52 Books in 52 Weeks (2012) discussion

Reviews. > Week13. (25 - 1 April)

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ali (AliAlghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
"In this thread, everyone will post their reviews/opinions of the book they have read this week AFTER you rate/review it on your page. The purpose of this is so everyone can see what you read this week and read your review without having to visit each profile. Some of you have their profiles locked, so this saves you the trouble of unlocking it.

ANY COMMENTS THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO THAT MATTER WILL BE DELETED.

The format will be like this:

Name of book.
Author.
n/5 stars.

"Your simple opinion/extended review/one word that expresses what you thought of the book. GO CRAZY! Anything counts. Don't feel pressured."

Link to your review.

Also, this allows us to be organized, so even if a member didn't log in for about a month, they can add the book they've read to the appropriate thread.

THANK YOU ALL!

EDIT:
As I've mentioned in the guidelines, one word or a simple opinion counts as a 'review'. I only called it that because Goodreads calls it that."

Now let's see your achievements, awesome people.

Mohammad Nassr (Modidoody) | 54 comments Yellow Submarine by The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
By The Beatles
4/5
I'm a beatles fan and i've waited quiet allot to read this book. light book, i read the iPad version wich has a lovely interactive.

Ali (AliAlghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
آينشتين والنسبية
مصطفى محمود
4/5

آينشتين والنسبية by مصطفى محمود

كنت متعقد من النظرية النسبية ومستصعبها، كله من الناس اللي تكرهك في العلوم، ابتداءً بالجامعة!

الدكتور مصطفى محمود رحمه الله عنده أسلوب ماهو عند غيره! يقدر يكتب كتاب مختصر مفيد وواضح وكافي ووافي في 100 صفحة فقط دون كثرة الحشو وإعادة الكلام! لست ممن يحب العلوم كثيرًا، لكن تستهويني نظريات آينشتاين منذ زمن وخصوصًا النسبية، كيف يعتقد البعض أن الزمن يرجع، وكيف يختفي! هل ممكن أنه الجاذبية ماهي قوة؟ هل الزمن بعد أو لا؟

الكتاب أتوقع مفيد للكل بدون استثناء حتى البعيدين عن العلوم التطبيقية والنظرية يمكنهم قراءته لسهولته ووضوح فكرته. رحم الله الدكتور.

Azhaar Al-amoudi (Azhaars) | 5 comments رحلة ابن بطوطة المسماة تحفة النظَار في غرائب الأمصار وعجائب الأسفار by ابن بطوطة

أرخ رحلات ابن بطوطه الشاب ابن جزي
اعتنى به وراجعه
د.درويش الجويدي

2/5

الكتاب الى حدما ممتع لمن يحب الأسفار ويحب السجع والحكايات التاريخيه
بالنسبه لي شخصياً لم يحمل الكتاب الكثير من الحصيله الثقافيه الجديده ، والمتعه الى حدٍ ما

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (Unheard) | 62 comments with this book I conclude my March list :) .. it's so good to feel some sense of achievement ..

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand
Book: Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Finished Date: 26.Mar.2012
Rating: ★★★★☆
Review: Highly enjoyable & entertaining

≈ I can't believe what I just read. This was way better than Unearthly. Yes it has some really "WTH" parts but it was really better in depth of myth and subplots. ≈

Ally Atherton (AllyAtherton) Ashwaq wrote: "with this book I conclude my March list :) .. it's so good to feel some sense of achievement ..

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand
Book: Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand
G..."

Ali wrote: ""In this thread, everyone will post their reviews/opinions of the book they have read this week AFTER you rate/review it on your page. The purpose of this is so everyone can see what you read this ..."

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Puck and Shaun live on an island called Thisby, a quaint, old fashioned kind of a place where killer horses come out of the sea every October!

