Old Books, New Readers discussion

Series > The Lord of the Rings

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3116 comments Mod
Need I say more? What do you love about them? Who was your favorite charter? How often to you read them?

Alyssa (Lyss) (Lyss4Music) | 30 comments I haven't read the books yet (I'm too impatient and I don't have the time) but I vagulely remember watching the movies long, long ago.

message 3: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

The books are a hundred times better! The movies are true and capture the feel and important parts of the book. They do an excellent job of keeping true to the story line, but the books are so much more complex they could never hope to get all that in a movie.

The language is so different than anything I have ever read. And there is also Tom Bombadil who was completely cut out of the movie, but who is remarkable charter.

Haley | 707 comments These are the only books made into movies where I love the books and movies equally. Yes, the movies left things out, but they are so freaking good!! And, of course, the books are amazing as well.

message 5: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

I read the book and think "Oh the movies left so much out" then I watch the movies and think "OMG they are so good they got so much into it!". SO I am happy with both and I don't have to think of the books and the movie and two different things like I usually do.

Haley | 707 comments I'm so glad someone else thinks that! (BTW I just laughed out loud at that comment, because that's exactly how I think)

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) Me too!!!
Umm, I read them about once a year cover to cover...but skim through them about monthly.
In both the book and movie...my favorite character is Legolas. ;)

Haley | 707 comments Really? I think I'm a little put off by the fact that Orlando Bloom plays him :D Though he does play him well. Aragorn is my favorite, hands down!

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) I know...but like you said, he does to a good job. a friend of mine pretended to swoon when she saw him but I just snorted at her. When she asked my if I thought he was hot, I said, "Anyone who sounds like a girl is not hot in my book." lol ;)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Aragorn, too, Haley. ;) He's so mysterious.

message 11: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Tabi (Ron Paul 2012) wrote: "I know...but like you said, he does to a good job. a friend of mine pretended to swoon when she saw him but I just snorted at her. When she asked my if I thought he was hot, I said, "Anyone who sou..."

Hahahaha! I really like Orlando Bloom and thought he did a really good job. Sam is my favorite charter but my favorite action charter is Boromir. I was so sad that you don't really get to know Boromir until after he already died.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yeah, and I think Orlando Bloom did a good job being Will in Pirates of the Caribbean as well.

Haley | 707 comments I definitely think he's a good actor. Sometimes I just have a hard time taking him seiously. I've never not liked him in a role, though

message 14: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (last edited Apr 30, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Yeah I have a hard time taking him seriously. He is just too much of a pretty boy. But I always think he does a good job. I just cannot get over how lucky he is. To go straight from Acting school to landing a role in LOTR's for his first movie. Then going on to became pretty famous and making lots of movies! Unbelievable.

Talia (taliafrench) So much fun to read these books, even though sometimes I got a little weighed down by Tolkien's ability to spend three pages describing a rock (the trek across Mordor was horrible for me). I love Gandalf and Aragorn, as well as their story lines. My favorite relationship in the books is Legolas and Gimli. I was so sad to see how that was diminished in the movies.

Haley | 707 comments Oh, I didn't think it was diminished in the movies! I saw the movies before I read the books, and I loved Legolas and Gimli together. I totally got the feel for their unexpected friendship. I enjoyed how they made war a game by counting how many people they killed and trying to one-up each other

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here, Haley. I get such a kick out of those two trying to one-up each other. Reminds me of this quote:

Gimli: (kills orc) Legolas! Two already!
Legolas: I'm on seventeen!

LOL.

Oh, and that reminds me...
Remember that part there in one of the movies where Legolas and Gimli have a beer-drinking contest? Oh, boy, that was so funny. And in the very end, Legolas says he feels that the beer is affecting him, and Gimli laughs at him and says, "Just like an elf! He can't take his liquor." But right after he says that, Gimli passes out. LOLOL. And, of course, you know why he passes out...he has this gigantic pile of empty beer mugs in front of him...while Legolas only has a small handful. LOLOL. ;)

Talia (taliafrench) I just felt that the deeper part of their friendship where they talk about each other's values and make a pact to travel together to see each other's special places gets completely left out. I appreciated how much deeper their relationship went besides just the killing contest.

message 19: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Yes they'er relationship was deeper and I wish they had added the conversation where Gimli and Legolas talk about coming home through Fagorn Forest and seeing the glittering caves together. But PJ did a good job with what he had.

I read the "Return of the King" on a 52 hour car ride. And when I came to the part with them walking through Mordor I became so thirsty I drank three water bottles and had to go to the restroom so badly!!!

Something else I really loved about the book is how Aragorn and Arwen are in love but there is only one scene where they are together and that is in the middle of a party and you don't know what they said together. But somehow you still know they are very deeply in love. I am still trying to figure out how Tolkien pulled that off.

Talia (taliafrench) I do like the movies, very much so. I tend to just get caught up in the changes and omissions (Tom Bombadill is one of my all time favorite characters in the trilogy). It's just a me thing.

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) You can get the whole romance in the Appendixes in the back of Return of the King. Trust me, it's almost as romancy as the movie. And it was going on the whole time, but Tolkien just stuck it in an Appendix instead of weaving it into the story.

message 22: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Yeah I know it is in the back, but it is not in the actually book.

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) Yup. All PJ did was just incorporated it into the story....instead of sticking it in a special featurette at the end. ;)

message 24: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Yep, but he did it really well. I think all the kissing should have been left out, but he has to throw a bone to Hollywood every now and then. And not because I am against the kissing, but because I felt it didn't stay true to Tolkien.

Talia (taliafrench) Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "Yep, but he did it really well. I think all the kissing should have been left out, but he has to throw a bone to Hollywood every now and then. And not because I am against the kissing, but because ..."

I couldn't have agreed more! I thought it was just an opportunity to throw Liv Tyler in there as much as possible.

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) Yeah...I was ok with the real times...but when Aragorn like is having a remembrance??? Forget it.

message 27: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

Oh good I am not the only person who felt that was out of place.

As a change in topic but still related to LOTR I don't know who cannot laugh at this quote about guessing riddles.

"No doubt you can guess it easily enough, since you are sitting comfortably at home, and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking."-

Classic.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahaha...sounds like something Gimli would say.

message 29: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (new)

No that would be Tolkien as he narrates The Hobbit. During the riddle contest.

Tabi {Sherlockian} Card  (FeyGurl) Yup. I like it how he kinda talks to you during the books...makes it feel like he's sitting right in front of you, telling the story.

Talia (taliafrench) I did enjoy how Tolkien wrote himself into the stories. He was a master storyteller.

message 32: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016, Beware the Leopard (last edited May 02, 2012 09:13PM) (new)

Yes the Hobbit was very much like him telling you a story on a winter's eve by the fire. The LOTR was a little different but you still got that feel. Not as strongly, those were more like history books.

(Is that your little girl in your picture Talia? She is so cute!)

Talia (taliafrench) Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "(Is that your little girl in your picture Talia? She is so cute!"

That's my girlie. :)

unread topics | mark unread