Traveller in Time, they sound good (thanks Lance and Marleda)

Lance Greenfield (LanceGreenfieldMitchell) | 142 comments Tej wrote: "As a co-mod, I dont think I qualify to enter but I still like to contribute my first time travel experience.

It was in the same year I started reading books at the age of 11. That book was Tom's..."

Tej - I have to admit that Tom's Midnight Garden is, for me, a beautifully crafted story and a great favourite of mine. I read it a long time ago and must read it again. I should read it to my grandchildren if they'll sit still long enough!

Glynn | 99 comments A very misty recollection, but I believe it was "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells...or..."A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle. I was maybe 11 ??

Larry | 4 comments I would have to go with "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells" after reading "War of the worlds" I was hooked

Todd Fonseca (ToddAFonseca) | 11 comments Hi everyone! I’m Todd A Fonseca and thank you for the opportunity to tell you about my middle grade books – The Aaron and Jake Time Travel series released through Ridan Publishing.

I’ll post some brief info about the first two books in the series followed by a few Q&A. Happy to address any other questions folks have! Thanks again.

The Time Cavern: Book one in the acclaimed series

THE MYSTERY BEGAN A HUNDRED YEARS AGO. IT WAS NEVER SOLVED. NOW IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.
When ten-year-old Aaron moved from the big city to the country, he thought it was a boring sleepy town. Then he met Jake, a know-it-all farm girl who said his house was haunted. She claimed an Amish boy disappeared without a trace after hearing the wind call his name. Aaron thought she was just trying to scare him...until the night he heard his own name in the wind.

[image error]

The Inverted Cavern: Aaron and Jake Time Travel Adventures

The Inverted Cavern: Book two in the acclaimed series

WHEN TRAVELING THROUGH TIME, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
Aaron and Jake received a message from the Amish boy they had returned a hundred years back in time, proving their experiment had been a success. When they discover the diary containing entries of their own adventures, it gives them the confidence to explore the past and future for themselves. They made careful preparations—thought of every possibility—and took every precaution.

So how could everything go so incredibly wrong?

REVIEWS

"Wow! What a terrific book - especially for young adult readers. What more could you ask for? Mystery, time travel, history - all rolled into one heck of a yarn." -- Joseph Perrone Jr, author of As the Twig is Bent

""The Time Cavern will stimulate and captivate the imagination of young readers, girls and boys alike. I urge parents and teachers to add this book to their libraries. " -- D. B. Pacini, author of The Loose End of the Rainbow

""The Time Cavern showcases masterful storytelling that will immediately be passed forward to one of my nephews. I highly recommend picking up a copy for the young explorers that you love." -- Roy L. Pickering, author of Patches of Grey

""The mystery of The Time Cavern is clever, well-thought out, nicely researched in its details, and leaves me wanting more. I hope a sequel will be forthcoming. Very well-written & highly recommended to readers of all ages! " --Rai Aren, author of Secret of the Sands

Todd A. Fonseca

Question: First, tell us what inspired you to write The Time Cavern.
Fonseca: Growing up, I was one of those kids that did not enjoy books. I remember
having reading assignments in school and I’d count the pages to the end of the chapter
assigned—it was definitely a chore. Then I read "A Wrinkle In Time¸by Madline L’Engle. I was completely engrossed in the story. Before I knew it, I had finished the book and
subsequently became an insatiable reader. Years later, I re-read the book and relived not
only the wonderment of the story from when I was younger but also appreciated it on an
entirely new level as an adult. It was "A Wrinkle In Time that inspired The Time Cavern. I wanted to write a book that featured everyday kids, not the jock or the beautiful girl. A
book that would let them experience something as grand as their imaginations—but be
real. Like Madeline L’Engle, I wrote it as a piece that does not talk down to young adults,
but rather challenged their intellect while being entertaining.

Question: So this book is targeted at young adults?
Fonseca: The main character is a ten-year-old, so primarily the book is targeted at preteen
and young adults. However, I’ve found that many adults are enjoying the book. One
older adult wrote to me, “You know why I'm liking this book? Because I can read it
without any 'surprises' coming out of the woodwork. Language, sex, violence...kinda like
going back to my own childhood. I'm no prude, but sometimes its nice to just read a good
story.”

Question: The story takes place in rural Amish country. Why did you choose this setting?
Fonseca: I grew up in northern Indiana near a large Amish community. My dad enjoyed
taking the family for a Sunday drive and many times we found ourselves going through
rural Indiana. Fascinated by the horse and buggies, clothes, and lifestyle, I questioned
everything. I think I drove my parents crazy. The Amish I came across were so friendly
always waving as we drove by. Here were kids my age but living such a different life. I
think it really made me appreciate what I had but also it gave me great respect for them.
For The Time Cavern the setting was perfect, as it allowed both literally and figuratively a
journey through time.

Question: Not only does the reader learn a lot about Amish culture in the book, but
you’ve woven in information about astronomy, genealogy, and science. How did you
integrate all of this information in the novel?
Fonseca: Having four children of my own, it’s easy to see the world through their
insatiably curious minds. They are questioning machines. As Aaron and Jake uncover the
mystery of The Time Cavern, I simply followed the types of questions my own children
would ask along the way so it seamlessly follows the story. I think the result is not only
an entertaining but educational read.

Question: This is the first in a three part series. What comes next for our main
characters?
Fonseca: While this is only part one, the story is complete by itself. The main questions
posed at the beginning are resolved. However, the end clearly lets the reader know, more
has and will happen. I don’t want to give away any spoilers. Let’s just say that there will
be a number of role reversals for the main characters. While they believe they understand
the secrets of The Time Cavern, they’ll quickly learn that their journeys through time
aren’t as straight forward as they expected. They will confront the reality that getting back
home may be impossible.

