Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2009-01 - Young Adult - What will you Read in January?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2731 comments Mod
Our Shelf for 1st month of 2009 is Young Adult. Thanks to Luann, our Shelf Picker for January.

The link below will take you directly to the Young Adult shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

Please share book/s you're planning to read from this shelf

Lynlee4 | 134 comments cool! one of my favorites! Thanks Luann :)

Christina (incandescence) | 14 comments One my favourites also! Excellent choice :)

Kellie (acountkel) | 9 comments The Book Thief.
I have to read it for my bookclub at some point.

Lynai The Book Thief for me too...
I'm way behind others on this book.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) I have read The Book Thief this year, will see what else I can read.

Sunflower | 174 comments Aha, now this is a category I usually avoid, so this will be a good exercise for me. Have got "Twilight" sitting waiting, so finally I'll find out what the fuss is all about.

message 8: by Terri (last edited Dec 17, 2008 08:34AM) (new)

Terri (TerriSA-UK) Ok, I might try The Book Thief as well ... I read the first chapter or so earlier this year and wasn't grabbed by it, so not sure ...

Oh, and maybe Holes as well - have that on my mount TBR!

Jen B (jennybee618) I have The Book Thief sitting on my shelf at home, so this will be a good opportunity to read it. I've also heard a lot about A Great and Terrible Beauty, so I might try that one if I can get a copy (I'm trying not to buy new books!)

I recommend both Speak and Stargirl to anyone looking for good ones...those are two of my YA favorites.

Donna (DFiggz) I have read quite a few but I think for Jan I am gonna go with
1- The Messanger - Lois Lowry
2- Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyer

Lauren | 247 comments I am going to take the plunge and start in on the Twilight series. My husband bought the boxed set.

Jamie Good choice for January! I don't know what I'll actually get accomplished, since I've been having the hardest time finding a moment to read now that I've started a new job, but I'd really like to read Ella Enchanted, Inkheart, 3 Willows, and The Sisters Grimm. I'm also planning to read Twilight again, but I won't count it here since I just read it a month or so ago.

I'd really like to pick up Wildwood Dancing which has been sitting on my shelf for a few months.

I might also pick up The Sweet Far Thing as I've read the first 2 this month.

And... if I get to it (I probably won't) Brisingr is way overdue to be read.

Southernbelle0326 | 20 comments Yah for YA. I am excited about reading TWILIGHT and might read some other ones in that genre. More later.

Hubert (igoodreads) | 1 comments YA fiction is my love,too. Support it!

Judith Kristen (JudithKristen) | 1 comments Hubert wrote: "YA fiction is my love,too. Support it!"

Well, I would like to tell you about a book that I wrote and was a best-seller down at the Jersey Shore for 2007. I sold about 10,000 books there! (amazes me still)
It's called "The Light and Dark Side of Seventeen" ... many schools are taking a shine to it because of its roots. Based in 1959 at the Jersey shore it's the story of 2 teenage girls who experienced horrible tragedies in their lives. One has a strong support system, (to help her through it) the other has no one and nothing left in her life but imagination - born out of necessity - to see her through the pain. The story is about how they meet, their genuine friendship and the scary things that happen when we allow the lines of truth and reality to blur. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I really think you'll like it.

Julianne | 42 comments So, I'm going to use this as an excuse to finish 2 series I'm in the middle of:

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Rebel Angels and A Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Melissa (Melitious) I'm thinking about finishing Eclipse, then reading The Princess Diaries and The Sweet Far Thing.

message 19: by Janis (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:41AM) (new)

Janis Nicolle (janisnicolle) | 3 comments i am now reading the twilight so I will go for the new moon and probaly read some harry potter to my son....Does that still count for a read???

Avigail (ababaigalit) Well I love the young adult genre. Well I have four books in my TBR list that are a good potencial to read next months. The list is the following:
1.Eclipse
2.Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
3. The Catcher in the Rye
4.The Second Summer of the Sisterhood

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Yay! I am excited for this one. Sorry I haven't been really active, but I've just been soo busy lately. I'm starting up agian.

Mita (MitaB) | 104 comments What a fantastic choice of genre! I'm like a kid in a candy shop on Christmas!!

I am going to try to read His Dark Materials, but will definitely be reading more YA books on the side!

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
I'm glad everyone is excited for YA in January! Although I feel a little guilty about picking something that is really one of my preferred genre. It seems a little too easy in a group where we are SUPPOSED to be stretching our reading to OTHER genres we might not read on our own. :) That said, I'm excited to read some YA from my TBR list that I have really been meaning to read, but haven't been able to squeeze in yet:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Looking for Alaska by John Green

Vicki I am excited too, umm let me see. I am currently reading Wrinkle in Time and Blue is for Nightmares, so I may finish those off, but I also would like to check out some John Green, because I have been seeing/hearing about his books. I guess I will take a trip to the library after Christmas and see what I come up with.

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Dec 28, 2008 05:44AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch)
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
The Wizard of Oz - Frank L. Baum
Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
Watership Down - Richard Adams
What Katy Did Next? - Susan Coolidge
Little Women - Louisa M. Alcott
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Goodnight Mister Tom - Michelle Magorian

If any of these are not YA, let me know and I will remove them.

Thanks

message 26: by Sonja (last edited Dec 25, 2008 01:09AM) (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) So I've got a bunch of these lined up... some sitting over from the Xmas Day challenge...

