Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

The Gray Man (Court Gentry, #1)
This topic is about The Gray Man
Group Reads Archive > April Group Read: The Gray Man by Mark Greaney *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3586 comments Mod
Optional Talking Points

1. Plot/Storyline
2. Characters
3. Theme
4. Action elements--successful or not?
5. Overall thoughts on book. Rating out of 1-5 stars or 1-10?
6. Similar books you'd recommend?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2542 comments 1. Plot/Storyline
Interesting one. Not startlingly new (Agent is tagged for death but doesn't know why). Still it's done well here with an emphasis on action.
2. Characters
Not shallow but not drawn in detail either. The Gray Man himself is taking shape while a lot of other characters are there for the book's story. They exist for interaction and we find out what we need to know, but not more.
3. Theme
Sort of covered above. Basically patriotic man who has done what he thought was his duty...sometimes unpleasant duty that bothered him at some level, and now he's got a "kill on sight" order against him. he doesn't know why he's been burned or who burned him. Was he betrayed by someone hanging something on him? Now he makes his living in a dark way using his "unique" talents and he's known for that (and only as "the Gray Man").
4. Action elements--successful or not?
For me yes. I like action novels (I'll list a couple below). It's got a good deal of slam bang and also some silenced gun fights. It may depend on if you actually like "action" reads.
5. Overall thoughts on book. Rating out of 1-5 stars or 1-10?
I rated it 5. If we were on a 10 star system I might go 9. I wouldn't rate it up with Lord of the Rings or To Kill a Mockingbird, but for enjoyment value it deserves a high rating from me.
My review:http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger books, the first is
Point Of Impact. Vince Flynn is also an action oriented writer with a character not unlike Court Gentry. For a more fantasy flavored read Monster Hunter International and others in that series are action reads...

message 3: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eileen | 3236 comments Mod
Since I couldn't sleep last night, I finished The Gray Man. Not sure if I can do a well enough synopsis of The Gray Man, working with only a few cylinder's today.

Not really sure what I'm going to rate it today. I'm going to have to give it some thought. They're things I really liked and parts weren't to crazy about.

Chris Marshall | 52 comments I just finished The Gray Man and all I can say is WOW! I finally found a good espionage writer. For me, Robert Ludlum is a bit wordy, but ok, and Tom Clancy could write 100 pages on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I will most certainly be reading the other books by Mark Greaney!

message 5: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris, I have to agree this books was definitely a WOW book with nonstop action. The pace for me made this a real page turner. Even though sometimes I have to admit, I did get a little confused on who was after Gentry. It was well written and I plan I reading the rest in the series.

Chris Marshall | 52 comments Couldn't agree more Eileen! I even (gasp) picked up "Locked On", which Greaney co-wrote with Clancy and I hope I'll like it.

message 7: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Be sure and let of know what you think of "Locked On" when you read it, Chris.

message 8: by The Pirate Ghost, STOP 22 (new)

The Pirate Ghost (PirateGhost) | 5274 comments Mod
I need to get busy and do some readin!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2542 comments I liked Locked On Pretty well Chris (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). I was a big fan of Clancy for a long time, but noticed his books had included more and more excess verbiage (so to speak) over the years. I like the way you put it. He went from giving interesting and applicable background to explaining in detail what's going on, how it's done and the history behind it all. I mentioned it to my daughter and she said it was like he said, "I did this research and you're going to read it!" LOL.

I really like Greaney and have read all but his last one which I have but haven't gotten to yet... hope he writes more, LOL.

Chris Marshall | 52 comments I am starting Locked On tonight, and since it's a monster-length book, I'll check back in around 4-5 days from now LOL.

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, STOP 22 (new)

I'm almost to reading it. It sounds fun so far.

message 13: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 14 comments Thanks for introducing me to Greaney's Gray Man. His character is one of the toughest ops I have had the pleasure of reading. He fits right in with the stars of books by Flynn, Thor, Daniel, Child, Hunter and Baldacci's latest "The Innocent"-- which I highly recommend. I will be reading more in the Gray Man series. Thanks again.

message 14: by The Pirate Ghost, STOP 22 (new)

Okay, that's it...I'm reading this one after Deep Fathom! It sounds too good to wait any longer (almost done with Deep Fathom anyway.)

message 15: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Curmudgeon wrote: "Okay, that's it...I'm reading this one after Deep Fathom! It sounds too good to wait any longer (almost done with Deep Fathom anyway.)"

I think you'll really like this one, it's action packed.

message 16: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob wrote: "Thanks for introducing me to Greaney's Gray Man. His character is one of the toughest ops I have had the pleasure of reading. He fits right in with the stars of books by Flynn, Thor, Daniel, Chil..."

I'll check out "The Innocent".

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2542 comments Thanks Bob, I've been thinking of buying The Innocent...of course I'll check the library first, but I'm thinking I already did and they didn't have it yet, thus my consideration of buying.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3586 comments Mod
I just started this and I am finding it very enjoyable. I an envisioning terrible ways for Lloyd to die, and I'm only on page 104. Terrible of me, huh?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2542 comments We must all be ourselves....:)

Okay. Finished!

1. Plot/Storyline--Loved the idea of The Gray Man, and how he ends up being the target of some many folks that want him dead. It was great seeing him get out of that crazy situation.
2. Characters--Really enjoyed Court's character. Total bad*ss and also human and fallible. I liked his moral code.
3. Theme--Standing up for what's right even in the worst situations, never giving up, being an honorable person.
4. Action elements--successful or not? Very successful.
5. Overall thoughts on book. Rating out of 1-5 stars or 1-10? 4 stars

message 21: by Eileen, Always Beautiful (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I just started this and I am finding it very enjoyable. I an envisioning terrible ways for Lloyd to die, and I'm only on page 104. Terrible of me, huh?"

Llyod was one of those characters you wanted nasty things to happen to him. He is a well written jerk.

Yeah. I guess it was fitting how he bought it. I was hoping that Court would cash his check though.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Point of Impact (other topics)
Monster Hunter International (other topics)
Locked On (other topics)
The Innocent (other topics)