Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
This topic is about The Eye of the World
The Wheel of Time > EYE of the WORLD - Planning to Read? ***NO SPOILERS***

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Mod
Quite a few people expressed their desire to read the series in the Suggestions for Reading Schedule thread.

Pipe up here if you plan to join us on April Fool's Day, when we begin our epic journey through the Wheel of Time Series by reading The Eye of the World.

No spoilers please.

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments I've read this series several times, but I don't think I'll reread them. I think I might listen to them on audiobook. I can do that a lot easier at work without having to use my reading time for this series.

message 3: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia wrote: "I've read this series several times, but I don't think I'll reread them. I think I might listen to them on audiobook. I can do that a lot easier at work without having to use my reading time for ..."

Very good idea.

Heidi | 71 comments I will be joining! However I'm going to wait until April 7th to start reading since I'll be going on a 1 week cruise and there's nothing better than sitting on a boat reading a good book (which I know Eye of the World is because I've read it many times)! I have no doubt that I'll have caught up with the rest of you by the time I get back from my trip (I'll probably finish the book) so I'll have plenty of comments to add when I return.

message 5: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome Heidi. Enjoy your cruise! We'll be here for you when you return.

Bon voyage!

John | 123 comments Since the group is doing a read, I downloaded the audiobook from the library. I've previously read the book (3 times?), though probably not in the last 8 or 9 years. My first read was when I was in high school, and I think the series was only up to the 2nd or 3rd book at that time. I liked it a lot, way back when, but I have the suspicion that I won't have quite so much respect for it this time. I'm just not sure it holds up now that I'm older and I've read other--dare I say it?--more impressive fantasy series.

But hey, maybe I'm just giving it such short shrift because my last read has been so long ago. I do expect that it's still good enough that I'll enjoy revisiting it. :)

message 7: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

John wrote: "I'm just not sure it holds up now that I'm older and I've read other--dare I say it?--more impressive fantasy series. "

I too read this back in the late 80s, while in college. I am pleased to admit that I loved it just as much now as I did then, possibly even more, because I am looking through the lens of twelve additional Wheel of Time novels as well. I couldn't put Eye of the World down this past week, it riveted me and kept me turning pages, just as if I'd never read it before.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim I am planning on reading the books. I have never ready any Wheel of Time novels, but I have thought about starting them many times. I can't wait to start Eye of the World this afternoon!

message 9: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (JennyK89) I'm joining in on the series read. I've been wanting to read this series for a long time but I never had the motivation to start. My boyfriend loves WoT and owns all the books. This is totally going to throw off my monthly reads but it will be worth it!

Jacquelyn (jsglow) I'm w/ Kim L & Jenny...I've been wanting to read this series for a long time & am really looking forward to starting. My dad has been pushing WoT series for years; soon I'll finally be able to discuss them w/ him!

message 11: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim L wrote: "I am planning on reading the books. I have never ready any Wheel of Time novels, but I have thought about starting them many times. I can't wait to start Eye of the World this afternoon!"

How are you liking it so far?

message 12: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny wrote: "I'm joining in on the series read. I've been wanting to read this series for a long time but I never had the motivation to start. My boyfriend loves WoT and owns all the books. This is totally goin..."

I know what you mean. I've put all my other group reads on hold to re-read the Wheel of Time series, but I'm not regretting it.

Have you started Eye of the World yet?

message 13: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jacquelyn wrote: "I'm w/ Kim L & Jenny...I've been wanting to read this series for a long time & am really looking forward to starting. My dad has been pushing WoT series for years; soon I'll finally be able to disc..."

Glad to have you among us.

Welcome!

message 14: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maggie K | 956 comments Mod
I have read this book 3 times before, so I wont read it again, but will pop in to see how things are going...

message 15: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana | 27 comments I'm going to start reading as soon as I finish my current novel. I'm looking forward to it.

message 16: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (JennyK89) Jon wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm joining in on the series read. I've been wanting to read this series for a long time but I never had the motivation to start. My boyfriend loves WoT and owns all the books. This i..."

I'm not regretting it either. I'm only 4 chapters in but I'm already hooked. I love the characters, especially the friendship between the young men. If I didn't have so much school work right now I'd be a lot farther.

