The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Ice Breakers > Common Interests ~ Bookworm Bonding

Comments (showing 1-50 of 176) (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4588 comments Mod
This is a place for us all to better know eachother - to tell your fellow bookworms/Austenian lovers about your obsessions (besides books!) and so find a common ground with those with whom you now share a special fellowship.

(I'm feeling a little Lord-of-the-Rings-y today!)

So here's my interests:

- Books (Duh)
- God
- Penguins
- Hot chocolate
- Lollies that taste like coffee but better
- Chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Cheesecake (yum!)
- Prince Ash (yum)
- My bookshelves
- Blogging
- Computers
- Goodreads
- Reese Chocolates
- Learning to fly (Well I would certainly be interested in learning)
- Writing short stories and hopefully (one day) a YA novel
- Sleeping in my bed BEFORE 1:00 in the morning
- Scented Candles
- Book vouchers
- Fae
- People's conversations (Especially on planes/other modes of public transport), - Just books.

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Hart (Nikkiboo14) | 28 comments Booknut wrote: "This is a place for us all to better know eachother - to tell your fellow bookworms/Austenian lovers about your obsessions (besides books!) and so find a common ground with those with whom you now ..."

interesting! i am interested in about half the same things u are! :)

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby (i3cats) | 41 comments i love a lot of those things 2. Especially Prince Ash!Haha!

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Hart (Nikkiboo14) | 28 comments Abby wrote: "i love a lot of those things 2. Especially Prince Ash!Haha!"

im especially with the reading!!! lol :)

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby (i3cats) | 41 comments me 2 who's not?

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Hart (Nikkiboo14) | 28 comments Abby wrote: "me 2 who's not?"

i dont know a crazy wierd person! lol :)

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Abby wrote: "i love a lot of those things 2. Especially Prince Ash!Haha!"

The things we base our friendships off, lol!Though Ash is always a good reason for anything!:D

message 8: by Zarah (new)

Zarah Thats a pretty good list. I love most of the things on it, especially Goodreads, coffee flavored lollies, anything involving sleep, and books, books, books. As an aside my husband works for a flight training program (he's a pilot). He took me flying on our first date. I was terrified. Not of flying, but of being in control of the plane.

message 9: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Sadie wrote: "Thats a pretty good list. I love most of the things on it, especially Goodreads, coffee flavored lollies, anything involving sleep, and books, books, books. As an aside my husband works for a fligh..."

At least the date was memorable!!

message 10: by Zarah (new)

Zarah Booknut wrote: "At least the date was memorable!! "

Well I did marry him. It made an impression.

message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby (i3cats) | 41 comments Booknut wrote: "Abby wrote: "i love a lot of those things 2. Especially Prince Ash!Haha!"

The things we base our friendships off, lol!Though Ash is always a good reason for anything!:D"

hehe. hes a goood guy

message 12: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Dear all,
My common interests in a short list would have to contain (as well as books!);
* Horse Riding - BIG equestrian, horse mad person!
* writing,
* dog walking - I live in the countryside & take part in many country persuits,
* shopping - I am a typical girl who loves fashion!
* collecting things; as well as books i do tend to hoard lots of stuff,
* crafts - i have always loved textiles and making things such as handmade cards & other items
* watching films & being too observant of certain actors
I hope that my list is not too long (and of course Goodreads should be included too!). Xx

message 13: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments My common interests are the following :
Books(obviously)
TV
Net surfing (mainly Facebook and Goodreads)
Movies
Hang out with friends
Playing pranks (even on random people on the road!)
Help out my friends with any problem
I care about my grades, that's why sometimes I do study hard (but I don't like it!)
And...and...I can't think of anything else now! ;)

message 14: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Oh oh..and I love sleeping late in the morning! I go to sleep late at 3 or 4am and wake up at 10 or 11 in the morning! hehe :D

message 15: by Lucinda (last edited Apr 10, 2012 03:25AM) (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Dear Rimpy,
I just had to say how interesting i found your list of interests and i would have to agree with most of them, except in contradictory to your last i would say that i am more of an early riser - it is probably due to working at stables for so many years that one gets used to getting up at 5 or 5.30, to then go to the yard & feed.
Lucinda Xx

message 16: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Hey Lucinda, its really a big "How" to me that how you get up so early in the morning?! Its a really tough job for me, trust! My school's from 11 and my mom can't drag me out of bed before 9! Seriously, how can you manage to wake up so early??!

message 17: by Lucinda (new)

When one has the responsability of animals (of any kind) then you have to be consistantly dedicated to spending the hours sorting them out, as i do with my dog or horses ectetera. If it is a job and the job description says that one has to be at the yard by 6am then that is what one has to do...but do not let this make you think that i would on a day off, no i usually get up 7am or 8 (so a little later during the week!). Xx

message 18: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Booknut wrote: "This is a place for us all to better know eachother - to tell your fellow bookworms/Austenian lovers about your obsessions (besides books!) and so find a common ground with those with whom you now ..."

Booknut, i would have to completely agree with...
all of it really! Xx (great list & very imaginative).

message 19: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Oh, yeah, I get that. Well, if you're so busy with all your work, how do you find time to read books? Wait, don't you go to school? If you do, then how do you keep up with everything?

message 20: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Isabelle (Potterwholockian) | 1415 comments Mod
books (reading)

day dreaming

watching television shows

message 21: by Lucinda (new)

I am guessing that your comment was implied for me, so i will tell you that i used to work at stables for many years but not currently at the moment (unless ocassionally at a weekend). I work part-time and study online at home and as for School...that was many years ago! Once i have got this extra qualification then i am off (i hope) to University, which is later than planned at 21 years old (I have been to 2 colleges after school, so spent extra years in education - a bit confusing!).
lucinda Xx

message 22: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments For Lucinda: Yeah, it is actually confusing. That means you're 21, right?

message 23: by Lucinda (new)

Despite being 21 most people think of me as not this age, as i certainly look younger & act it at times; but then again i can also act my age too! My education went like this;
* School - primary & secondary
* Equine College - 2 year 'National Diploma in horse management
* Normal College (2 years) - A'levels in fine art & 2x English (Literature & Language)
* Present time - 1/2 work (in a boring job but one that pays money!) 1/2 English A'level study from home - that costs a LOT due to my age

...we shall see what happens next! But i do hope then to study a full 3yr Journalism Degree and then be able to work in London with a magazine or newspaper company. Can you guess that i am a little career driven?! Xx

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 23 comments Lucinda wrote: "Dear all,
My common interests in a short list would have to contain (as well as books!);
* Horse Riding - BIG equestrian, horse mad person!
* writing,
* dog walking - I live in the countryside..."

Oh, I just saw that you love horses...I too am a big horses person ! I have two beautiful (if i do sy so myself) TB's

My list;
~Reading is a given.
~Horses
~Movies
~Surprisingly at the moment my Job ;)
~Goodreads...I am addicted !!
~Shopping
~Chocolate of any kind ;)
~Writing
~Peached Ice Tead
~Prince Ash.... ;) - had to throw that one in ;)

And thats all I can think of at the moment ;)

message 25: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Dear Lauren,
You are so lucky to be able to own your own horses as they are very expensive animals and i do hope one day to be able to buy my own horse, but i have 'shared' before & i am currently looking to share with someone; shared a gorgeous coloured Cob for a while and a Welsh X ID whom i miss a lot!
I love Thoroughbreds and i go regularly to ride & help out at a 'Racehorse rescue & rehabilitation centre' called Moorcroft, that is brilliant. Also, have exersised many point-to-pointers and racehorses (as when i was younger i was going to study a Foundation Aprentiship @ 'the British Racing school'; aka Jockey). Cannot enthuse enough about the breed + love equine books too!

