Amazon Kindle discussion

Anyone addicted to having the kindle read to you?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (Ben21) | 52 comments I have mine read to me every night.

message 2: by Literary (new)

Literary  Chanteuse | 30 comments I had not idea it could even do that!

message 3: by Mahlon (new)

Mahlon (mahlon32) | 14 comments So do I

message 4: by Karen M (last edited Mar 31, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Karen M I let it read to me when I'm cooking or cleaning. Maybe that's why I'm reading more, LOL.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya v.e. | 235 comments i never have had the kindle read to me.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 540 comments Don't really use the feature all that much, but I do miss it on the Kindle Fire. I hope they add it in one of these updates.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jkinnj) | 2 comments I love the feature.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paula66) | 13 comments I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the voices in my head where with the audio men with squeaky voices do the womens voices. yuk
I listen in the bath in the car when I am cooking its great. I want to get the small kindle but I don't think it has TtoS on it. They don't mention it on the page at all.

message 9: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 15 comments Paula wrote: "I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the voices in my head where with the audio men with squeaky voic..."

You mentioned you want to get the small kindle. I have the Kindle Touch and it has text to speech.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paula66) | 13 comments Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the voices in my head where with the audio men wit..."
Thanks but I was thinking of the one below that. that is not touch.
What do you think of the touch??. I have bad hands and I thought I might bump it to much changing the way I hold it all the time. Are you enjoying it and have you had a kindle besides the touch to compare??

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 15 comments Paula wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the voices in my head where with t..."

This is my first Kindle. My husband has the Fire. I love it. I do accidentally touch the screen and the page turns. Sometimes I have to go back a few pages. This happened more often in the beginning. I love the eink. I like the Fire, but I do not like to read on it. Although, I do sneak it sometimes when I am going to bed after my husband goes to sleep to read my magazines! =)

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paula66) | 13 comments Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the voices in my hea..."

thanks for the input

message 13: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (Clare-Dragonfly) I like the text to speech but I don't use it that much. I'd like to use it when I'm doing other things I need my hands for--cooking, doing dishes, driving--but I never seem to get it loud enough for those activities.

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 42 comments I've never used this feature. I'm inclined to try it how, but I've never really enjoyed being 'read to'. Maybe I just like hearing my own voices in my head...

message 15: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 32 comments it sounds stupid reading to me. I love audiobooks but can't stand the robotic voice that reads slow, has breaks in the wrong place and speeds up in middle of sentence. ex. A dog ran (takes a big pause) acrosstheroad-really fast..

message 16: by Diane U (last edited Apr 03, 2012 06:59AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I listen to my kindle when I am driving to work alone in my car (hubby and I usually commute), when I am knitting and while I am quilting (I have to turn up the volume to be heard over the sewing machine). I bought an AV jack and I leave it hooked up to my stereo so I can use it with my kindle, MP3 player or iPhone. It is multi-tasking at its best!

It takes some getting used to the voice but I now call her my personal reader! Lol!

message 17: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Deb wrote: "it sounds stupid reading to me. I love audiobooks but can't stand the robotic voice that reads slow, has breaks in the wrong place and speeds up in middle of sentence. ex. A dog ran (takes a big pa..."

I use the male voice on the slow speed and I haven't had the problems you found. The only thing annoying is it gets "confused" with Mr. Jones who becomes M R Jones but I'm getting better at ignoring it. Oh, and another book had a charactor named Max which it kept calling Maximum every time there was a period after Max at the end of a sentence.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Boustead (ReflectionsofaBookWorm) | 2 comments I love mine! I can turn it on and then go do the dishes or any other mundane chore, I even listen to it while cooking!

Heather-
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.de

message 19: by Ben (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 42 comments Karen M wrote: "Oh, and another book had a charactor named Max which it kept calling Maximum every time there was a period after Max at the end of a sentence"

Haha that might make things more entertaining!

message 20: by Seawood (new)

Seawood I love it, I use it all the time. The one thing I can't tolerate it for is non-fiction whilst driving at night, which is a shame - the combination of monotone, darkness and boring motorway is just too dangerous after a long day. To be fair I have found I can't listen to BBC Radio 4 whilst night-driving either! I can manage a lively novel, though, having dialogue seems to make a difference. But otherwise I have it on a great deal whilst cooking or doing laundry. When you use it a lot you get used to the little quirks. I do wish you could skip forwards in the text without stopping everything, though - I quite often listen to eg Science News and have to stop to skip the enormous contributors section.

