One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
VR, BR, & MBOM Archives > The Picture of Dorian Gray (April 2012)

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya, dancing en pointe (new) - added it

Zakiya the Walking Butterfly (walkingbutterfly) | 3739 comments Mod
Have you already read The Picture of Dorian Gray? What did you think about it? One of your favorites, or far from it? How would you compare it to other classics that you've read?

If you're reading it for the first time, discuss with others as you read!

Livvy  (Liv_theabsenthistorian) I read 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' for the first time and in large I really enjoyed it. I thought Oscar Wilde created a real character that had a lot of backstory that you could get your teeth into. However my problem with the book was I felt it become too fanciful and extravagant, but I feel that only reflects Oscar wilde's own personality.
The story has a real moral and it was a really good book for me. Classics are something I haven't started reading until recent, so this was my first classic and I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
I would say that everybody should read the book, but it's just not one of my favourites because I could put it down and come back to it for a much too long amount of time.
However I adored Lord Harry, and the principal of influence that everybody is not free from influence and I think the book acts as its own individual influence.
I probably wouldn't read the book again, but I would definitely go onto reading more classics after my first foray with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

unread topics | mark unread