Helen | 555 comments I'm intending to read but I have 3 books ahead though, so I'll have to play catch up. Too many group reads!

message 18: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey | 59 comments I re-read this one last year so I'll probably just join in the discussion at the end, since I don't remember what events happen in which chapters. I hope to start actively re-reading with the group with book #2 next month.

message 19: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (Bywolf65) | 2 comments I am going to read along this time. I am a few days behind but I can catch up I hope.

Rosco (DeltaGardener) | 1 comments I'm reading it. On page 449.

message 21: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex | 104 comments I got a late start but I'll catch up.

message 22: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara | 12 comments I just joined this group and noticed that this is the same book I had planned to read after I finish the one I'm reading now... Hopefully I'll be able to catch up..

message 23: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara wrote: "I just joined this group and noticed that this is the same book I had planned to read after I finish the one I'm reading now... Hopefully I'll be able to catch up.."

Take your time. We will be here when you catch up. We will be reading the Wheel of Time series for over a year.

Glad to have you with us. Welcome to the group!

Terry Simpson | 5 comments I'll be reading the series again for about the 12th time.

Kathi | 141 comments Finally started...

message 26: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi wrote: "Finally started..."

Woot!

Helen | 555 comments I haven't started! Am finishing The Lions of al-Rassan (very good) then I don't know whether to do Mistborn 2 or this!

message 28: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen wrote: "I haven't started! Am finishing The Lions of al-Rassan (very good) then I don't know whether to do Mistborn 2 or this!"

We'll be here when you do. :)

Margot (freezebaby) | 94 comments Jon wrote: "I couldn't put Eye of the World down this past week, it riveted me and kept me turning pages, just as if I'd never read it before."

I definitely plan to join in this series read. And I completely agree with you, Jon, that even though I've read Eye of the World numerous times, I still find myself as enraptured as I was on the first read. I've read every book through book eight at least twice but admit I haven't read forward from there. I've been waiting for the rest of the books to come out so I can read them in one fell swoop. I'll be rereading 1-8 in audio and 9-14 in print.

Angelof | 49 comments I'm planning to read this sometime in July. I've been seeing the books of this series way back. Now that I've become obsessed with fantasy, I'm excited to take on the whole series. Here's hoping I enjoy it!

Helen | 555 comments I've started, am about 10% in. It's certainly caught my interest.

message 32: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen wrote: "I've started, am about 10% in. It's certainly caught my interest."

I hope it continues to. Glad you could join us.

Angelof | 49 comments Started reading a few days ago but some stuff got in the way of me making the progress I was hoping to make. Just started chapter 3 and I'm liking it so far. That prologue was pretty cool too.

message 34: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angelof wrote: "Started reading a few days ago but some stuff got in the way of me making the progress I was hoping to make. Just started chapter 3 and I'm liking it so far. That prologue was pretty cool too."

The Prologue ... can't tell you how many times I've gone back and re-read that Prologue ... hundreds probably.

Helen | 555 comments About a third through, very good. Don't understand how I've missed it!

Marilyn | 9 comments I finally decided to start this series and am 29% through it. I hemmed and hawed for so long on my decision to read this series, I took less time deciding on my daughter's name. Part of the problem was the weaker reviews the later books received. I like it so far.

Alicia | 11 comments Coworker has said enough about the series that I originally wasn't going to read it, but I decided it's about time to form my own opinion. I just started this earlier today. Only got through the prologue so far, so I don't really know what's going on, but it piqued my interest a little bit. I'll see how a feel farther in.

message 38: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen wrote: "About a third through, very good. Don't understand how I've missed it!"

Glad you're liking it Helen.

message 39: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marilyn wrote: "I finally decided to start this series and am 29% through it. I hemmed and hawed for so long on my decision to read this series, I took less time deciding on my daughter's name. Part of the probl..."

Glad you're liking it, Marilyn.

message 40: by Jon, What's a WoT? (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alicia wrote: "Coworker has said enough about the series that I originally wasn't going to read it, but I decided it's about time to form my own opinion. I just started this earlier today. Only got through the pr..."

The prologue to Eye of the World can seem a be 'heh?' when you first read it, especially moving on to the next/first chapter. Hang in there! It gets better and will make more sense later.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Eye of the World (other topics)
The Lions of Al-Rassan (other topics)