Currently I really want to read The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing and The Looking Glass Wars. Plus, I've had 3 Willows sitting in my TBR pile for a while... didn't realize it was YA. OOOO, also really want to read The Book Thief.

Sarah | 241 comments I had already decided to read through the Harry Potter series this summer now that most of the hype has died down. I've already done the first two so I'll see how far I get with the rest this Jan.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Karen, when you get a moment, can you check my list and see if they are ok please?

Thanks xx

Vicki Kate and E, the Book Thief is a wonderful book! I hope you both enjoy it!

Muriel (spaceyplum) I just purchased A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson so I'll definitely pick that one up in January and perhaps I'll also read Rebel Angels by Libba Bray since I'm currently reading the first in the series.

message 32: by Tien (last edited Dec 28, 2008 01:09AM) (new)

Fiona wrote: "Karen, when you get a moment, can you check my list and see if they are ok please?

Thanks xx"

I couldn't find the following on GR so I can't tell you:
Bratz: Pixie Power
Anytime Tales - Enid Blyton

The following are found on childrens shelves but not on young adult - so won't apply for January:
Adolphus Tips - Michael Morpurgo
Hello Mr Twiddle - Enid Blyton – childrens
Adventures of Willow Farm - Enid Blyton

The rest of them are okay :)

Btw: I couldn't tell from your shelf but What Katy Did Next? is the third book in the series - have you read the first 2?

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Might have done when I was a kid. But will re-read them for Janauary as I am recuperating from the operation on 8th January.

message 34: by Angela (last edited Dec 28, 2008 03:15PM) (new)

Angela The Book Thief
Sweet Far Thing
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
The Third Summmer of the Sisterhood
Twilight
Little Women

(all will fit in the Winter Challenge in TNBBC!!)
I was not active in December, but plan to be more active in January :)

Rachel Brand Would Nancy Drew count as YA? Just wondering as I got hold of a couple of 1930s NDs and was planning on reading one next month. That way I could kill two birds with one stone :)

Ooh, I have What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn sitting on my bookcase - I borrowed it from the library last week - and that appears to be YA. I can read that if Nancy Drew doesn't count!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 43 comments I love Nancy Drew! I would like to read some of those books again!

Joanie | 61 comments This is my first time really planning my books out. Do they still count if I started them in December but didn't finish until January? I'm currently reading Tweak and Little Women and won't have them finished before tomorrow, I'm not even halfway through either. Will those count?

With or without those two I'm also going to shoot for

Twilight (feel like the only person on the planet not to read these yet!)
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (was supposed to read for this month but I'm seriously behind!)

Maybe Uglies too but I'm not sure.

Rachel, yes, Nancy Drew counts as YA

Joanie, as long as you read most of the book in Jan, it's fine :)

Cathy | 90 comments Hi, I was planning to see what the Twilight phenomena was about too - but once I started reading I was too hooked to do much else, so didn't quite manage to hold off until january, as i completed it today (Jan 1). Will now read New Moon Stephanie Meyer (2nd in the series).

Nhemskie | 6 comments I'm on with Flipped and Eclipse this month... I'm wondering though if 'Kimchi and Calamari' is also in Young Adult category.

Avigail (ababaigalit) Well I just finished Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I gave it 4 stars an my review is the following: 02.01.09:
---------
A short and perfectly-voiced story of preteenage Margaret who desperately wants breasts, her period, to fit in, and to understand God. Caught between her father's mother's Jewish heritage, and her mother's Christian, Maragaret--who has no religion--is trying to find God, but speaks to him all the time. A brilliant and well-written (truly in Margaret's voice) story about finding identity and understanding the world and religion. I recommend this book for young girls from ages 10 to 13 and for their moms to read if they haven't already as a young girl.

Trisha (georgiapeach8355) For my January pick, since they are the next 3 on my list anyways, Im going to read "New Moon", "Eclipse", and "Breaking Dawn".

message 43: by Jamie (last edited Jan 03, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Jamie Just updating my list:

The Sisters Grimm Book 1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives
The Sisters Grimm Book 2: The Unusual Suspects
Ella Enchanted
3 Willows
An Abundance of Katherines
Inkheart

Angela Is there another thread that we post our reviews or do we do that here?

Leonie (leo23) | 129 comments A friend leant me New Moon and I have just started reading it and now realised its the genre for this month, so that's good timing. May move on to the Book Thief after that as its be on my TBR list for a while.

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Finished The Second Summer of the Sisterhood. I gave it 3 stars but would have given 2.5, if I could. I think I'm done with that series - the girls came off as too bratty, I don't have a lot of patience with that.

Angela wrote: "Is there another thread that we post our reviews or do we do that here? "

Yes there is, Angela... Sorry been a little bit slack the past few days :p

Vicki Ok I finished Blue is for Nightmares, but I am not really interested in reading the rest right now, so I am going to read the following:
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

and possibly re-read Speak.

Angie (persephpom) I'm already in the middle of re-reading the Twilight series. I'm about to finish Eclipse and start Breaking Dawn.

I've also been meaning to read the Golden Compass so I may also try to give that series a go this month.

Terri (TerriSA-UK) I'm in the middle of Witch Child by Celia Rees - and loving it!

« previous 1