UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Welcome! Introduce yourself here - April 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 545) (545 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 30, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4576 comments Welcome to the Goodreads UK Kindle Group. We are a friendly lot here and there is something for everyone.

Please start by adding a post to our ‘Introduce Yourself ‘ thread. We are a nosey lot and would love to know who you are, what you like to read (and write), where you live and what you drink, eat, wear and grow.

This thread meanders off-topic quite a bit but as soon as a new member comes along our friendly but bonkers members soon appear to give you a warm welcome.

Of course you don’t have to introduce yourself if you prefer. You could head off to Meet The Authors, check out our monthly book selections. check out the New releases or play some Group Games

Watch out for a new quiz in April with amazon vouchers as prizes.

Even if you don’t feel ready to post something you are most welcome to sit back and watch the fun.

This forum is very lightly moderated (hardly noticeable), occasionally we will ask you to keep a particular thread on topic and we have a few simple rules about author threads and new releases.

There are plenty of ebook related threads, a wine discussion and a place to share your musical taste.

If you have any problems you can post questions on the threads, someone will come along and help. If you would rather not ask your question publicly by all means send a personal message (PM) to Patti or myself and we will try to help.

The plan is to clear the Introductions thread monthly to see if it makes things a bit easier for new members. Old Introductions can be found in the archive.
--------------------------------------------
test
--------------------------------------------
This is a bit random really but here goes....

I have been doing a bit of playing today and have been looking at F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Did you know he wrote four books :
Flappers and Philosophers
The Beautiful and the damned
Pat Hobby Stories
The Great Gatsby.

Next year apparently there will be a new release of The Great Gatsby on the big screen.

Why now I hear you say....

Well, it is 72 years since F. Scott Fitzgerald died, so his books have come out of copyright in the USA and UK (came out of copyright 10 years ago in OZ - but that is another story).

The first paragraph is :

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

Anyway, I got it off of project Guttenberg and turned it into an AZW so everyone could have a copy.

Somewhere near the bottom of the following web page...

Free (and legal) on the group link page

Or course you could get it for 49p at Amazon too.....

49p at Amazon

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Hi.

I like to read a variety of novels - funny, historical, romantic, crime etc. I write romance novels (and lots of short stories)

I live in England (South coast). It's a 'yes' to liking food and drink. My clothes are often purple. I grow flowers, fruit vegetables and herbs.

Gosh, you lot really are nosey!

Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher | 25702 comments Yes - but we're very friendly as well. Welcome Patsy! Do have a look round and join in once you have your bearings. We mostly hang out and chat on the Morning thread.

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Thanks, Gingerlily. Just starting to find my way round the whole site.

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7543 comments You get to be nosey back though so it's all fair.

IYA!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Welcome Patsy! If you need a helping hand, please just shout out.

Emma (Em or Emz) (emzibah) | 3910 comments Hi Patsy, welcome to our lovely virtual home :-)

Jess Mountifield | 165 comments Welcome Patsy, My clothes are often purple too, and black, I like black a lot.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1539 comments Welcome, Patsy!

I don't wear purple.

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi Patsy and welcome !

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments Whats IYA?

Welcome Patsy

Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) (Snibborg) | 5110 comments Welcome aboard Patsy. We are only nosey in a nice way. consider it interest.

Yes, what is IYA?

Kath Middleton | 16969 comments Hi Patsy - another veg and fruit grower here. Oh, and Kindle afficionado!

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Thanks for all the welcomes.

I don't know what IYA is either.

Kath Middleton | 16969 comments Hiya? Elle has per own personal dictionary!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments I know! It's this!

In Lakota mythology, Iya is a storm-monster,[1] brother of Iktomi the spider. He eats humans and spreads diseases, and uses heads as trophies. This fact, however, does not make him bad or evil; he simply performs a duty and is considered a sacred being. He is the eye of the storm, and offers protection to those caught in his wake. The tornado, the snowstorm, the hurricane or the thunderstorm would all be considered manifestations of this deity. He travels with his storms in a fabulous tipi painted with magical symbols, and when he appears, he is often faceless and formless. His home is said to be under the waters, where he resides with his mother, Unk.

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments Maybe it comes from having a letter of the alphabet for a name

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Or maybe Elle meant something else... ;)

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments I think it's possible she was just excited about Lakota mythology...

