Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2009-01 - Young Adult - What will you Read in January?

Comments (showing 22-71)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 71: by Sam (last edited Jan 27, 2009 04:26AM) (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 409 comments [image error] Finished Twilight last night and was pleasantly surprised by this book, didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did but I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I was 14 not 24. The characters were well written but some of the details were a bit much and the constant back and for between Bella and Edward of 'I like you' and 'I'm dangerous' did get a bit tedious. Overall though the storyline was good and once it got over the back-and-for stage it was rather enjoyable.

Ashley (angelashly) (angelashly) | 7 comments I read This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. Such a good book.
Others I have to read:
Gathering Blue-Lois Lowry
Someone like You-Sarah Dessen
The Truth About Forever-Sarah Dessen

message 69: by Sam (last edited Jan 26, 2009 09:10AM) (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 409 comments Started reading Twilight on the weekend and I'm already halfway through. Enjoying it so far although I do have one picky non serious gripe...if Bella had read or seen Dracula she would know that vampires can go out in daylight according to some myths...lol

message 68: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 3274 comments Mod
Jean wrote: "I read Airhead to page 100 and had to give up on it. Although the book delves into futuristic medical advances, it was very unrealistic."

Oh dear...
Jean, I see you've read the Narnia Chronicles & the first Harry Potter book. Would you be interested in reading the next Harry Potter books? that counts as YA.
Check out Marcus Zusak, I've only read one of his books (The Messenger) which was really good but I've heard really good reviews on the Book Thief as well.
Does that help in any way?

message 67: by Jean (new)

Jean I read Airhead to page 100 and had to give up on it. Although the book delves into futuristic medical advances, it was very unrealistic.

message 66: by Sam (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:08AM) (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 409 comments I've just got Twilight to read for this month, hoping its as good as people say it is. I read Stardust last year and enjoyed that so I'm feeling hopeful

message 65: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) I read Witch Child by Celia Rees and then followed it up with the sequel, Sorceress. Good reads!

message 64: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) read new moon

message 63: by Jean (new)

Jean I asked for a selection of a good YA book from a young lady in the library today. She suggested Airhead by Meg Cabot. I'm going to give it a try. What is the group's opinion of this book?

message 62: by Donna (last edited Jan 14, 2009 06:20AM) (new)

Donna (DFiggz) I am now reading Me Talk Pretty One Day because I lent someone my YA book Breaking Dawn

I just finished A Child Called It and is was terrifying. I also jsut finsihed Messenger by Lois Lowry and I thought it was very imaginative. I liked it.

message 61: by Sue (new)

Sue | 8 comments I am reading Under God by Toby Mac and Michael Tait

message 60: by Jean (new)

Jean My read for January 2009 will be Are You There God? It's me, Margaret.

message 59: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) But thanks. I looked into it and it is now on my Buying Book List!

message 58: by Tien (new)

Donna wrote: "No not that one. I am reading MEssenger by Lois Lowry "

oh! I had a feeling that you meant a different book after I typed the note, LOL!

message 57: by Julie (new)

Julie (scrapsofhistory) Since I teach at a High School I like to keep up on what they are reading. I read Twilight in December, just finished New Moon, and am flying through Eclipse right now. I think I fit this month's pick.

message 56: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) But I did read Zusak's Book Theif and it was great!! Maybe I will give that one a try.

THX!!!

message 55: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) No not that one. I am reading MEssenger by Lois Lowry

message 54: by Tien (new)

Donna wrote: "I finally got my books from the library and should hopefully start The Messenger by the weekend."

Oh, I really liked the Messenger (Zusak, right?)
I hope you like it!

message 53: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) I finally got my books from the library and should hopefully start The Messenger by the weekend.

message 52: by Cam (new)

Cam I've chosen
Anne Frank The Diary Of A Young Girl
I am really looking forward to it as it's made it to the top of my pile many a time only to be overlooked. No more excuses

message 51: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (bookreadera) | 22 comments My daughter picked "The Boyfriend List" by E. Lockhart for me to read for this challenge. I'll be starting tonight.

message 50: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) I'm in the middle of Witch Child by Celia Rees - and loving it!

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie (persephpom) I'm already in the middle of re-reading the Twilight series. I'm about to finish Eclipse and start Breaking Dawn.

I've also been meaning to read the Golden Compass so I may also try to give that series a go this month.

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ok I finished Blue is for Nightmares, but I am not really interested in reading the rest right now, so I am going to read the following:
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

and possibly re-read Speak.

message 47: by Tien (new)

Angela wrote: "Is there another thread that we post our reviews or do we do that here? "

Yes there is, Angela... Sorry been a little bit slack the past few days :p

message 46: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Finished The Second Summer of the Sisterhood. I gave it 3 stars but would have given 2.5, if I could. I think I'm done with that series - the girls came off as too bratty, I don't have a lot of patience with that.

message 45: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) | 129 comments A friend leant me New Moon and I have just started reading it and now realised its the genre for this month, so that's good timing. May move on to the Book Thief after that as its be on my TBR list for a while.

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela Is there another thread that we post our reviews or do we do that here?

message 43: by Jamie (last edited Jan 03, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Jamie Just updating my list:

The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives
The Sisters Grimm Book 2: The Unusual Suspects
Ella Enchanted
3 Willows
An Abundance of Katherines
Inkheart

message 42: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (georgiapeach8355) For my January pick, since they are the next 3 on my list anyways, Im going to read "New Moon", "Eclipse", and "Breaking Dawn".

message 41: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (ababaigalit) Well I just finished Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I gave it 4 stars an my review is the following: 02.01.09:
---------
A short and perfectly-voiced story of preteenage Margaret who desperately wants breasts, her period, to fit in, and to understand God. Caught between her father's mother's Jewish heritage, and her mother's Christian, Maragaret--who has no religion--is trying to find God, but speaks to him all the time. A brilliant and well-written (truly in Margaret's voice) story about finding identity and understanding the world and religion. I recommend this book for young girls from ages 10 to 13 and for their moms to read if they haven't already as a young girl.

message 40: by Nhemskie (new)

Nhemskie | 6 comments I'm on with Flipped and Eclipse this month... I'm wondering though if 'Kimchi and Calamari' is also in Young Adult category.

message 39: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 90 comments Hi, I was planning to see what the Twilight phenomena was about too - but once I started reading I was too hooked to do much else, so didn't quite manage to hold off until january, as i completed it today (Jan 1). Will now read New Moon Stephanie Meyer (2nd in the series).

message 38: by Tien (new)

Rachel, yes, Nancy Drew counts as YA

Joanie, as long as you read most of the book in Jan, it's fine :)

message 37: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 61 comments This is my first time really planning my books out. Do they still count if I started them in December but didn't finish until January? I'm currently reading Tweak and Little Women and won't have them finished before tomorrow, I'm not even halfway through either. Will those count?

With or without those two I'm also going to shoot for

Twilight (feel like the only person on the planet not to read these yet!)
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (was supposed to read for this month but I'm seriously behind!)

Maybe Uglies too but I'm not sure.

message 36: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 43 comments I love Nancy Drew! I would like to read some of those books again!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Would Nancy Drew count as YA? Just wondering as I got hold of a couple of 1930s NDs and was planning on reading one next month. That way I could kill two birds with one stone :)

Ooh, I have What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn sitting on my bookcase - I borrowed it from the library last week - and that appears to be YA. I can read that if Nancy Drew doesn't count!

message 34: by Angela (last edited Dec 28, 2008 03:15PM) (new)

Angela The Book Thief
Sweet Far Thing
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
The Third Summmer of the Sisterhood
Twilight
Little Women

(all will fit in the Winter Challenge in TNBBC!!)
I was not active in December, but plan to be more active in January :)

message 33: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Might have done when I was a kid. But will re-read them for Janauary as I am recuperating from the operation on 8th January.

message 32: by Tien (last edited Dec 28, 2008 01:09AM) (new)

Fiona wrote: "Karen, when you get a moment, can you check my list and see if they are ok please?

Thanks xx"

I couldn't find the following on GR so I can't tell you:
Bratz: Pixie Power
Anytime Tales - Enid Blyton

The following are found on childrens shelves but not on young adult - so won't apply for January:
Adolphus Tips - Michael Morpurgo
Hello Mr Twiddle - Enid Blyton – childrens
Adventures of Willow Farm - Enid Blyton

The rest of them are okay :)

Btw: I couldn't tell from your shelf but What Katy Did Next? is the third book in the series - have you read the first 2?

message 31: by Muriel (new)

Muriel (spaceyplum) I just purchased A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson so I'll definitely pick that one up in January and perhaps I'll also read Rebel Angels by Libba Bray since I'm currently reading the first in the series.

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kate and E, the Book Thief is a wonderful book! I hope you both enjoy it!

message 28: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Karen, when you get a moment, can you check my list and see if they are ok please?

Thanks xx

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 271 comments I had already decided to read through the Harry Potter series this summer now that most of the hype has died down. I've already done the first two so I'll see how far I get with the rest this Jan.

message 26: by Sonja (last edited Dec 25, 2008 01:09AM) (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) So I've got a bunch of these lined up... some sitting over from the Xmas Day challenge...

Currently I really want to read The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing and The Looking Glass Wars. Plus, I've had 3 Willows sitting in my TBR pile for a while... didn't realize it was YA. OOOO, also really want to read The Book Thief.

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Dec 28, 2008 05:44AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch)
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
The Wizard of Oz - Frank L. Baum
Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
Watership Down - Richard Adams
What Katy Did Next? - Susan Coolidge
Little Women - Louisa M. Alcott
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Goodnight Mister Tom - Michelle Magorian

If any of these are not YA, let me know and I will remove them.

Thanks

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am excited too, umm let me see. I am currently reading Wrinkle in Time and Blue is for Nightmares, so I may finish those off, but I also would like to check out some John Green, because I have been seeing/hearing about his books. I guess I will take a trip to the library after Christmas and see what I come up with.

message 23: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
I'm glad everyone is excited for YA in January! Although I feel a little guilty about picking something that is really one of my preferred genre. It seems a little too easy in a group where we are SUPPOSED to be stretching our reading to OTHER genres we might not read on our own. :) That said, I'm excited to read some YA from my TBR list that I have really been meaning to read, but haven't been able to squeeze in yet:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Looking for Alaska by John Green

message 22: by Mita (new)

Mita (MitaB) | 104 comments What a fantastic choice of genre! I'm like a kid in a candy shop on Christmas!!

I am going to try to read His Dark Materials, but will definitely be reading more YA books on the side!

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sweet Far Thing (other topics)
Wildwood Dancing (other topics)
Brisingr (other topics)
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (other topics)
Eclipse (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurie Halse Anderson (other topics)
Markus Zusak (other topics)
J.D. Salinger (other topics)
John Green (other topics)