The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments Is anyone watching this? I had my doubts about the premise, but since I like Jason Isaacs, I've watched a couple of episodes. It'll take a few more for me to decide if it's good or not.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 335 comments I have them on my DVR have not watched them yet, but I sort of like the premise, even though it sounds like it could be a bit confusing - I need to start watching these.....

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments I watched another episode last night. Not bad. Doesn't feel like an American series.

message 4: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (TiffaniPassportBooks) | 24 comments I quite like this show, in part because of the lead actor, Jason Isaacs. For the most part it is a standard police procedural, which I generally enjoy watching. Then there are these two other bigger picture plots - how to explain his two realities, and what (or rather who) caused the car crash in the first place. These two plots points take the show beyond the standard procedural.

message 5: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments I'm enjoying it. I love the concept. But I heard the mystery of which reality is "real" will be solved at the end of the first season. What will they do then? At this point that's pretty much the whole deal.

Merrill

message 6: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (TiffaniPassportBooks) | 24 comments Without the two realities the show wouldn't make much sense and as such I don't anticipate this show lasting for multiple seasons, maybe just one or two. And that's fine if it is well written.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard | 9 comments A nice twist on a police procedural. I like how the story could be alternate realities, schizophrenia, dream state, etc. Hopefully they'll carry this to a good conclusion and not try to milk the trope to death over several years.

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments I keep watching, partly because of Isaacs and partly because I want to see how the plots resolve. I'm with you, Richard. I expect a resolution - or an interesting, unexpected twist out of left field that might keep me watching.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard | 9 comments My fear with shows like this is that I get into the story and then the show gets canned. Like reading the first fifty pages of an intriguing novel, then someone rips it out of your hands. Better to plan on a specific run of episodes within a season, then write a story arc with a satisfying conclusion.

message 10: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments I have no problem with short series. Give me 10-12 good, entertaining episodes, and I'm happy. You don't need to stretch it into a long-running series for years and years.

If they make it a short-run series then I think it will be interesting until the end. But if they try to stretch it too far then it will likely become stale and boring. You can only have so many twists and turns with a show like this. Sooner or later there has to be resolution.

I'm still thinking the final resolution may be that both lives are fantasies. Both his wife and his son died in the car crash and he's unable to cope, so he retreats into a fantasy world. I could see this show ending with him sitting in a room in a mental institution, staring blankly at the wall, and the doctors saying, "Still unresponsive. He's totally withdrawn from the real world..."

Merrill Heath

message 11: by Aiesha (new)

Aiesha (BigTexasAJ) | 155 comments I'm watching this show as well. I wasn't sure about it at first but as soon as I watched the first episode, I thought it was pretty interesting. It also was easier to follow once I learned how to tell which "reality" he was actually in during that point of the show. I'm not sure how long this show will last... but as long as it has a good conclusion, that'll be ok with me.

message 12: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 05, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

aPriL does feral sometimes (CheshireScratch) | 957 comments I think the show is on the edge, so if you like it better get your friends watching it. I like it because it's very interesting to me, and the star is nice, but they are making a mistake by concentrating on crime cases without advancing answers or clues to why he's living in another universe when he's asleep. Instead, they have ongoing personal life strings without much referring to his split life dilemma. Instead of a cool scifi fantasy mystery noir or any of those it's become a soap opera primarily. The producers need to focus on the premise and less on stretching it out. Started out smart, but they are now going sideways into meh territory.

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments I agree that they're slow in giving clues to the sleep/alternate universe aspect. Maybe they're just exploring the idea of alternate universes. It is an interesting idea. I am drawn in by the story lines and characters, and I think the actors are good; otherwise, I'd have stopped watching by now. I have a "wait and see" attitude where this one is concerned.

message 14: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Oxendine (JJOxendine) So far I really like this show. I think the aspect of having his two realities is what keeps it from being boring.

message 15: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 466 comments Never heard of this show. Will look for it, but in the meantime can someone just tell me the time and channel of said show???????????????? AWAKE

message 16: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 3 comments Georgia wrote: "Never heard of this show. Will look for it, but in the meantime can someone just tell me the time and channel of said show???????????????? AWAKE"

Thursday's on NBC. Here is a link http://www.nbc.com/awake/

I am watching it and enjoying it. I agree with a post above that the premise of the show will not hold up for a long run. Already the mystery is being slowly revealed.

message 17: by Aiesha (new)

Aiesha (BigTexasAJ) | 155 comments Last week's episode was GREAT!! So excited to see how this all unfolds!

message 18: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (TiffaniPassportBooks) | 24 comments Aiesha wrote: "Last week's episode was GREAT!! So excited to see how this all unfolds!"