Philip (sarah) Willis | 4560 comments Hiya Patsy,looking forward to finding out even more about you and your books.Are any available for Kindle?
BTW I love to wear purple as well,my most recent purchase being a pair of purple boots!

message 22: by Elle (last edited Apr 05, 2012 01:46AM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7543 comments Iya = Hiya but cuter without the H!!

(saying it out loud people should of made it obvious!!)

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments Cuter? I do that to annoy people ;o)

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Iya to you too, Elle. (Is the name in brackets the name people like to be called? Should I have two names? I'm all confused!!!)

Philip/Sarah - yes I have a book available for kindle. Maybe I should set up an introducing author discussion - sure I saw something about that so will go look.

I WANT PURPLE BOOTS. I have dresses, shoes, skirts, coats, bags etc but no purple boots.

Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher | 25702 comments Yes please do set up an author thread so we can all go and have a nosey around your books :)

The names in brackets are nicknames and get changed quite often by some people. We usually call people by their main names. But not always... confused yet?

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Oh yes please do start your author thread Patsy. You can tell us all about your lovely book and we can discuss all things purple as well!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1539 comments I love mythology - though more the Scandinavian/Celtic mythos.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Yes please do set up an author thread so we can all go and have a nosey around your books :)

The names in brackets are nicknames and get changed quite often by some people. We usually call peopl..."

As a lazy typist, I use whatever is shortest. ;)

Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher | 25702 comments So I get called GL. Patti should be PP then!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments No she shouldn't.

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7543 comments Patsy wrote: "Iya to you too, Elle. (Is the name in brackets the name people like to be called? Should I have two names? I'm all confused!!!)

Philip/Sarah - yes I have a book available for kindle. Maybe I shoul..."

Elle is what I normally get called - Louise-Lesley is my actual name but it's long so people generally go for the short version :p

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Thanks for the explanation and encouragement.

Is there a way to get notifications of just the discussions I'm involved in? I'm getting loads and it's difficult to spot the ones I want.

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments There is a thread about that somewhere...

Kath Middleton | 16969 comments Untick the ones you don't want - below the comment box.

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Thanks.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Or go into your profile to set your preferences. You can get to your profile by clicking on your own name.

Patsy Collins | 32 comments Thanks again. Think I've worked it out - I turn off all the notifications and then opt in to the ones I want. I did have it set up to have all notifications on every discussion in the group and it was a bit overwhelming!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Yep, you've got it.

You may find this helpful too.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) (Snibborg) | 5110 comments Also, beware of D.D,, she will give you a nickname before you have time to blink.

James T Kelly (jamestkelly) | 6 comments Hello all! My name isJames and I'm a bookoholic. I'm afraid that I'm one of those annoying people who say they read everything, which really means I'll give almost everything a chance! I tend to prefer genre fiction, though.

Um, I live in Norwich, UK, I drink water because it's easy, eat pizza because I'm a closet ninja turtle, and wear lots of black because I'm colour-blind and don't co-ordinate well. And I grow ever more cynical, maybe?

Also, I'm really hoping that the "DD" Geoff has mentioned is Darkwing Duck.

Emma (Em or Emz) (emzibah) | 3910 comments Hi James, welcome to our mad little world!!! Have a look round and if you need anything just shout :-)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi James !

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments Welcome James :o)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 41934 comments Welcome James! We do have a few cartoonish characters in here!

Jess Mountifield | 165 comments Welcome to the group James.

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7543 comments Hi James!

I wear black too. But i don't have the excuse of being colour-blind :o

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 15852 comments I'm wearing black today but I have a pale yellow scarf with multi-coloured hearts on it. I don't like to be completely black.

Kate (sleepy kitten) (littlekate1) | 572 comments Hi James, I'm sure you'll get some great recommendations for different genres in this group, theres a good mix of authors and readers. As for drinking water because its easy... well its very healthy and I won't try and lead you from the straight and narrow. Although a caffeine filled ninja would be great (makes me think of the hyperactive squirrel in hoodwinked):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCjMR...

Karen (Kew) | 4038 comments Welcome James and Patsy!

:0)

Kath Middleton | 16969 comments Hello James - get stuck in. Many of us here are literary omnivores. You'll get lots of ideas from the Author threads and reader recommendations.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Tidings (other topics)
1984 (other topics)
1Q84 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)