YA LGBT Books discussion

Boy Meets Boy
This topic is about Boy Meets Boy
Book of the Month > April BotM - Boy Meets Boy *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaje Harper | 9941 comments This thread is for discussion of the April Book of the Month Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. This thread may contain spoilers.

message 3: by Thorny (new)

Thorny | 49 comments Not to be awful and starve an author or anything, but does anyone know where I can get Boy Meets Boy for less that the $9 Amazon wants and still get it on my Kindle? (PDF won't work.) Thanks!

message 4: by Kaje (last edited Apr 02, 2012 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 9941 comments Thorny wrote: "Not to be awful and starve an author or anything, but does anyone know where I can get Boy Meets Boy for less that the $9 Amazon wants and still get it on my Kindle? (PDF won't work.) ..."

Try the library - it's out in paperback and my library system at least has multiple copies.

B&N has used copies starting at $2 although with shipping that might not help much.

message 5: by Alby Krebs (new)

Alby Krebs | 4 comments I found my copy at the library. Our library has ebooks for YA m/m books, not so much non-YA m/m books.

message 6: by Thorny (new)

Thorny | 49 comments Oh wow. So very not telling my LIBRARIAN husband that I didn't even think to go to the LIBRARY to find a BOOK... O.O

message 7: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan (greendragon06) | 5 comments Has anyone else read this before and is considering re-reading it for the book discussion? I am a ya m/m junkie and just in the past two months have read two of Levithan's books, this one and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Kaje Harper | 9941 comments Dylan.kearney wrote: "Has anyone else read this before and is considering re-reading it for the book discussion? I am a ya m/m junkie and just in the past two months have read two of Levithan's books, this one and Will ..."

I've read it before - own it in paperback. I'm going to reread it, after I clear a few other things off my plate. My memory of this one was that I loved and didn't like it at the same time, so I'm eager to go back and pin down exactly why.

Elci   | 828 comments I read this before. I need to hit the library to borrow a copy.

message 10: by RJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

RJ (rlphjnmplq) | 2 comments Dylan wrote: "Has anyone else read this before and is considering re-reading it for the book discussion? I am a ya m/m junkie and just in the past two months have read two of Levithan's books, this one and Will ..."

I read this before and I've read it a lot of times. It's one of those books that I keep coming back to every now and then for a read. I love the book and I've read other David Levithan books (i.e. Love is the Higher Law, Lover's Dictionary, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and Wide Awake) but I think this is the best so far. I don't know, I guess it speaks to me in different levels. And it's hopeful at the same time.

message 11: by Kaje (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 9941 comments RJ wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Has anyone else read this before and is considering re-reading it for the book discussion? I am a ya m/m junkie and just in the past two months have read two of Levithan's books, this..."

If you haven't read The Realm of Possibility that one is my absolute favorite. Even though it is prose-poems, the first and last ones (two gay boys in love) bring me back to it over and over. And they all interweave, as the MCs in each of them know each other and live/go to school together. Very cool and beautifully written.

Brandon (bwilliamsreading) | 17 comments Dylan: Totally! I'm definitely rereading it for the discussion. I also really enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson. You've read what I consider to be Levithan's best two books. Although I just recently started reading Love is the Higher Law, and it's also really good so far.

message 13: by Kaje (last edited Apr 30, 2012 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaje Harper | 9941 comments So I finally reread Boy Meets Boy for the group - (wow, nothing like the last day, eh?) This book is typical Levithan. The romance is wonderful, sweet, tentative, with ups and downs. The characters are teens who seem believable and are young men you would love to meet and get to know. There is an optimism here that pervades many of Levithan's books (Like Wide Awake) - the sense of how things would be if we were just a few decades further down the road to acceptance. Not an absence of homophobia (for example Tony's parents.) But even they make small forward progress in the book. I sometimes got almost irritated with that utopian factor, because the town that would happily laud a drag-queen football quarterback without dissent doesn't exist yet. So at times the optimism made me not like the book as much because it pulled me out. But in the end, I love the characters and the writing, a lot. Even the present-tense narration, which I usually am not a fan of, was skillfully handled and contributed a sense of looking forward and anticipation. This book deserves its place on the list of Best YA Fiction with GLBTQQI themes / characters.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Boy Meets Boy (other topics)
The Realm of Possibility (other topics)
Wide Awake (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Levithan (other topics)