K55f | 29 comments I read all of the Thyme Travel books by Edgar Eager when I was in 5th grade, A Time Garden, Half Magic, Magic By The Lake, etc.
At about the same time, I read the Time Machine by H.G. Wells.
E. Eager's writing lead me to Earthsea, Narnia, Middle Earth, and a multitude of other realms. I am truly grateful for his works.

Marilyn (Kittangle) | 3 comments I'm pretty sure it was The Time Machine by H. G. Wells ... I was probably 15.

Aurora Taylor If you want one that involves time travel, it was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. If you want one where time travel is the main topic of the book, it's 'Found' by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I was 12.

A.K. Adler (akadler) | 102 comments Hmmm... I guess Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has some time travel in there. So that's probably the first book I read with time travel in it.

I'd have been about 10.

Froody!

Debbie | 83 comments I don't remember the actual first but the first one that moved me and began my love of Time Travel was The Time Traveler's Wife. I was maybe 25.

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 10 comments Time And Again by Clifford D. Simak
Time And Again
by
Clifford D. Simak
Read it when I was 15 or 16.

Vickie | 61 comments I don't remember. But, I did read pretty much the entire sci-fi section in our little public library during my senior year of high school, which is when I first discovered sci-fi as a genre of literature. So, my best guess is that I read my first time travel book then.

The first time travel book I read that left a strong lasting impression on me was Replay.

Ken Magee | 32 comments It's a long time ago but I think it was The Time Machine by HG Wells. I think I was about 14.

message 24: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Apr 03, 2012 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
Wow, I'm glad to see so many great responses. This has been one of our most popular giveaway threads. Having read the first two books of the Time Cavern series, I'm happy to help introduce this book to our group members.

I've been trying to think of my first time travel book, and I honestly can't remember. Someone mentioned "The Cave of Time" (Choose Your Own Adventure #1) which I read when it came out in the early 1980s when I was 16 or 17. So that was probably my first. Oh my, did I just give away my age?

Jamie (Swingcorey) | 51 comments John wrote: "I've been trying to think of my first time travel book, and I honestly can't remember. Someone mentioned "The Cave of Time" (Choose Your Own Adventure #1) which I read when it came out in the early 1980s when I was 16 or 17...."

Although "The Cave of Time" was my first time travel book, my first experience with time travel fiction was when I was about 9 or 10 years old, watching the 1960 version of The Time Machine on TV. The thing that stuck with me most was the last part of the movie, when his friend notes that he left after taking 3 books with him. His friend asks the maid (and the audience), "What three books would you take with you?"

(But that's a question for another message board topic/thread.)

message 26: by John, Moderator in Memory (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
Feeling nostalgic, I decided to see if I could get a copy of "The Cave of Time." Not only are their used copies available through Amazon, but many of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books are now available for kindle. I'm so excited.

Amanda (pinktulip) | 11 comments Oh my, I LOVED any and all of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. I was in high school (probably 17 at the time) and we were reading 1984 and Alas, Babylon. It was then I fell in love with science fiction novels, so I picked up The Time Machine . My addiction went from there. My love for time travel might also have to do a certain 1980s film titled "Back to the Future". But that is for a different thread :)

Barbara Brien | 3 comments I was in middle school when a film strip (ancient technology) of "A Wrinkle in Time" was shown in the school library. I promptly borrowed the book, then moved on to the sequels.

Dan | 60 comments That was too long ago to be certain, but I know The Time Machine was one of the first, although A Sound of Thunder was also one of the early ones I remember.

Todd Fonseca (ToddAFonseca) | 11 comments Jamie wrote: "His friend asks the maid (and the audience), "What three books would you take with you?""

Jamie, that would be a good thread to answer!
When I talk to school kids about writing and time travel, The Time Machine is always a discussion point because of the influence it had for me...

Jamie (Swingcorey) | 51 comments Okay - I made a new topic thread here, about the 3 books question: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 32: by John, Moderator in Memory (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
Thanks for doing that Jamie. I am eager to see how people respond.

Laura | 11 comments I read Time and Again by Jack Finney, sometime in my thirties. I loved time travel movies such as Back to the future when I was a teenager. Time travel stories are now a favorite of mine, and as an author, I write them.Since that first book, I've read many time travels, both sci-fi and romance. Such a different approach the two genres take. -laura

message 34: by John, Moderator in Memory (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
I decided to do the drawing a little early so that I don't have to get online during Easter Sunday. So here we go. And the winner is....

message 35: by John, Moderator in Memory (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 834 comments Mod
Barbara!!!!!!

Congrats, Barbara. You can send a message to Todd to let him know if you would prefer an ebook or signed paperback. Also please post a review when you get a chance to read the book.

Club members, watch for our next book giveaway drawing, which will announced on May 1. Our featured book will be Lyon's Legacy by Sandra Ulbrich Almazan.

Laura | 11 comments Congratulations, Barbara. -laura

message 37: by Tej, On Hiatus (new) - added it

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1321 comments Mod
Congratulations, Barbara!

Well done everyone else for remembering your first TT books too. Thanks for some interesting ones mentioned that I have added on my "to read" list.

Todd Fonseca (ToddAFonseca) | 11 comments Congratulations Barbara!

The book is on its way to you! I hope you enjoy it.

Todd

Barbara Brien | 3 comments I just received the book! Thanks Todd!

Todd Fonseca (ToddAFonseca) | 11 comments Barbara,

Thanks so much for your kind review! It made my day!!

Todd