Maybe I'm just odd and puerile but I giggle whenever it swears, particularly hearing British English swearing in an American accent. :D

message 21: by Ida (new)

Ida Davis | 3 comments i have a kindle touch and i love it and i love the talkin of it too

message 22: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (Clare-Dragonfly) Karen M wrote: "The only thing annoying is it gets "confused" with Mr. Jones who becomes M R Jones but I'm getting better at ignoring it. Oh, and another book had a charactor named Max which it kept calling Maximum every time there was a period after Max at the end of a sentence."

Ha, that reminds me of when I was trying to listen to Persuasion. The main character's name is Anne, and the electronic voice apparently couldn't tell the difference between "Anne" and "an." It got confusing!

message 23: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 32 comments I took the advice of listening to the male voice on slowest setting. It seems to be a tad better. I guess it's hard for me to get into it when I have listened to professional audio books.

message 24: by Karen M (last edited Apr 04, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

Karen M Deb wrote: "I took the advice of listening to the male voice on slowest setting. It seems to be a tad better. I guess it's hard for me to get into it when I have listened to professional audio books."

It is a not good substitute for most audio books but in a pinch when your eyes aren't free but your ears are, it will do.

message 25: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I haven't been happy with text-to-speech, but I'm not an aural person (I'm not even much of a music fan). However, I would like a way to "read" when my hands/eyes are not available. Some of you have mentioned changing to slow speed, but I don't see a way to do that. I have a Kindle 3.

message 26: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 32 comments Betsy wrote: "I haven't been happy with text-to-speech, but I'm not an aural person (I'm not even much of a music fan). However, I would like a way to "read" when my hands/eyes are not available. Some of you h..."
How I am able to change mine is- I start the text-to-speech, while the kindle is reading a book to me I press the Aa button and it gives you options for slower, default, faster setting, pause or stop and switch from male to female.

message 27: by Veljko (new)

Veljko (_VxF_) I use it when driving - love it.

message 28: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) I love audiobooks and use them daily for when driving, cooking, cleaning, etc. And of course, I am an addicted reader and love my Kindle (e-ink over back lit any day). But I so rarely use the text to speech feature. The robotic voice really annoys me and I feel I do not get the full impact from the words I am hearing. That may be because I do listen so much. It might be that those who are not already fans of audiobooks could better tolerate the Kindle voice.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pittman (barefootdokusha) I use the text to speech when I'm working. It use to irritate me. Now I don't mind it. I listen to Audiobooks when I'm in my car using my phone.

message 30: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 32 comments It's starting to grow on me as well. I am using it for easy reads that doesn't require a lot of thinking like some cozy mysteries or chick lit fiction.
Does the iPad have the TTS feature?

message 31: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (Ben21) | 52 comments Nope, none of the tablets, or other book readers have it, only the kindles.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) The weird voice is kind of hypnotic. But the main time I use it is in the gym, and I usually turn the sound right down to zero and just let it turn the pages for me while I'm running!

message 33: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 84 comments I've tested it once a while back and I thought the quality was not as good as audiobooks but maybe I'll have to give it another try.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Oliver (Lisa_Oliver) | 5 comments Unfortunately the current Kindles available in NZ don't allow for the read to you function but I will be looking out for an upgraded Kindle when they finally reach our shores - I can imagine it would be really nice to sit back and listen to your latest book rather than have to sit at a screen and read it yourself.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (gardenclc) | 8 comments I love the TtoS on my kindle(took a while to get use to ) ..I just replied to another thread...I do not have a lot of time to read .it has allowed me to read alot more .. I read when getting dinner around ,doing dishes..getting ready ..I use to listen while i drove to and from work ..but i now work from home ..but I also listen when i walk ..my goal this year was 24 books, with the TtoS i am just a few books away from my goal..it really annoys me when the TtoS is disabled..i just read my first library book on my kindle ..and i had to read it ..and was panicked that i would not finish before they would take it away from me ..I did not realize the kindle fire does not have TtoS ..i just bought one this weekend for my mother

message 36: by Ena (new)

Ena (enantoiel) | 1 comments Rachel wrote: "The weird voice is kind of hypnotic. But the main time I use it is in the gym, and I usually turn the sound right down to zero and just let it turn the pages for me while I'm running!"