Lucinda Xx

message 26: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Lucinda wrote: "Dear Rimpy,
Despite being 21 most people think of me as not this age, as i certainly look younger & act it at times; but then again i can also act my age too! My education went like this;
* Scho..."

It is very different actually..the way your education goes. The education system here is very different and organized. Its like you need a pass certificate to carry your education to the next level.

message 27: by Lucinda (new)

I am curious to know how the eduaction to career system is structured where you are & was intreguied by having to get a certificate.
Lucinda Xx

message 28: by Rimpy (new)

I am curious to know how the eduaction to career system is structured where you are & was intreguied by having to get a certificate.
Lucinda Xx"

Lucinda, I'm from India. Here education goes somewhat like this: first, you have primary school which consists of nursery, kindergarten, classes 1 to 5. Then comes the middle school which consists of classes 6 to 8. Then comes high school consisting of classes 9 to 12. Once you complete your high school, you carry on with your degrees or diplomas in college. You have to carry exactly the way it is organized. You pass one class you move on to the next one.

message 29: by Lucinda (new)

India - what a fantastic country to live in, sadly i have never travelled beyond Great Britain which is a shame as there is so much that i would love to see! Your education still sounds very well structured and, do you have any ideas about future studdies that interest you or careers or is that too far into the horizon yet?
Lucinda Xx

message 30: by Rimpy (new)

India - what a fantastic country to live in, sadly i have never travelled beyond Great Britain which is a shame as there is so much that i would love to see! Your education still soun..."

Lucinda, its no shame. I've also never travelled outside India and there are like a million places I wanna go, England being one of 'em. Yes, I do have my future decided. And that is not all fdar into the horizon. I need to think about it all the time. I'm in 11th class now. One more year to go and I will jump into my college years. I'm thinking to go for medical, as biology is my favorite. But the Medical Joint Exam is not an easy nut to crack. You need a lot of hard work to acheive that. If that doesn't work, I'll definitely go for an education regarding biology. That's the plan for now.

message 31: by Lucinda (new)

When i was at school i took a GCSE in tripple Science (containing all 3 of biology, chemistry & physics) and i enjoyed biology a lot. My mother & sister are nurses and the part-time job that i have is as a care assistant at a local hospital; when i had my interview for the job i was assumed as wanting to become a doctor or surgeon! It was because when i was at equine college i did a lot of anatomy & physiology, equine science and biochemistry. I do not see how horses are connected to humans but science has always interested me even though i am currently looking at something English orientated.
I hope that you get into a good college so that you can study something that you enjoy & are passionate about!
Lucinda Xx

Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ (Ruealwaysa1directioner) | 104 comments Hola peeps!
My common interests are....

- Books (Duh back to you!)
- Penguins
- Hot chocolate
- Lollies (SugarRush!!)
- Chocolate-covered coffee
- Computers
- Goodreads
- Reese Chocolates
- Learning to fly (I would be interested in this, too!)
- Sleeping in my bed BEFORE 1:00 in the morning
- Scented Candles
- Book vouchers
- People's conversations (its very easy for me to do this since I take public transport everyday!)

I also love ice lemon tea and milo!!!
Oh! And Rimpy, I was born in India!!!

message 33: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy (shylove06) | 512 comments Hey Rue, that's so cool! Finally a friend..whose at least BORN in India! ;) Really nice to know about you! :)

message 34: by Rimpy (new)

When i was at school i took a GCSE in tripple Science (containing all 3 of biology, chemistry & physics) and i enjoyed biology a lot. My mother & sister are nurses and the part-time j..."

Yeah, I definitely hope that Lucinda. But for a cracked person like me, taking up a serious subject like Biology is kinda weird. Glancing up at the syllabus, makes me think wether I'll be able to crack it or not.

message 35: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Dear all,
Everyone has such fantastic taste & Rue i love book vouchers because instead of someone buying you a book that you might not like you actually get a choice, and it is exciting being able to go into a bookshop with a voucher & have to choose something (although it is very difficult too!). Xx

message 36: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Lucinda wrote: "Dear all,
Everyone has such fantastic taste & Rue i love book vouchers because instead of someone buying you a book that you might not like you actually get a choice, and it is exciting being abl..."

