Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > May 2012: Mothers (Master List and General Discusison)

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Apr 17, 2012 09:24AM) (new)

Kathryn | 3382 comments Mod
Here is our list of books celebrating mothers.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 40 comments Yay! Can't wait to see the nominations! Sorry, I don't have any yet, I was just excited to see the announcement.

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Lee wrote: "Yay! Can't wait to see the nominations! Sorry, I don't have any yet, I was just excited to see the announcement."

:-) I think we'll have a long, wonderful list of books before the nomination process is over. Do check back, especially since you're an awesome mom yourself :-)

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 294 comments How about The Mother's Day Mice by Eve Bunting?

message 5: by ABC (last edited Mar 31, 2012 01:35AM) (new)

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 97 comments Owl Babies The mother only appears on the last page. Still, I feel it's safe to say the book is about her, as the owl babies spend the whole book missing her.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thank you so much for the great nominations so far! I am going to give some thought to see if I can come up with some to add, too.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) Mars needs mom, by Berkeley Breathed
I could not link this book to Goodreads becuase I could not find it.

My Mom Has X-Ray Vision

The Trouble With Mom

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Apr 09, 2012 09:22AM) (new)

Here are a few more suggestion to add to our list:

Heckedy Peg

Earth Mother

You and Me Together: Moms, Dads, and Kids Around the World (non-fiction, photography, by the wonderful Barbara Kerley who also did One World, One Day, which some of you may remember from a previous discussion)

Mama's Saris

Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere

Little Night

I Love You, Stinky Face

Cora Cooks Pancit

The Kissing Hand

Where's Our Mama?

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for the nominations. It is now time to VOTE!
Please make your selection from the books on our official nominations list, in messages 4-12. Simply list your five choices in a comment below, before April 17th. Thanks!

message 13: by Randie (new)

Randie D. Camp, M.S. (randie87) | 158 comments My votes:

In Our Mothers' House-even if it is not chosen, everyone should read this :-)

Mama Says: A book of love for mothers and sons

Where's our mama?

The trouble with Mom

What Mom's can't do

message 15: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks Abigail, Randie, and Dolly for voting! I've incorporated my own preferences and here are our winners.

Mama's Saris

Mama Says: A Book Of Love For Mothers And Sons

In Our Mothers' House

Cora Cooks Pancit

The Trouble with Mom

Sixth/Alternate:
What Moms Can't Do

I hope many others will participate next month, even if they didn't have the chance or inclination to vote. Moms are amazing and I'm looking forward to celebrating them with all of you :-)

message 16: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 249 comments These selections look great. I would probably overlook Mama Says: A Book Of Love For Mothers And Sons, since I have daughters. But it looks like it is a wonderful book.

And I would have voted for In Our Mothers' House if I could find it, but I'm not having any luck at any of the libraries I have access to. I surprised, too, because Patricia Polacco is a favorite of our girls' elementary school. I'm sure it's just because of the subject matter, but still, I'm disappointed. Perhaps we'll buy the book and donate it...

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Dolly wrote: "And I would have voted for In Our Mothers' House if I could find it, but I'm not having any luck at any of the libraries I have access to. I surprised, too, because Patricia Polacco is a favorite of our girls' elementary school. I'm sure it's just because of the subject matter, but still, I'm disappointed. Perhaps we'll buy the book and donate it... "

:-( I hope you are able to obtain a copy and it's so generous of you to donate it to your library after you and your girls enjoy it. Does your library accept donations and put them into circulation? How wonderful! Mine, sadly, does not--the donations go straight to the library sale. I can't count the number of times I've found a great book at the library sale that isn't in the library catalog. I'm glad I get the book, but it's a shame it isn't put into circulation, instead.

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

This is a new book, my library doesn't have it yet but gosh, I love the cover:

Meet Me at the Moon

message 19: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 249 comments Kathryn wrote: "This is a new book, my library doesn't have it yet but gosh, I love the cover:

Meet Me at the Moon"

That book looks so sweet - I just put it on hold as soon as I read your comment.

message 20: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 249 comments Kathryn wrote: "Mine, sadly, does not--the donations go straight to the library sale. I can't count the number of times I've found a great book at the library sale that isn't in the library catalog. I'm glad I get the book, but it's a shame it isn't put into circulation, instead.

If I just put our donations into the book donation bin, the librarians say they will at least consider adding them before putting them out for sale. But I think that more often than not, they are just sold. If there's a book I specifically buy in order to donate it later, I will find the children's librarian who is in charge of adding to the collection and ask her to add it. Usually the book is one of a series that the library is missing, so they are grateful for the donation.

message 21: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Dolly wrote: "If there's a book I specifically buy in order to donate it later, I will find the children's librarian who is in charge of adding to the collection and ask her to add it. Usually the book is one of a series that the library is missing, so they are grateful for the donation."

Oh, that's wonderful :-)

And, I hope you enjoy "Meet Me at the Moon"--my library doesn't have it yet, but I hope they will soon obtain it.

message 22: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (CrystalMarcos) | 477 comments Great list, I own Cora Cooks Pancit. We will enjoy revisiting it. =)

message 23: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 249 comments Meet Me at the Moon was very nice. I like that it talks about separations and the love that comes through even without being together. I leave for a business trip tomorrow and we reread the part about Little One feeling Mama's love through the warmth of the sun and feeling a sense of togetherness by seeing the sames stars. As we snuggled on the couch, I reminded our girls of our love and how much I would be thinking of them while I'm away.

message 24: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Dolly wrote: "Meet Me at the Moon was very nice. I like that it talks about separations and the love that comes through even without being together. I leave for a business trip tomorrow and we reread the part ..."

Oh, that sounds like such a sweet book! And I'm glad the timing was so perfect for you and your girls :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mother's Day Mice (other topics)
My Mom (other topics)
Mommy? (other topics)
Mama, Do You Love Me? (other topics)
Are You My Mother? (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Linda Ashman (other topics)
Kate Feiffer (other topics)
Kathryn Lasky (other topics)