ONTD Book Club discussion

Snark > April- 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »

Taylor Turner (PBnTay) | 106 comments Mod
No, this isn't a sick April Fool's joke... Fifty Shades of Grey actually won the vote! I believe there are online copies floating around the group so no one should have to actually purchase the book or be embarrassed at the library :) Enjoy your lolz. When it gets to be too much to take, head on over to our other Book of the Month discussion for The Knife of Never Letting Go!

Megan (Book Brats) (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
Yeah, I've decided to DNF this already. I just can't take it.

Taylor Turner (PBnTay) | 106 comments Mod
Valiant effort! I believe Wigs has a link to share with those interested, correct?

message 4: by Wigs (last edited Apr 01, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 435 comments Mod
Yup here we are, babes.

Clicky click.

Included is the mobi and epub. If you don't have an ereader (like me), download Kindle for PC from Amazon. It's free and you can change font size and background color of the ebook to be to your liking.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Wigs!

I am going to attempt to read this...let's see how far I get.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Curiosity got the best of me and I read this book about a week ago.

I was surprised....because I actually liked it. It goes with out saying, that this book will almost certainly never win any prestigious awards or be taught in schools or universities - BUT it is entertaining. My feelings toward this book are akin to my likeness for the movie, "Showgirls." It's trashy and awesomely-bad.

I know I'm in the minority in terms of people that did, or are at least willing to admit that they, liked this book.

Omg I love Showgirls. I will try to keep that thought in mind when I go to read it.

And omg I just spied on your book list and I see that you read all three? Wow!

That kinda gives me hope that I can finish it, lol

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Wigs wrote: "Omg I love Showgirls. I will try to keep that thought in mind when I go to read it.

And omg I just spied on your book list and I see that you read all three? Wow!

That kinda gives me hope that I..."

Haha yeah, I found them online and uploaded them to my nook. I think it took me a week or maybe a little less. They're really easy reads. I actually liked the second and third book more than the first. As I said, they are far from masterpieces - but still entertaining.

I'm anxious to see if anyone will end up siding with me. lol.

Edward was saying that Bella smelled like his own personal heroin, so yes...basically. Just a leftover over the fact that it is an unchanged Twific.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Wigs wrote: "Edward was saying that Bella smelled like his own personal heroin, so yes...basically. Just a leftover over the fact that it is an unchanged Twific."

OMG, I completely forgot about that heroin comment in the Twilight books. God, Meyer must have spent hours coming up with such an ingenious simile.

It's interesting to see people point out thing [in Fifty Shades] that I somehow managed to overlook. Gotta say, it's not really helping my opinion of the book.

Emy | 89 comments I was going to protest that there was no way in hell I was going to buy that book, but given that Wigs has provided a download...I can't really say no. :)

Stacey (optimisticlyricist) | 11 comments I read the first page and couldn't stop laughing. The writing sucks so bad lmao

Nina Sedlacek (ninasedlacek) | 19 comments Stacey wrote: "I read the first page and couldn't stop laughing. The writing sucks so bad lmao"

Same, I could barely make it through the first two pages. It's horrible.

Julia | 6 comments The number of times that the guy cocks his head during the first chapters is impressive.
Foreshadowing maybe?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The writing is terrible, but I found myself entertained somehow. I don't know, its like reading something so bad that it is somehow good. Or distractingly bad, at least. Its just so ridiculous I couldn't help but somehow enjoy it.

What I found interesting is that the things that are squicky in Twilight, like Edward's obsessiveness and possessive nature (esp. since its a book geared towards teens) came full circle here. Edward is literally a sadistic crack baby psychopath billionaire. LOL.

Oh and that inner goddess crap made me want to slap somebody.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Sara E. wrote: "The writing is terrible, but I found myself entertained somehow. I don't know, its like reading something so bad that it is somehow good. Or distractingly bad, at least. Its just so ridiculous I co..."

I agree with everything you said. The inner goddess and that bitch in her half-moon spec made me want to vomit.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

The guys possessive nature really bugged me. When he told her that he tracked her cellphone I was so annoyed. What a freaking creep.

Lori | 1 comments good lord this book was atrocious. The inner goddess crap made me gag every time it was brought up. The sex scenes were always ruined by the protagonists childish inner thoughts. Should make a drinking game for every time she says OH shit, OH crap, Oh my god. But what really turned me off was how the guy wanted to control her outside of the bedroom. From what she ate, how much she ate, what she wore, who she talked to, where she worked. Tracking her cell phone? How she was always worried about not making him angry. For someone who was in a controlling/emotionally abusive relationship, this book is just too much of a reminder of a past id like to forget.

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Apr 04, 2012 12:40PM) (new)

Sarah (sugarbobbin) Lori wrote: "But what really turned me off was how the guy wanted to control her outside of the bedroom. From what she ate, how much she ate, what she wore, who she talked to, where she worked. Tracking her cell phone? How she was always worried about not making him angry. For someone who was in a controlling/emotionally abusive relationship, this book is just too much of a reminder of a past id like to forget."