I love getting book vouchers, that's what I ask for each year for my birthday

message 37: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Dear Isabelle,
I am so easy to please when it comes to my birthday or Christmas, as most of my friends stick to getting me either a book voucher or a token of some sort, which i always think is a fantastic idea - then you do not have to worry about getting them something that they might not like & making a mistake.
Lucinda Xx

message 38: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Lucinda wrote: "Dear Isabelle,
I am so easy to please when it comes to my birthday or Christmas, as most of my friends stick to getting me either a book voucher or a token of some sort, which i always think is a..."

EVERY Christmas, Easter, Birthday or Other Occasion:

Mum: Let me guess...books?
Me: Yep
DAY ARRIVES - every present is a book

message 39: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Lucinda *laughs* @ Booknut's comment and has to completely agree! Although her poor mother is pulling her hair out whilst falling over piles of books on her daughter's bedroom floor...
Lucinda Xx

message 40: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

I remember once my mom decided to not get me a book voucher and instead get me a book. She got me a star wars book which i read like 5 pages and hated it.

Rue~alwaysa1directioner~ (Ruealwaysa1directioner) | 104 comments Ugh. I hate star wars. It's irritating and overrated. Sorry if I have offended any star wars fans.

message 42: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Isabelle wrote: "I remember once my mom decided to not get me a book voucher and instead get me a book. She got me a star wars book which i read like 5 pages and hated it."

It can be difficult to guess a person's taste especially in books as it is something that is so personal. The other year as a present i got my mother some chocolates and then she explained how she was 'too fat' & did not like it, i also got her a top which again was not to her taste..difficult! Xx

message 43: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 11, 2012 04:46AM) (new)

true, that is why vouchers and gift cards as we say are extremely useful for a birthday present like money.
I always get my friends at school money as a present
You can never go wrong with money. (i think)

message 44: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Isabelle wrote: "true, that is why vouchers and gift cards as we say are extremely useful for a birthday present like money.
I always get my friends at school money as a present
You can never go wrong with money. ..."

I completely & utterly agree! Xx

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 23 comments you know its so hard to get book vouchers here now...half the book stores have closed down ;(

message 46: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Lauren wrote: "you know its so hard to get book vouchers here now...half the book stores have closed down ;("

That is terrible, as here in the UK not only do the bookshops sell book vouchers but also many other shops too, such as the stationary shops & some fashion ones too! They seem to be a very popular and universal gift. Xx

message 47: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new)

Over here in Australia the only book stores open are dymocks and in some places borders and QBD and a couple of random bookshops which used to be part of the company Angus and Robertson before they went broke.

IN most stores QBD and Borders have closed down like in Parramatta westfields. So now most of the time I borrow books off libraries or get illegal working, no virus causing e-books. Sometimes I borrow books from my cousin.
The only exception for buying books is new releases which there is a lot for this year.

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairelouisef) | 675 comments Isabelle wrote: "Over here in Australia the only book stores open are dymocks and in some places borders and QBD and a couple of random bookshops which used to be part of the company Angus and Robertson before they..."

Your in Australia too! YAY :D

message 49: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Claire wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "Over here in Australia the only book stores open are dymocks and in some places borders and QBD and a couple of random bookshops which used to be part of the company Angus and Robe..."

Me too!

message 50: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 1894 comments Claire wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "Over here in Australia the only book stores open are dymocks and in some places borders and QBD and a couple of random bookshops which used to be part of the company Angus and Robe..."

What a fantastic country to live in; i had no idea that you were all so far away. I think that for this reason the internet is increadible & to be given the oportunity of being able to converse with people that you normally would not.
Lucinda Xx

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread