Books2Movies Club discussion

The Road
This topic is about The Road
Past Monthly Reads > The Road - A Movie

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Mar 27, 2012 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1422 comments Mod

Lucky me this time – only one movie adaptation for The Road. In only few sentences the story might sound just a rehashed version of any previous post-apocalyptic science fiction work, but it won great many prizes, so there must have been some good catch in it, that was presentable on the big screen.
An aussie director John Hillcoat had already made one melancholic movie with the awesome australian outback scenery, The Proposition. The background in this movie is now american wasteland, but the haunting music belongs again to one and the only Nick Cave. This was also the director's second collaboration with Guy Pearce, but his role here is significantly minor – the main actors who had the whole film on their arms were our beloved Aragorn, Viggo Mortensen, though not unfamiliar to such long journeys, and Kodi Smit-McPhee, a new child actor hope the director brought from Australia. He appeared also in Let Me In, the american remake of Let the Right One In , which is again naturally made from a novel, Let the Right One In. Worth checking too ;-)

Long story short, here we may discuss the movie adaptation, post any curiosities we find about it, and of course, compare it with the original source. The book itself should be discussed in its own thread.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Oh, there is a movie?? I had no idea. I've read the book, interesting with nice descriptions but too much depressing for my taste. Now I'm curious about the movie.

message 3: by Iman (new) - added it

Iman (Iman_Lily) I watched the movie but hadn't got the chance to read the book yet. It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember that the movie had some really dark and grim scenes as well. However, I was glue to my TV and made me reflect on my life right now. It's funny how suddenly a piece of bread could mean everything to a person.

It was an opposite case with me - I haven't heard of the book before seeing the movie :-)
The movie was indeed sad and I agree - it makes you really think about your life. There was a kind of elegiac beauty in the scenery and the narrative that totally captivated me. Viggo also seems born for such dismal characters! I hope to start reading book soon so to watch the movie again.

message 5: by Denis (last edited Mar 27, 2012 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denis (crnisokol) | 15 comments Rarely occasion that movie is better than book. Hmm, or maybe not, because last month we read The Turn of the Screw and movie adapation The Innocents was better than book too. :D

Well I really liked the movie, it's sad like others said, and in the focus is not apocalypse, which I assumed will be, in focus is relationship between father and son.
Also, the best scene for me was one in which Viggo gives the kid Coca-Cola for a drink.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Parts of the movie freaked me out (I can be quite sensitive at times), other parts made me very sad.
I couldn't sleep for a week after watching it.

I liked the kid.
Although all the bad things he had to endure he was still concerned about the well being of other people.
That impressed me a lot.

I'm looking forward to read the book.
It's been sitting unread on my shelf way too long :)

@Denis I loved that Cola scene too :-) I think the book expressed that really well too. Last few days I've spent reading the book (so much I ignored the web almost completely) and I liked it. Some things like the environment movie displays much better, but the internal mood of the protagonists I think book presents better. Maybe seeing the movie before reading the book helped me to appreciate it more. Or it wouldn't affect my opinion at all - I'll never know I guess :-)

@Dodo the most scariest scene I've seen in a long time was the basement and its...er... contents. It scared me witless! I perfectly understood the boy for not wanting to go into another one!

Their relationship was really touching one, I felt really sorry for both of them. The only light father saw in his boy, and the child itself was so in awe of his father. The only thing I couldn't understand was the wife - how could she leave them? I get that the hope was scarce, nonexistent even, but you have a husband and a son that love you so much, derive the strength from that! I would stay with them until the end :-(

Dragondrool | 2 comments Zeljka wrote: "@Denis I loved that Cola scene too :-) I think the book expressed that really well too. Last few days I've spent reading the book (so much I ignored the web almost completely) and I liked it. Some ..."

The Coca-Cola scene was my favorite in the book and movie both.

I read the book first, and had a hard time patiently waiting for the movie, which only played where I live for one week. I braved a blizzard and a couple feet of snow and ruts just to be able to see it in the theater, and was not at all disappointed.