Puck is an orphan and is struggling to make ends meet and decides to take matters into her own hands by taking part in the famous Scorpio Races, where islanders race the dangerous water horses along the treacherous beach. Every year this beach is left covered in blood and the population of Thisby is viciously reduced. If Puck can win the race she will be able to save her home but things take on a new meaning when she meets Shaun Kendrick, the local horse whisperer who has his own reasons for winning the race.

I was attracted to this book after reading a review in my local newspaper and also by its beautiful cover! It's a little bit longer than your average novel but well worth the read, I really liked the story and the two main characters were real and captivating. The island revolves around the magical and dangerous horses or Cappaill Uisce that live in the sea and the whole book has a lovely magical feel to it. It definitely has a Young Adult feel to it but also has a little bit of everything for all ages including fantasy, horror and romance! I'm not a young adult but really enjoyed this book. It is colourful and imaginative just like its wonderful cover design. It leaves you with just enough answered and unanswered questions and builds to a satisfying ending.

I have read some mixed reviews for 'The Scorpio Races' and for Maggie Stiefvater's other books ( which I haven't read) but mine can't be anything other than positive. Well worth a read, whether you are currently sitting your school exams or slowly decaying like me.

5/5

Ally Atherton (AllyAtherton) Sorry that comment somehow becam attached to another one!

Ally Atherton (AllyAtherton) Are you turning into your Dad by Joseph Piercy

"You know when you're turning into your Dad when......

The end of your tie doesn't come anywhere near the top of your trousers.

The four letter word for something two people can do together in bed is 'read'.

The gleam in your eyes is the sun hitting your bifocals.

Work is a lot less fun, and fun is a lot more work.

You can live without sex,but not without your glasses.

You have a party and the neighbours don't even realise it.

Your ears are hairier than your head.

You start making maps of your wrinkles in the mirror."

This is a very funny little filler that I was given a few weeks ago. It is full of humorous quotations and anecdotes about the joys of getting old and realising that you are in fact turning into your Dad! I couldn't find many reviews about this book online and this may be the only one out there, but I would recommend it if you want a good giggle.

Personally I have known for a long time that I am a clone of my Dad, and its not just because of my thinning hair and belly. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone visiting my parents, only to be stopped in some store or chippy by somebody who thinks I AM my Dad! Either I look old or he looks young!

" Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."

Charles Schulz

4/5 (l

Najla S. (Najla_SG) | 12 comments الأشج by غازي القصيبي
غازي القصيبي

5/5 stars
March 25, 2012

بعض من سيرة عمر بن عبدالعزيز في قصيدة.. لا أقرأ الشعر ولست من محبيه، لكن "الأشج" أعجبتني كثيراً..

الإخبار عن المرأة في القرآن والسنة by ألفة يوسف
ألفة يوسف

1/5 star
March 27, 2012

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. John Perkins by John Perkins
John Perkins

4/5 stars
March 30, 2012

Confessions of an economic hit man on the dark side of the world, the side of big corporations control over the world of politics and the victim is the people, you and I. It's not usually the kind of book that I personally would read, but for some reason I was attached to it from the first page.. It is the kind of book that would let you feel depressed by the state of the world we live in...

message 10: by Asmaa (last edited Mar 31, 2012 02:11PM) (new)

Asmaa The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
4/5

When I started reading the book I hadn't realized what I was getting my self into. First, this is not a book that you can read in a day. Second, You will not like it as soon as you start. Third, it is deep.

What pulled me in first was the auther's way of writing. Narrated by Death itself, the auther adds another character into the story. He almost has a sarcastic personality, and he will give you information straight to the point. You might think that this leaves no thinking for the reader (sign of a bad book) but oh, it does.

The story is set in Germany, before and during WW2 (why are people still writing about the war?). Even though the main character is 10 years old, you cannot tell. Her heartbreaking story starts with the loss of her loved ones, and it continues through out the whole book. It is a story of love, family and friendship, people who are there when times are tough too.

The fourth star is for my tears at the end of the book.

Asma (Asthma) | 20 comments Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver.
5/5
<>
To say that I loved the book would be a grave understatement. I squealed like a little girl when I got my copy(Thank you Asmaa<3). Compared to the first book, Delirium, which was pretty, auto-tuned and monotoned; sweet and thick like honey where incidents slur by-in a good way-, Almost half this one is practically buzzing with excitement, thriller at every turn of a page, unexpected twists that will keep you hanging on. NOT ridiculous explosive events but alluring descriptions of a minuscule moment that unravels to an engaging story that will keep you on the edge. The last chapters were explosive. Lots of moments happening at break-neck speed and cramming into each-other, waiting to explode at last.

<>
To make myself clear, this book is told in a format of "NOW" and "THEN", as in, BEFORE she moves into the city when she's still in the Wilds, and THEN when she moved into the city. Heads up, you'll be rushing through the THEN chapters to go on to the the good stuff.

Now, dissecting the story and analyzing the plot. The first half is about her being trapped with this new boy-Yes, there's a new boy- which may sound girlish but not really. I hated him-Julian's the name- at first but when he opened up I realized that he's the new Alex. I started to like him. I went back to reread the chapters about him as I now see him in a different light. To break it down for you, his attitude resembles hers in the beginning of Delirium towards Alex. Which is endearing because it brings back some of that humor you glimpse when a believer in the cure starts rethinking his position. Asking questions and all. It reminds you of them- Alex and Lena- before. Once I'm 2/3 in the book I give up on Alex completely and secretly-GUILTILY- wish he doesn't show up. Not this late in the story when there's someone else in the picture that I approve of. No, this is not going to become another Twilight love triangle d*mn it!

Story goes on, so far really good. You will not be disappointed I promise. Everything turns out fine in the end and all. Oh, except for the part where I knew something would go wrong because everybody was euphoric and its not fun when everybody is happy so why not disturb this party with a new guest. Yes, "Alex" is the last word of the story. Shows up in a totally cliche way, her caught in act with her newest love interest. Love triangle, what do I know. *sigh* Still, I love the book and I'd pre-order the next one in the series if I could so go figure.

Shiroq | 25 comments Book#25
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel  A Novel by Deborah Moggach
Title: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Author: Deborah Moggach

3/5

I never thought I’d utter those words: the movie was the better version. The novels tells the story of a group of elderly British citizen that had to literally be outsourced to a home in India. You’ve got the pervert, the showy couple, the lonely lovely widow, and the racist. It’s interesting, but I don’t think it lived up to what I thought it would be.

Book#26
Paper Towns by John Green
Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green

3/5

It was an okay book. I mainly enjoyed the humor between Q and his friends. I had a hard time liking the lead female characters. Ended up not liking her at all.

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey
By EL James

3.75/5

I liked this book, would've given it higher but the writing is really not that great at some points and the author LOVES to reuse the same descriptions over and over

Sara (Sarasization) | 53 comments This is a Book by Demetri Martin

This is a Book
by Demetri Martin

3/5

It is funny!

Ahmad Badeeb (PaPEr_Cut) | 15 comments بيكاسو وستاربكس by ياسر حارب
بيكاسو وستاربكس
لياسر حرب
2\5

مجموعة مقالات وخواطر موّجهة غالباً لمجتمعنا. ربما كانت تطلّعاتي للكتاب فوق اللازم لكن لم يكن سوى خيبة أمل. فبالرغم من جمال وبساطة أسلوب الكاتب إلا أن المضمون مألوف والأفكار مكررة.

"لماذا يرحلون إلى مكة؟" أكثر مقال أعجبني.

Ghadah (GhadahKhalid) | 17 comments Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
2\5
The first book was way better.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Johara Almogbel | 52 comments The Strange Case of Mr. HydeThe Strange Case of Mr. Hyde by Cole Haddon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this. Mystery, a serial killer, and a character from one of my favorite classic novels all in one lovely mesh of pretty illustration. Plus, it's short, so it's great as a filler.