That's a very good idea!

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Deaton (LeslieDeatonBooks) | 8 comments Wow, I'm going to try it tonight!

message 38: by L.H. (new)

L.H. Thomson (LHThomson) | 22 comments It's an interesting tool if you're a writer, as if gives you a good idea of how your syntax would sound read out loud by someone else. Quite inhuman though, which I find a bit cold.

That page turning idea is quite nifty, Rachel.

message 39: by Sinuhe (last edited Apr 10, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

Sinuhe Tellez (dubyte) | 21 comments Paula wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Paula wrote: "I love the text to speech on the kindle which is strange because I don't like the audio books. I think the TtoS allows me to imagine the ..."

Hello Paula I like the kindle touch, but I was very happy with my kindle keyboard so in the begining it was a little difficult to use the touch. but after some time you don't notice.

But the kindle 4 (no touch) is lighter.

If somebody ask me which one is better the kindle 4 or the kindle touch. I dont know what to say, the kindle 4 has pros and cons and the kindle touch dont have all the features than kindle 4.

for foreign person the kindle 4 is cool the entire device is multilanguange and if you pick spanish amazon give you a RAE dictionary(spanish dict instead of new oxford dictionary).

the kindle 4 has a landscape view that is not available on kindle touch.

if you like the collections there are software that can help you to admin the collections like kindelabra, but kindle touch is not compatible to kindelabra. The last one is more technical. :)

message 40: by Darlene (new)

Darlene (dar49) | 18 comments I love the text to speech! I am able to read so many more books now. Small font in regular books hurts my eyes. Heavy books hurt my hands. Hence the Kindle! Mostly I use the male voice but there are the occasional books that need a fem voice. Sometimes when there is a lot of boring prose I crank up the speed. What a wonderful invention!

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen (thisbookends) | 20 comments Benjamin wrote: "I have mine read to me every night."

Don't you find that it continues to read after you've fallen asleep? I tried it with the user manual and fell asleep and it read to the end of the manual.

message 42: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (Ben21) | 52 comments Yeah it happens once in awhile, I bookmark where I start it reading to me, so in case i do fall asleep with it on, I got a starting point to start figuring out where I fell asleep at lol.

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen (thisbookends) | 20 comments That's a great idea. Just received my kindle touch right before Easter and love it.

message 44: by Damali (new)

Damali | 13 comments OMG! I thought I was alone in this, so I googled to see if anyone else had this addiction! At first, the voice was awkward to hear, but now it's basically my own voice reading faster than I ever could. And I can't stop!

There's only a select few authors where I would never used it, but everyone else is fair game.

message 45: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (GertieBird) | 3 comments You can do text to speech on Kindle if you get an app for it (I haven't tried it yet but am going to download it tonight).

Eg. Coolreader, but you have to download it from the Android market, not through the apps store on the kindle. http://android-market.co/applications...

Here is a video: http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keati...

I'm guessing there are other TTS apps out there by now too.

message 46: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Those of you who use TTS regularly, is there a trick to turning it off or pausing it quickly? What if you get a phone call while it's reading? It seems to me fairly clunky to have to click Aa, then scroll down to TTS to get to the Pause or Off options

message 47: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Betsy wrote: "Those of you who use TTS regularly, is there a trick to turning it off or pausing it quickly? What if you get a phone call while it's reading? It seems to me fairly clunky to have to click Aa, th..."

Hit the space bar - that'll pause it and you can press it again to start. I quite often have it reading whilst I'm cooking with the kids popping in and out of the kitchen; believe me you need a quick pause when the content gets complex or, er, inappropriate. :)

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Summers | 6 comments Thanks for the spacebar to pause! I needed that!
It took a long time for me to get used to the voice but know I love it when driving in the car. I have an audio cable that hooks my kindle to an adio input on my car radio.

message 49: by Damali (new)

Damali | 13 comments It's such an amazing invention!

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (locustmom) | 2 comments Does the Kindle Fire have text to speech? I think I could get into my Kindle reading to me! I need guidance with the tech aspect.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Persuasion (other topics)