Dragondrool wrote: "...had a hard time patiently waiting for the movie, which only played where I live for one week. I braved a blizzard and a couple feet of snow and ruts just to be able to see it in the theater, and was not at all disappointed. "

In my town, it played just for a week too, with almost nonexistent audience, which puzzled me, as the movie poster for me was looking powerful enough to attract the viewers to the cinema. I guess tastes change... As for blizzard, that was really courageous, I wouldn't dare to go out if not really needed! You certainly have experienced with your own eyes a bit of the book's ambience ;-)

Dragondrool | 2 comments That I did.

I thought I was going to be an audience of one that day until just before the previews started. As it ended up, there were five of us for that showing.

Dragondrool wrote: "That I did.

I thought I was going to be an audience of one that day until just before the previews started. As it ended up, there were five of us for that showing."

LOL You inadvertently got the complete vibe of the movie ;-)

Sechine | 32 comments Just got around to watching the movie.. definitely easier to watch than the book was to read. But it did seem like they'd "cheered up" the movie a little bit.

Which one I prefer? Hard to say.. I wasn't a huge fan of the book but I'm not too fond of the adaptation either.

I wish they'd added those couple lines to the Coca-cola scene.
"Is it because this is the last one I'll ever have?" "Yes."

message 13: by Zeljka (last edited Apr 15, 2012 01:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sechine wrote: "Just got around to watching the movie.. definitely easier to watch than the book was to read. But it did seem like they'd "cheered up" the movie a little bit..."

Yes, that thing was different from the book. The book is totally dark, with no light at the end of tunnel - at least I do not recall any!
The end of the movie made me to wonder a bit, it was so inconclusive. (view spoiler) When I've seen the movie for the first time, I asked myself that question - is that really it? - and wanted clearer, more conclusive ending. I didn't know then anything about the book, so my viewpoint was er... slightly different from an intended one.

It's good to have different points of view for the same thing - that way we all can give the better insight of what the reader(s) might expect of something. For an example, my liking of them both certainly doesn't mean you really MUST see and worship them (that would be a ridiculous demand anyway!), because I know some of my friends to whom I might talk about them, but wouldn't recommend to read/see, because both totally do not suit their tastes. That's why GoodReads is so good :)

message 14: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Goluza | 18 comments I did it. I watched the movie. I like it. Not better than the book but not much worse. I must admit that the book was more depressed than the movie. This is probably due to the style of writing, short sentences ... I loved the old man Ely and I am more attention to him in the movie than in a book. Wise old man.

Dina wrote: "I loved the old man Ely and I am more attention to him in the movie than in a book. Wise old man. ..."

Good point, Dina, I forgot about him! Yes, I agree too. In the book he was more like just another one passer-by, his presence was more powerful on screen. Maybe it's because of Robert Duvall himself ;)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 550 comments Mod
Sechine wrote: "Just got around to watching the movie.. definitely easier to watch than the book was to read. But it did seem like they'd "cheered up" the movie a little bit.

Which one I prefer? Hard to say.. I ..."

I agree, I was waiting for those lines in the Coca Cola scene, that was a very powerful moment in the book.

Yeah, and the basement scene... I do NOT recall that being in the book, I'm darn sure I would have remembered it! I think it was more added for cinematic value, but, I don't mind it like I would in other films because honestly, it's probably very realistic, though horrible. I just never care to see anything like that ever again and I've had to turn it off for a while now and watch something cheerful. I'm taking it in about 20 mins at a time, which is prob not at all the way to watch it, but it would just be so darn depressing to watch otherwise, esp with other life drama going on in my world right now. So far though, I do have to say they've done a good job mostly keeping to the book (the most obvious difference being that they're headed south rather than west) and what they've changed has just been for the visual but still in keeping with the overall feeling of the story.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Let the Right One In (other topics)
The Road (other topics)
The Turn of the Screw (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nick Cave (other topics)