Me too! I suspect, however, the season will end with just a hint of what really happened. We won't get the whole story till next season.

message 19: by Faith (last edited May 17, 2012 09:20AM) (new)

Faith | 129 comments Don't bother - It was canceled. I'm very disappointed but not surprised; the ratings were apparently in the cellar. If anyone is still watching (other than me) the final episode is on tonight (Thursday5-17). I believe it's a two hour episode starting at 9:00 EST. I'm hoping we get a few answers though I expect they left some things up in the air so they'd have somewhere to go if they got renewed.

message 20: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments Well, I hate to hear this show is being cancelled. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get any answers since I'm sure they didn't plan for it to get canned after only 1 season.

Merrill Heath

message 21: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 466 comments Merrill wrote: "Well, I hate to hear this show is being cancelled. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get any answers since I'm sure they didn't plan for it to get canned after only 1 season.

Merril..."

Well, I taped the final episode last night not having ever viewed the show, but I will find out if I like it or not, the characters, etc. If so, maybe they will run reruns and I can DVR some of the episodes.

message 22: by Faith (new)

Faith | 129 comments My TV Guide had indicated that the finale would be a two hour episode last night but turns out they only showed a regular length episode from 10-11 and apparently the very last episode will air next Thursday at 10.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4428 comments The episode last night was good and based on the previews for next week, it looks like the producers had time to make a series finale (vs a season final). hopefully all of our questions will get answered- i really enjoyed this show.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard | 9 comments Argh! Too bad it got cancelled. Probably needed some space for a reality show. Can you have enough reality shows? (grin) or is that (grimace)

message 25: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 466 comments Grimace!!!

message 26: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments Ditto! Sorry to see this one go.

message 27: by George (new)

George | 16 comments Definitely grimace! I didn't know it had been cancelled. Sorry to hear that.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4428 comments Is everybody going to watch the series finale tomorrow?

Hope they answer all of our questions.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4428 comments Did anyone see the finale? What did everyone think of it?

message 30: by George (new)

George | 16 comments Rachel wrote: "Did anyone see the finale? What did everyone think of it?"

Will DVR it tonight (I'm in PST). Can't wait. Hopefully they tie some things together!

message 31: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1121 comments I did watch the finale, but I'm not sure I understood it. Was the whole thing just a dream within a dream?

message 32: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments I thought it was good. There were only about 4 ways to go with the ending. I liked this outcome. But I think it would've been funny if Toto had showed up at the end. ;-)

Merrill Heath

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4428 comments Scout wrote: "I did watch the finale, but I'm not sure I understood it. Was the whole thing just a dream within a dream?"

i interpreted it the same way-that it was a dream within a dream and that his wife and son were both alive.

message 34: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Oxendine (JJOxendine) I haven't seen the finale yet but hated it was cancelled.

message 35: by Richard (new)

Richard | 9 comments Felt a bit cliche to me. I had the feeling the ending hadn't been worked out and the writers had to pull something together quickly when the network cancelled the series. When I start thinking about possible endings, a dream within a dream seems to easy. I can think of a few possibilities off the top of my head:
Dream within a dream
Coma
Drug induced hallucination
Vision induced by a whack on the head (Wizard of Oz style)
Psychosis
Virtual realities (Star Trek holodeck style) -- either for the challenge, like a puzzle, or to solve the crime
Probing his conscious and unconscious for clues to crime (Fringe style)
Hallucinations brought on by torture (maybe our protagonist found and then hid the heroin)

Anyone else have some good endings :-)

message 36: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments I agree, Richard. I think they had to pull together something quickly since the show was cancelled. I could see the writers saying, "Screw it. The show's cancelled. Time to find a new gig. Just make it a dream within a dream."

I would've ended it as I stated above, where both his wife and his son died in the car crash and he's unable to cope with the loss.

I could see this show ending with him sitting in a room in a mental institution, staring blankly at the wall, and the doctors saying, "Still unresponsive. He's totally withdrawn from the real world..."

Merrill Heath

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4428 comments i agree it probably would have ended differently had the show not been cancelled after a brief season. i'm a sucker for happy endings so i was happy the wife and son were alive.

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard | 9 comments Yes, Merrill. And then how about a slow scan to his wrist and a close up of a green rubber band. Whoa. Has he had a mental breakdown and the rubber band is just something on his wrist or is he caught in one of the realities...

They really should ask us to write this stuff. ;-)

message 39: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments I like it, Richard. You're right, they should've consulted with us. ;-)

Merrill Heath

message 40: by Aiesha (new)

Aiesha (BigTexasAJ) | 155 comments I finally watched the finale and I was a little confused at first. I didn't like the way everything felt rushed but I was glad that the bad people all got caught and both of his beloved family members were indeed still alive!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread