Pump Up Your Book discussion

Q&A Pump Up Your Book Authors > Q&A with Pump Up Your Book Staff

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (last edited Mar 29, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Dorothy Thompson (pumpupyourbook) | 242 comments Mod
The staff of Pump Up Your Book will be here on Friday, April 27, 2012, all day long to answer questions from authors and writers about the book promotion business as part of their 5th Year Anniversary Celebration! Prizes will be given out at the end of the day.

More details announced soon!

Andi Newberry ~Tubbs Welcome!

Susan Spence | 1 comments Great, I can always learn more about promoting.

The chat is now open! We will be giving away 2 10-day blog tours plus a $25 gift card! That's three winners, all you have to do is leave a comment and you're automatically added. We will be choosing the winners through Random.org and will announce the winners on our official tour page at http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/2012/04.... This chat will start at 9 a.m. and end at 10 p.m. So bring on your questions and win!

Cheryl C. | 37 comments Mod
Hello all,

I was wondering how many of you have gone on a virtual book tour to promote your book. If you're a reader, do you follow virtual book tours?

Thanks.

Cheryl

Barry Eva | 2 comments I receivenothing but prasie from authors who tour with PUYB and appear on my radio show "A Book and a Chat" nearly every one who is a touring guest remarks how much not only they get from the virtual tour but how mucj they enjoy the tour. As an author myself who went on a virtual book tour with PUYB I can only agree with all they say.
Barry Eva (Storyheart)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 5 comments Cheryl,

I have a friend who does book reviews and entered me in a blog hop last month. It was a charity event. I gave away three books and only 45 ppl entered. I was able to get a list of all the people who participated in the hop with their e-mail address and sent a $5.oo off coupon to them, but no one has bought my book.

I've also done several interviews with reviewers, and gotten a few book reviews out. But the effort of tracking down these individual sites has not been worth the pay out for me.

Is there something more that I can do as an author to make these efforts more effective?

Is there something we as authors can do during the

Awww...thanks so much, Barry!

Can I help answer Heidi's question, Cheryl? Virtual. Book. Tour. It's our responsibility to track down these reviews. When you pay a publicist to book you on blogs, most just say review in a reasonable time. Reviewers are going to put those books in the TBR pile. When you pay someone to set up a virtual book tour for you, we confirm dates. Not to say something won't come up in the blogger's life - Internet down, etc. - but it's our responsibility to do everything we can to make sure that review gets posted.

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 5 comments Thanks Dorothy!

One other question: (Besides having a quality product and a virtual book tour) what would you say is the one best way to market a book.

Kelly McClymer (kellymcclymer) | 2 comments I have a virtual book tour coming up in May, and I've been trying to find out how to do my best job on it. What's the most important thing for me, as an author, to do during a tour?

Tracee Gleichner | 38 comments Mod
Hi all - sorry for the delay in popping in. So excited to be part of such a fabulous organization!

Heidi, adding to what Dot says, sometimes you have to decide what your time is worth--which you seem to be doing. Making a publicist responsible for being the contact, may be more cost effective in the end. One thing I think should also be considered is that online exposure isn't only about reviews. Having a blogger interview you or allowing you to provide an article on their blog is exposure too.

I'm not sure what genre your book is, but give that some consideration. Is it a genre that is hot right now? What are other authors doing in that genre from a marketing perspective?

I also don't know what you're doing locally for in person promotion, but definitely don't discount that as a way to attract readers. Word of mouth is very powerful.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Good luck!

Kelly,

The most important thing you can do to make your tour successful is be involved. Yes, a publicist is paid to promote your work, but you are an important part of the team.

Use social media, your website and/or blog to let people know about your upcoming tour. Email your contact list the day your tour starts, providing your followers with a link to your tour page so they can see your schedule. Stop by the blogs hosting you and leave comments. Bloggers like to know they are appreciated. Use social media to let people know about each tour stop once it's posted.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but an author who isn't invested in her career may flounder.

One other thing I could suggest is to take what you learn from your VBT and continue to use it. Look for guest blogging opportunities on a monthly basis to keep your name out there.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

All my best,

Cheryl

Andi Newberry ~Tubbs I am a quality control inspector for a blog alliance and I make sure that those who requested books on the tour post the tour.

Heide asked "One other question: (Besides having a quality product and a virtual book tour) what would you say is the one best way to market a book."

There is no one best way, it's a formula that involves lots of ways. But if I had to say, I would definitely answer that with making yourself visible. A lot of authors would rather write then promote, but if they had to do one thing, I would say join Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn (and sign up for the marketing groups, etc. there). Constantly blog even when you don't have anything to say. Let Google do your promoting by sending people to your blog and make sure you have your book cover in the sidebar and a link to where they can buy it. Write articles and syndicate them all over the place. You have to remember that when you're dealing with online sales, you've got to make Google your best friend.

The one I am promoting right now is a children's book, Royal Prince Vince by Heidi Angell And I find myself having more success marketing it "in the real world" so to speak! I have a Bachelor of Arts in Communication, so that is my strong point!

But I have definitely found that guest blogging, interviews, and writing my own blog get a lot of exposure.

What are your thoughts on book trailers? I have a friend whose publisher wants $9,000 in advance to pay for a book trailer. I did mine for free http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1kB4o...
(though it could be better, and a lot of people do not even have the limited skills I have!)

Another good suggestion I think is to sign up for Google Alerts and if you're looking for places to promote your book, put in words like "author interviews" "guest bloggers" "book promotion" that sort of thing. I get a lot of bloggers by finding them in google alerts using certain key words.

Kelly says "I have a virtual book tour coming up in May, and I've been trying to find out how to do my best job on it. What's the most important thing for me, as an author, to do during a tour?"

I think Cheryl covered it up there and I want to say something about an email list. This is perhaps your most important ally. But as an author, the most important thing to do during your tour is to each day send your stop's link through to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn (have I mentioned how much I love LinkedIn?), stop by and leave a comment thanking your tour host. I read someone's blog one day that summed it up nicely. She said imagine it's a party where you are the guest only the guest never shows up. Ouch. It's common courtesy too.

Yikes. That's crazy to put that much money in a book trailer. Are you serious, lol? $9,000?

Don't forget about Google Plus as the latest and greatest way to promote yourself and your work. Seeing as how this is Google's social media account it helps to bump you up on the pages when a Google search is done.

Oh Tracee, of course! Forgot that one!

message 23: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 27, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Heidi wrote: "Cheryl,

The one I am promoting right now is a children's book, Royal Prince Vince by Heidi Angell And I find myself having more success marketing it "in the real world" so to speak! I have a Bachelor ..."

Hmmm...I have a children's book blog. :)

I love book trailers. Some authors insist they help sell books, others not so much. The quality has to be decent. You don't want it to look like a 5-year-old put it together. I would never pay thousands of dollars for a trailer. I have seen spectacular trailers for only a few hundred.

I watched your trailer. It's cute. It's also a good length. A minute entices, but doesn't bore. A few suggestions, and anyone can feel free to chime in with their thoughts too.

1) The screens change, but the words don't. I find that very distracting. I would be selective about the number of frames used, then lengthen the time one frame is up if you're afraid they can't read the words in time.

2) There are no review blurbs. Perhaps you didn't have any, but I try to put one or two in mine.

3) It doesn't tell the viewer where the book is sold. Most will probably go directly to Amazon or B&N, but what if sales from your publisher's site pay a higher royalty?

4) There's no link to your website. Assume I am a lazy Internet browser. If you don't give me the information right in front of me, I am not going to go looking for it.

Have you been visiting schools? While I don't sell a lot of books there--because I can't talk about my Christian book in a public school--I have sold some. I provide workshops in my daugthers' schools, so many of the kids know who I am.

Hope this helps.

message 24: by L (new)

L How long does it typically take to plan a book tour?

Thanks for the pointers! I threw it together last minute to add a QR code on a book mark I was handing out at class readings (the schools won't let me sell the books there!) On the bookmark, I put the websites to buy it. But you are right, there are lots of other people who might see it on their own! I didn't have any review blurbs at that point. That is the nice thing about having done it myself. I can go in and make those changes! Thanks for the tips!!

I do marketing in schools, libraries, day cares and after care programs (to name a few) as well as any organization who works with kids. A lot of them don't like the idea of me selling my book at the time that I present. (I say present because usually I come in and talk about being an author as an educational package, not do a reading) but most of them are cool with me handing out my bookmarks, so the parents can go back and buy it later.

Love the information coming out here! It is great!

L wrote "How long does it typically take to plan a book tour? "

We can typically draw up a plan in a month but the longer we have means the more time we have to sift out the blogs that would be just right for you. As for myself, a good amount of time to plan would be two months but I've put a tour together in a day, just depends on how long they are touring. Also, it depends on how popular the book is with the reviewers. As I mentioned, I had a book on tour that took me actually 24 hours to put the tour together because of that awesome email list of reviewers I have.

Glad you're finding the information helpful, Heidi. You're doing a lot of the right things already, but persistence will be vital.

The challenge with schools is that many of them participate in Scholastic book fairs. Both my daughters' schools hold them twice a year. I don't know for sure if this has anything to do with it, but I wouldn't want an author to sell books at my school if it would impact book fair sales in which I could earn points.

It's an uphill battle when you're a small author up against the larger entities. That's why you have to keep promoting all the time or you'll get lost in the shuffle.

I have an appointment with my girls from 7 - 8 Eastern, but I will be back to follow up with anyone else who is interested in talking book promotion.

A shout out to my Pump Up co-workers: What are some of the things you've learned from coordinating VBTs?

Rebecca Camarena (topnotchwriter) | 5 comments Mod
Hello, my name is Rebecca and I have had the pleasure of working with some wonderful authors and their books. I have promoted a variety of genres and no matter the genre it's still requires an equal amount of promotion. I would tell authors never to give up on the promotion. Sometimes, there book might not be found right away, but readers will find you in time when they are ready. One of my blogs has a four year history in the search engines and I still see people searching for authors that were on my blog over two years ago. It's important to keep promoting your book and keep your name in front of people.

Margay | 6 comments I have a question for authors, like myself, who would like to do a virtual tour, but do not have the budget to do so. What are some cost effective ways they can get the word out about their books?

Becky you make a good point. I have the same thing happen...search results on the Pump Up site are bringing up authors that toured months ago.

Margay wrote: "I have a question for authors, like myself, who would like to do a virtual tour, but do not have the budget to do so. What are some cost effective ways they can get the word out about their books?"

Hi Margay,
thanks for joining the discussion.

Getting the word out about your books, is just that word of mouth that tends to spread on the internet. I knew a blogger once who was writing in a specific genre and she used to leave comments on thirty blogs a night and in turn those people would leave comments on her blog. She had a following in the thousands. I know it takes a while to introduce people to your book, but it does work.

Here's an interesting thing to do, Margay. Let's see..you write fiction right? I wonder how effective it would be to write up a prequel to your book...it doesn't have to be long at all and offer it for free at those places that take free ebooks (offer it at the lowest price you can at Amazon then take advantage of their freebie feature). I've seen lots of authors do this. This gives people a taste of what the one you want to sell has to offer.

Margay wrote: "I have a question for authors, like myself, who would like to do a virtual tour, but do not have the budget to do so. What are some cost effective ways they can get the word out about their books?"

Becky and Dot make good points, Margay. I always like the freebie idea because it adds reader benefit. Not sure if you would need to check with your publisher first, though. I'm guessing I would to be safe.

How is your latest book doing compared to past releases? All your books are paranormals, right?

Dorothy wrote: "Becky you make a good point. I have the same thing happen...search results on the Pump Up site are bringing up authors that toured months ago."

I am part of the Amazon Associates program, so I know when someone orders a copy of a book through a link from my blog. After all this time, the power of VBTs still amazes me when I see a book that has toured with us six months, a year or more in the past and people are buying it.

Cheryl wrote: "A shout out to my Pump Up co-workers: What are some of the things you've learned from coordinating VBTs?"
My goodness, the list goes on and one. Honestly, as much as I think I know, with each tour I learn more. The social media networks are ever changing and you need to stay on top of them to get the most effective tour. You also need to make sure you follow with hosts a few times to ensure that stops go up. I could write a whole article on how many things have changed from the time I started doing this until now.

Hope everyone enjoyed today's chat.

Margay | 6 comments Dorothy, that's a great idea! Thank you.

Dorothy wrote: "Here's an interesting thing to do, Margay. Let's see..you write fiction right? I wonder how effective it would be to write up a prequel to your book...it doesn't have to be long at all and offer ..."

Dorothy wrote: "Here's an interesting thing to do, Margay. Let's see..you write fiction right? I wonder how effective it would be to write up a prequel to your book...it doesn't have to be long at all and offer ..."

Margay | 6 comments Yes, Cheryl, my current books are paranormal. And I'm not really sure how my book is doing.

Cheryl wrote: "Margay wrote: "I have a question for authors, like myself, who would like to do a virtual tour, but do not have the budget to do so. What are some cost effective ways they can get the word out abo..."

Margay | 6 comments Wow, that's dedication!

Rebecca wrote: "Getting the word out about your books, is just that word of mouth that tends to spread on the internet. I knew a blogger once who was writing in a specific genre and she used to leave comments on t..."

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 5 comments Margay,

I am in your shoes as well. I have a blog http://anangellslife.blogspot.com/ where I talk about a lot of the things I have been doing. Hope it helps!

Cheryl, Thanks! Perseverance is definitely key! I spend one whole day each week on marketing, after three months of doing marketing every day! There is a balance between selling old work and making new work and I am trying to find it!

Becca Chopra (BeccaChopra) | 1 comments Sorry I missed your Q&A day. I look forward to learning more about blog tours and have signed up for your RSS Feed. And I'm posting an interview with Monica Leonelle, who just completed a very unique Blog Tour, as she shares what worked and didn't work during her tour at http://www.blog.IndieAuthorCounsel.com.

Barry Eva | 2 comments Cheryl wrote: "Margay wrote: "I have a question for authors, like myself, who would like to do a virtual tour, but do not have the budget to do so. What are some cost effective ways they can get the word out abo..."

I have a whole week long write up on how to promote your book on a budget there are so many simple things you can. Free radio shows, free sending pdf files to bloggers, free website crawlers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Royal Prince Vince (other topics)