THIS. (I'm very sorry you had to go through that, <3)

I also get that it's a just a book, but the fact that these types of protagonists in books now are overwhelmingly popular makes me concerned on how people view relationships. Another concern is how many women will read it and think about involved in a BDSM relationship with just the knowledge from this book without doing any research. This book has nothing truly BDSM, just a controlling boyfriend with a hint of kink. Bad things can happen. :/

I haven't read this yet (lol) but from what y'all are saying, it sounds similar to the relationship in the movie Secretary. Is that true? Does she enjoy being controlled? Is she getting off on him being domineering? Or is this only one-sided. Because if it's non-consensual, then judging.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments The cell phone tracking bothered me, but not near as much as the little detail (in the "contract") that said she was not allowed to make eye contact with him.

Yet she was still "considering his proposal." I was like WTF!?? How could you even begin to consider being in a relationship with someone that thinks you are not even worthy enough to look them in the eyes.

It was somewhat interesting to see such a literal interpretation of Edward Cullen. I mean, honestly, when a girl wants an "Edward Cullen," she's basically wanting an all controlling, sadistic, crack baby, billionaire.

I read the other two out of sheer bordem and curiosity - and all though I know many of you will not choose to do the same - it does get slightly better. As I've said before, this series will certainly not be taught to future generations and is as far as you can possibly get from being a masterpiece.

"she was not allowed to make eye contact with him."

LORDT

PEARLS CLUTCHED

what is this i can't even

now i need to read this so i know what is going on here

Sarah (sugarbobbin) Wigs wrote: "I haven't read this yet (lol) but from what y'all are saying, it sounds similar to the relationship in the movie Secretary. Is that true? Does she enjoy being controlled? Is she getting off on him ..."

It's consensual.

Megan (Book Brats) (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
Wigs wrote: "I haven't read this yet (lol) but from what y'all are saying, it sounds similar to the relationship in the movie Secretary. Is that true? Does she enjoy being controlled? Is she getting off on him ..."

From what I could tell, she had no interest in BDSM, she just had the hots for Christian was hot for controlling her and that was about it.

Emy | 89 comments I just read the first chapter and omg it is SO bad.

Diana (dam2025) | 3 comments Emma wrote: "I just read the first chapter and omg it is SO bad."

Oh god me too and it was atrocious. I cannot with this book. We get it. He's super attractive. You don't need to say it every other line.

How is this so popular?

Sarah (sugarbobbin) Alex wrote: "Emma wrote: "I just read the first chapter and omg it is SO bad."

Oh god me too and it was atrocious. I cannot with this book. We get it. He's super attractive. You don't need to say it every ..."

I get the appeal, wicked hot guy has lots of kinky sex with virginal co-ed. It's like any other drugstore romance, junk food for the brain. It's those that are taking it more than what it is that's a little off based with reality and probably haven't had sex with their SO in 8 years.

Sally (eskeigh) | 12 comments Lori wrote: "Should make a drinking game for every time she says OH shit, OH crap, Oh my god...."

And the word "murmur". Can they not speak in normal voices? FFS.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Sally wrote: "Lori wrote: "Should make a drinking game for every time she says OH shit, OH crap, Oh my god...."

And the word "murmur". Can they not speak in normal voices? FFS."

I would say lets also take a drink each time they email one another, but then again, I don't want anyone to die.

I like how this is the most active discussion we've had. We should do snark books more often.

Lyndie Strawbridge (lyndiestrawbridge) | 29 comments OMG. Bless you, Wigs, for the link. I will read this book because I love you guys and I want to know what you're snarking about. ALSO because a lovely friend of mine confessed out loud on Facebook that she loved this book. She said, "I know I shouldn't admit this, but..." And I gave her a hard time about it. BUT I AM CURIOUS

Caroline (cblace) | 31 comments I've read through all the comments so far and now I'm not sure I want to read it because my comments might devolve into a terrible feminist manifesto. But I will persist because I would love to discuss the difference between truly controlling/abusive relationships and consensual BDSM D/s relationships.

Grant (ggish) | 28 comments Caroline wrote: "I've read through all the comments so far and now I'm not sure I want to read it because my comments might devolve into a terrible feminist manifesto. But I will persist because I would love to dis..."

I agree. I think it would be really interesting to discuss/debate the differences between controlling/abusive relationships and consensual BDSM D/s relationships.

To pull a page from the Ana Steele handbook, I really did not know that actual BDSM D/s relationships existed. I guess that makes me both inexperienced and naive. I can only imagine that people who choose to lead that type of lifestyle must be really upset with a book that, in a sense, demonizes such a relationship - making one or both parties emotionally damaged to the point that they choose this type of alternative lifestyle.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (OstensiblyA) | 71 comments Grant wrote: "Caroline wrote: "I've read through all the comments so far and now I'm not sure I want to read it because my comments might devolve into a terrible feminist manifesto. But I will persist because I ..."

Or a child molester or a serious mental disorder. The depiction of BDSM in this fic is heinous.

The comments here have one of the better discussions of the BDSM v. Abuse elements of this story I've seen so far.

Kim (callmeserena) | 15 comments I'm starting it this evening. I'm too embarrassed to put it on my "currently reading" shelf. This is the first time this year that assigned reading for Uni has looked like the more attractive option. (What did I get myself into?)

That's what I felt when I put Modelland up...and then I realized that so many people here read stuff for the lulz that I think they understand. I dunno. If they judge tho, why should they care in the first place?

Emy | 89 comments Kim wrote: "I'm starting it this evening. I'm too embarrassed to put it on my "currently reading" shelf. This is the first time this year that assigned reading for Uni has looked like the more attractive optio..."

I've put it up, but I make sure I make negative comments so that no one actually thinks I'm enjoying it. lol.

Amanda Wheet | 7 comments I tried just a few pages, snorted laughing, and am pretty sure I can't finish. Gonna try one more time!

Stacey (optimisticlyricist) | 11 comments Grant wrote: "Sally wrote: "Lori wrote: "Should make a drinking game for every time she says OH shit, OH crap, Oh my god...."

And the word "murmur". Can they not speak in normal voices? FFS."

I would say lets ..."

I was going to say the same thing about drinking every time she blushed but lbr, we'll all end up getting alcohol poisoning within the first chapter.

Roxy (r_a_black) | 9 comments Gonna try to take this one slowly. I already hate both of these characters so very much.

Also lol at all the word choices taken from Twilight. I bet Anastasia will have a tendency to scowl throughout the entire thing.

Emy | 89 comments I don't know if this is going to be encouraging to any of you, but I think it gets easier to read once you get pass the first half.

Kim (callmeserena) | 15 comments My Kobo tells me I'm 41% done with the story so far, and omg. I cannot with Anastacia. As an English Major with an interest in Thomas Hardy I am embarrassed to have anything in common with her.

She's such a child! I cannot believe it. I want to shake her half the time. She signed a contract given to her by a man she barely knows without even bothering to read it!

Don't even get me started on Christian's character. Lawd.

Caroline (cblace) | 31 comments So I just got done with Chapter 3 and good lord. This writing is just not doing it for me; it's too literal, too much telling and not enough showing.

I also can't separate the work from it's original purpose as Twilight fanfiction. I imagine the characters as Edward and Bella, and it's very obvious where she's slipped in descriptions and nuances to the source material. I also spend a lot of time trying to figure out who each character is in the original verse.

Also, if Ana mentions having to study for her damn exams one more time I'm going to go through the book and tear out each page that has the word "exam" in it.

Lisa -*-Strawberry Cow Book Cafe-*- (bluejay390) | 4 comments Kim wrote: "She's such a child! I cannot believe it. I want to shake her half the time. She signed a contract given to her by a man she barely knows without even bothering to read it!"

I just read that part. I wanted to scream at her during that scene! I don't care who it is, never sign something you have not read!

Kim (callmeserena) | 15 comments Also, can I just say how utterly gross it is that Christian more or less compared himself to Alec D'Urberville? Alec is gross. He's a manipulative bastard and a rapist. He's not a romantic figure at all. I get the eerie feeling that James was sexually titillated by the novel, which is creepy, because it's anything but a romance. It's actually got more proto-feminist themes in it than 50 Shades. How depressing that the latter was written in the 21st century and Hardy's was written during one of the most misogynist periods of the 19th century.

I am beyond offended that one of my favourite novels is being used as a point of obvious and painfully erroneous allusion over and over again. ANA IS THE WORST ENGLISH MAJOR EVER.

Naomi E | 37 comments Grant wrote: "Sara E. wrote: "The writing is terrible, but I found myself entertained somehow. I don't know, its like reading something so bad that it is somehow good. Or distractingly bad, at least. Its just so..."

This. Absolutely, positively all of this

Roxy (r_a_black) | 9 comments Kim wrote: "Also, can I just say how utterly gross it is that Christian more or less compared himself to Alec D'Urberville? Alec is gross. He's a manipulative bastard and a rapist. He's not a romantic figure a..."

I don't know anything about Hardy's work, but I figured James was stretching things at least a little, same as Meyer did with the novels she referenced.

Also, I don't know a damn thing about BDSM relationships, but do they usually go beyond the bedroom like this one does? Someone school me, plz.

Sofia (vildmarken) | 3 comments i haven't gotten around to read this shit yet, but all your comments make me excited to read it negl.

Stacey (optimisticlyricist) | 11 comments Sofia wrote: "i haven't gotten around to read this shit yet, but all your comments make me excited to read it negl."

I mean its no literary masterpiece but the lulz are endless.

Naomi E | 37 comments So, not only does this book "borrow" from "Twilight", it also "borrows" heavily from a fanfic named "The Dominant" by tarasueme. And by "borrows" I mean "rips off royally". I'm pretty sure it's still up on fanfiction.net if anyone is curious. Putting this book down now.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Knife of Never Letting Go (other topics)
Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)