Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Writer's Station > Favourite book / blog about writng

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Clare Ashton | 28 comments I was thinking of asking this in the any tips thread but didn't want to detract too much from the personal tips.

Are there any books or blogs about writing that you've found vitally useful?

My favourite book so far has been "Revision: A Creative Approach to Writing and Rewriting Fiction", by Michael Kaplan. I found it helpful to have a book with an emphasis on editing. He illustrates his points using his own short stories so I found his advice more effective than just stand-alone pointers. I didn't particularly like his stories but I loved "Revision".

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i can't say there's a book i found helpful, but i can tell you a book that was not helpful: "on writing" by stephen king. it was a nice book, but it wasn't helpful for writing other than to tell me to find a comfortable place to write, write a lot, read a lot, revise a lot. that's about it. half of the book was more of an autobiography than about writing.

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 50 comments Joseph Konrath's blog has been really helpful as has David Gaughran's. They both talk about self publishing a lot and really gave me the know-how to have a go myself. There's some realy helpful stuff on there.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i follow david's blog and twitter feed. as for self publishing, yes, he has a lot to offer. i haven't found any writing advice from him though. i guess i haven't looked for it.

Clare Ashton | 28 comments Thanks for the David Gaughran recommendation. There's some great stuff in there for indie authors.

Paula Millhouse (pmillhouse) | 133 comments Clare wrote: "I was thinking of asking this in the any tips thread but didn't want to detract too much from the personal tips.

Are there any books or blogs about writing that you've found vitally useful?

M..."

Hi Clare and the rest of the group,

Check out The Kill Zone:
http://killzoneauthors.blogspot.com/

These folks are traditionally published and their blog is WONDERFUL. They share the daily posts, and anyone can comment and join the conversation.

Reading TKZ blog is like getting a Master's in writing on the web.

They're simply amazing.

Check it out.

Paula
www.paulamillhouse.com

Paula Millhouse (pmillhouse) | 133 comments Also, one of my recent blogposts hosts a list of all the writing books I've found useful over these past few years as I learn to become an author.

Anything by James Scott Bell is stellar for learning the Art & Craft of writing, IMHO.

Paula

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Chuck Wendig is laugh out loud funny. He gives advice in an enjoyable format.
http://terribleminds.com/

Christine Keleny (christinekeleny) | 26 comments I would ditto David Caughran - he keeps up on trends and seems to try and give all sides of an issue.

unread topics | mark unread