You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > April's Mysteries - Devil in the White City

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Here's the place to discuss our non-fiction group themed read, The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. Please note, we will not attempt to avoid spoilers.

I've not read this yet, but if you're ready go ahead and start without me; I'll catch up.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Apr 03, 2012 09:02PM) (new)

Susan (Chlokara) I'll start off and be the nay-sayer. I tried listening to the audio book of this several years ago, and could not get through it. Everybody else I know who read it loved it. Just a few days ago I finished listening to Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin which I had been looking forward to reading. I had to finish it because it was picked for my in-person book club to be discussed this month. I don't know if I would have finished it if I hadn't had to read it. If I can't get through a book in audio format, I certainly could not get through it in book format. I hope everyone else had a better experience with it. I guess I just don't like this author.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Good to know that the book isn't for everyone. Since it's been "several years" are you considering trying again? If not, that's fine.

I hope the rest of you are enjoying it! :)

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (Chlokara) Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Good to know that the book isn't for everyone. Since it's been "several years" are you considering trying again? If not, that's fine.

I hope the rest of you are enjoying it! :)"

No.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Well I know *somebody* voted for it, so I hope they're reading it & enjoying it! :) On my pile it's only two books down...

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok, I finally tried to read it. Sorry. I'm so sensitive to the "yuck factor" that I had to put it down after reading the blurb and notes. Is anybody enjoying it?

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Ok, I finally tried to read it. Sorry. I'm so sensitive to the "yuck factor" that I had to put it down after reading the blurb and notes. Is anybody enjoying it?"

I feel vindicated for not finishing it now, Cheryl. LOL!

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Well, I guess if nobody reads it, I won't have to create a badge for it! :)

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 18811 comments Who voted for it? Surely somebody is reading it?

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Well, I did set up the poll so votes would be public, but I almost feel as if I'm tattling if I name them here, so I'll hide their names:

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (Chlokara) It must have been some other Susan.

message 12: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 937 comments I'm almost 100% positive I didn't. But I'd I did tell me.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Yes, neither of you. :)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 18811 comments LOL! Sometimes the voters are lurkers who participate in silence. Come out! Come out! Wherever you are! We don't bite (hard anyway).

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilybookshelf) | 344 comments Haha Janice - I voted for this book. I just hadn't looked at this thread in case there were any spoilers. I plan to read it next on my list :) Sorry for being pokey.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 18811 comments Poke away. :)

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilybookshelf) | 344 comments Is anyone else reading this? I'm about 1/4 way into the book, and I so far find it interesting. In particular, I am enjoying the architectural parts, and the author does a good job of explaining the setting (time period and Chicago itself).

The book is a bit outside of my norm. I haven't reached too many gruesome details on the serial killer's story. However, I was appalled to learn that the serial killer went to the same university that I did. Yikes!

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I don't think anyone is, Emily. Have you finished? I'd love to give you a badge for this - you'd be unique!

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America (other topics)
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin (other topics)