Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > Do U read one book at a time or have several going at once?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 17, 2008 02:50PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11789 comments Do you read one book at a time or have several going at once?

I usually have several books going at once. If one bogs down, there's always another to rescue me. ;)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I have had 2 books going at a time but I actually like to focus on one at a time-I do keep a pile next to the bed....just in case ;)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 3977 comments I generally read 2 books at a time; one fact & one fiction. My 'fact' book at the moment is Sir Walter Scot's 'Grandfather's Tale' - his history of Scotland as told to his grandson.

I'm always reading other factual stuff, but it doesn't qualify as books. Right now I'm reading a lot about Veritas Backup Exec, Microsoft SQL server 2005 & MAS 90. Seems to be the month for wonky databases. (Yes, 'wonky' is a technical term...)

Nancy (NancyLynn) | 4 comments I normally read two at a time. Just like Joy if one bogs me down I switch to the other.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 18, 2008 07:07AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11789 comments Thank for all your replies.
I guess we're all "two or more" book readers.
Jim, I looked up "wonky". At Wiki, it said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"(computer jargon especially Usenet and the Hacker's Dictionary):
-suffering from intermittent bugs, broken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't wait to use that term when talking to my techie sons. Let's see what they say. :)

I remember when I was visiting my sister and several of her grandkids were in the room. I mentioned that I had "googled" for some info. One of the grandkids looked around and said: "Hey, she knows the word "googled!". It impressed him that I knew that word or even did that thing! :) He didn't think elderly folks like me could possibly know something like that. Thanks to my techie sons and husband, I do. Not much, but enough to get me here! (lol)

message 6: by Jim (last edited Dec 18, 2008 07:28AM) (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 3977 comments 'Wonky' really is a technical term?!!! I was kidding! Cool. Thanks. It's actually the perfect term, in this case.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11789 comments Jim wrote: "'Wonky' really is a technical term?!!! I was kidding! Cool. Thanks. It's actually the perfect term, in this case."

Jim, did you mean "is" or "isn't"?

Anyway, see: ====>
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wonky?r...

If it *is* a technical term, you should write to Wiki and tell them it's not just "jargon". (lol)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 3977 comments You said it was, Joy. I was surprised. I know it's slang that a lot of us use. I didn't expect it to be defined anywhere. I think it's neat that it is.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 18, 2008 08:45AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11789 comments Is a word that's "jargon", considered to be a professional word, or just slang?

Anyway, I'm going to start using the word "wonky" a lot. (lol)
I like it.

Cambridge Dictionary says that "wonky" means:
"shaky, weak or unsatisfactory" (UK informal)

We also use the words "mickey mouse", to mean about the same thing.
For example, "mickey mouse device", i.e., one that isn't really dependable.

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 18, 2008 09:14PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11789 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) asked:
"Is a word that's "jargon", considered to be a professional word, or just slang?

I'm going to answer my own question.

The meaning of jargon is:
"specialized technical terminology characteristic of a particular subject"
Found at: ====>
http://www.onelook.com/?w=jargon&...

So we can considered "wonky" a technical term!
Jim, you were kidding, but it seems you were right!

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread